Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Retention vs NON-retention OC holster

I CC with a non-retention holster but curious what most OC'ers use, retention or non-retention OWB holster?

Default Re: Retention vs NON-retention OC holster

If you're going to OC in public, you need a good retention holster AND serious training in weapon retention.

(Philadelphia County)

All holsters "retain" the weapon. A properly built one doesn't require a strap/snap and your never-yielding vigilance ensures no one takes a grab at anyway.

(Montgomery County)

I OC my Glock 19 with a DeSante's Speed Scabbard. This is a retention holster.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; September 30th, 2011 at 08:31 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    All holsters "retain" the weapon. A properly built one doesn't require a strap/snap and your never-yielding vigilance ensures no one takes a grab at anyway.
    Why does every one on this forum think they are the know all be all weapons experts. Pennypacker you know what I meant by retention, Yes all holsters retain weapons but not all restrict access to your weapon. Simple question prefer, thumb break, strap, or other type of locking on OWB holsters or no retention device coupled with someones spidey senses to know what everyone around them are thinking.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Why does every one on this forum think they are the know all be all weapons experts. Pennypacker you know what I meant by retention, Yes all holsters retain weapons but not all restrict access to your weapon. Simple question prefer, thumb break, strap, or other type of locking on OWB holsters or no retention device coupled with someones spidey senses to know what everyone around them are thinking.
    There are other forms of retention beyond thumb breaks, straps & locking mechanisms.

(Bucks County)

I think he's talking about active retention, as opposed to passive retention. That's what I prefer, because I know I'm not trained enough to OC without it. One of these days I'll take a retention class.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    I OC my Glock 19 with a DeSante's Speed Scabbard. This is a retention holster.
    Just curious, what's the purpose in that leather flap that covers part of the grip? Is that supposed to aid in retention somehow?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Just curious, what's the purpose in that leather flap that covers part of the grip? Is that supposed to aid in retention somehow?
    The way the Speed Scabbard works is it offers two forms of retention.

The first and most obvious is the tension screw, which is adjustable for greater/lesser amounts of retention on the firearm. If you screw this too tight, you won't be able to remove the firearm at all. The firearm will literally be clamped within the holster.

The second form is it's precise molding. The holster's form is the exact shape of the firearm used with it so that it wraps around and holds it securely in all areas. Like a glove. You can see where it's held. It's also a very stiff leather that does not bend or deform. Think of a chinese finger trap. The harder you pull, the tighter it holds.

Only by pulling it straight up, while the holster is in a solid position can the firearm be removed. If the leg or belt moves with the holster the firearm wont come out. You can literally hold the firearm by the grip and swing it around and the holster will not come off of it. Pull it on any angle except straight up and it will act more or less like the chinese finger trap.

The flap you mentioned is probably just there to offer the greatest amount of cover & protection to the firearm without restricting access to it, and it does that really well. That flap does help keep the trigger guard behind more leather. With the firearm on my belt the people who have tried (in practice) have been unable to remove it from my holster, while to me, it is always easily and quickly accessible.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    If you're going to OC in public, you need a good retention holster AND serious training in weapon retention.
    Unfortunately this is not true. I know what you are saying but in really there are NO rules in PA regarding what you carry, how you carry, whether you are trained to use what you carry, or if what you carry is functional and safe.

I tend to carry in holsters that are probably considered non retention but they do hold the weapon securely and I think situational awareness is my best defense.

We can have a whole new thread about whether folks think mandatory training should be required for LTCF.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast