Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default FFL etiquette when ordering a rifle

Hi all,

I'm sure this marks me as a noob, but I was wondering what the etiquette is for having a rifle shipped to an FFL - can I order it now and then give them a heads-up that it's on its way, or should I contact them prior to ordering? I found a good deal on a Saiga 5.45x39.

Also, I'm Located in West Chester if anyone has recommendations for an FFL.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: FFL etiquette when ordering a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by tfox View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure this marks me as a noob, but I was wondering what the etiquette is for having a rifle shipped to an FFL - can I order it now and then give them a heads-up that it's on its way, or should I contact them prior to ordering? I found a good deal on a Saiga 5.45x39.

Seems to be whats good for the FFL. I dont deal with any FFL in west chester. But Kings shooters in KOP ship it there and just call and give a heads up its on its way ( just make sure its not from Buds they will not do a FFL shipment from them And i can understand why.) Lenoards in Upper Darby / Havertown Is good to deal with They will take any shipment just give them a heads up when you know its on its way... I know a few more but i have been getting horror storys about a few places.. Both of who I told you about are Fair and easy to deal with. good luck. Side note if this is your first in a while i might just buck up and create a relationship with some local shop first then have stuff shipped there. Just My .02

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the suggestions. Leonard's seems like it would be the most convenient - I roll right by it on Market every day on the way to and from work.

Any idea offhand what their fees are?

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the suggestions. Leonard's seems like it would be the most convenient - I roll right by it on Market every day on the way to and from work.

Any idea offhand what their fees are?
    On market????? I am talking about Leonard's On Lansdowne Ave In Upper Darby. Dont know if they have another in West Chester. If I remember right think the fee is $35.

http://www.leonardssportinggoods.com/

here is kings info also.

http://www.betterbullets.com/

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by AStudman97 View Post
    On market????? I am talking about Leonard's On Lansdowne Ave In Upper Darby. Dont know if they have another in West Chester. If I remember right think the fee is $35.

http://www.leonardssportinggoods.com/

here is kings info also.

http://www.betterbullets.com/
    Yep, right near where Landsowne intersects w/PA3 (Market) in Upper Darby.

I think I'll go with them.

Thanks again for the info.

(Delaware County)

Talking Re: FFL etiquette when ordering a rifle

Yep, right near where Landsowne intersects w/PA3 (Market) in Upper Darby.

I think I'll go with them.

Thanks again for the info.
    Ahhh yes forgot Your a West chester boy... You think Rt3 Is called Market street..... Us UD boys call it West Chester Pike Or Just "The Pike" Okay i am from drexel hill but still its Kinda Ud... And Havetown ... And Springfield....

just make sure its not from Buds they will not do a FFL shipment from them And i can understand why.
    Can you explain why?

Hi all,

I'm sure this marks me as a noob, but I was wondering what the etiquette is for having a rifle shipped to an FFL -.... should I contact them prior to ordering? ...
    ^ This. I doubt you'll even be able to order. You'll definitely be discussing this in detail before ordering anything through a dealer, either a brick & mortar shop or a kitchen-table dealer.

It's been a while since I leafed through 27 CFR 178, but here's how I recall how it applies today:

Ordering through an FFL generally has three primary details, all of which require agreement or at least familiarization before ordering.

Ordering protocol, FFL:
    The two styles seem to be:

• Customer orders or buys, arranges shipping to FFL place of business, then calls FFL with all the details
    • Customer goes to FFL with make/model gun info, FFL handles finance, interaction with seller and shipping arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    since the shipper needs to have a copy of the shippees ffl on file before shipping you might have to have the receiving ffl send his off before you order.
    To put a finer point on it: Federal Firearms Licenses concern receipt of firearms through commerce channels. It's legal for a non-licensee to ship to an FFL (dealer) or repair facility, but not to another non-licensee. In other words, you can ship a gun back to the factory for repairs, but not to another person if you sold it to them. Also, as a non-licensee, other parties may not legally ship modern firearms to you. Significance: Many FFLs will not accept shipments from non-FFLs dealers. It can complicate matters for the FFL if there's a problem with the transaction. If the gun isn't wanted for any reason by the customer, the FFL is stuck with the gun. This is why it's so common to hear that copies of FFLs are required on both ends. Likewise, UPS will not accept firearms in lieu of an FFL (also their policy). What to ask: This will become important if you try to buy a gun online (typically gunbroker) and the seller fails to mention they lack an FFL. Ask your dealer about shipments from non-FFLs. If your dealer won't accept shipments from non-licensees, you'll have to ask the seller about this detail before payment on any firearm under consideration.

Payment:
    Depending on the FFL, you'll either pay the FFL, or pay the seller and a fractional amount to the dealer. This will either be a fixed fee or a percentage, depending on the dealer's policies. Don't forget to allow for PICS and PA state sales tax.

Notification:
    Some dealers will require prior discussion or approval before ordering or buying a gun, others may be more lenient. Again, this depends on the dealer. In nearly every case, they will at least want to know a package is en route.

The closest brick & mortar gun shop to WC that I'm aware of is Gordon's in Lionville.
    http://www.gordonssportssupply.com/

By the looks of their web page, they might be able to handle your needs. The rest are kitchen-table dealers.

King's in King of Prussia also gets frequent high marks, John Bennett in Phoenixville is on this board. I haven't personally dealt with either.

And then there's Google...

Ahhh yes forgot Your a West chester boy... And Havetown ... And Springfield....
    That would be "Springfld" in local vernacular.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    that could be but aft has a web site to verify information.

And that would be BATFE, their instant-check portal is:Note that this works only for "01" dealers (commercial dealers), not 03 FFLs (curio & relic licensees).
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Can you explain why?
    Its a retail thing. Buds buys in bulk that drives the price down. Your typical local shop may Buy 4 of the New Springfield 5.25 XDM in 9MM for $600 and sell it for $650 (prices are all off the top of the head) and take 4 months to sell them..
    Buds May buy 400 and get a Bulk rate for 475 each and sell them for $550. and sell out in 3 weeks..
    The rate of Profit is MUCH hire for buds. But your local Dealer cant even Touch the price with out losing money.
    The Other thing is Shops do whats Loss leaders... Discount a Item less then what they pay to get you in the door/webpage they typicly have Little inventory on the item But get you in as hope that while there you will Buy something else... Examples of this are Black fiday sales.. They only have 15 of the Big screen TV that you want for $50.00 But people will come in all day to get it and walk out with other stuff..

Its a retail thing. Buds buys in bulk that drives the price down. Your typical local shop may Buy 4 of the New Springfield 5.25 XDM in 9MM for $600 and sell it for $650 (prices are all off the top of the head) and take 4 months to sell them..
    OK, I thought maybe there was something specific about Bud's that they didn't like.

Sure, local shops don't want competition from internet sellers. However, the internet marketplace isn't going away, and refusing to accept transfers seems like a losing batle. The customer will just go elsewhere, and the shop that handles the transfer makes $25 or $35 off the deal, plus they get a customer in the door for possible accessory and ammo sales and future business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast