Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Ruger LCP Vs. Taurus TCP

I'm looking to get a "pocket Pistol" for concealed carry. I want something light, easily concealable. I've narrowed it down to the Ruger LCP (what appears to be very popular) and the Taurus TCP (I know, I know. It's a Taurus. big whop!) Both pistols I see are Made in USA, which is somewhat important to me. I'm hoping some of you folks out there have some experience with either these pistols. As I said, I've got it narrowed down to these two. These two are the ones I would like to hear about. I'm sure there are other Brands (I.E. Kel tek, Walther, etc.). But I'm really not interested in those. any user reviews would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
    Obama hates me. White, male, employed, heterosexual, gun owner.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Ruger LCP Vs. Taurus TCP

Actually, Taurus is based out of Brazil, if that is a factor for you.

My brother like the ruger lcp and I am a kel tec guy, when it comes to pocket 380s.
    ...and they have a plan...

I've owned a ruger lcp, kel tec p3at and currently a taurus tcp. The only one I haven't had problems with is the TCP, knock on wood. Went through the other two first and got fed up with FTF & FTE. I may have just been unlucky because plenty of people seem to like them but mine wouldn't run reliably enough for carry. Also, the trigger on the tcp is considerably lighter than the other two and I personally find it easier to shoot.

I really like my tcp for what its worth. Comes with 2 mags as well, which is a nice plus.

Also, while Taurus is a brazilian company, the TCP is made in the USA. Says it right on the side of the frame of my tcp.

(Delaware County)

I have a LCP for a few years now, never had a FTF or FTE. when comparing the various pocket .380s the LCP felt complete. the others weren't quite as well built or balanced in my opinion.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

My LCP works great, i really like it. Really accurate with the CT laserguard.

I load mine with Buffalo Barnes 80gr+P solid copper hollowpoints.
    Last edited by Valorius; September 29th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.

(Lehigh County)

I've been carrying my LCP for almost 2 years now and would recommend it to anyone. I had a couple issues at first with defensive ammo (critical defense ended up being the best choice for me) but since then it's been perfect. I like the somewhat lengthy, deliberate pull of the trigger for a firearm with no safety that is carried +1. If you do decide to go with the LCP I would strongly recommend getting the crimson trace and a Crossbreed holster. The firearm is extremely accurate but small sights take longer to acquirer the target, especially in low light situations. Overall a great firearm... as with all pocket guns make sure to keep it cleaned and oiled and test your defensive ammo before carrying, not all brands work as well on every firearm.

(Lehigh County)

Look at the price differences between these 2 - you get what you pay for

(Lancaster County)

I have a lcp and never had any problems with it. With defensive rounds I really have to "slingshot" the slide in order for it to feed the first round though. I wasn't really accurate with it at first, but now I shoot it pretty good! I put a dab of white out on the front sight to help me aquire it better. It makes a huge difference and I highly recommend doing so.

I hate the trigger but the long pull is good since I never use a holster for this gun. I have big hands. I have to use more of the tip of my finger to pull the trigger the entire stroke without hitting the front of the grip inside the trigger guard.

I saw in a gun magazine I subscribe to a lazerlyte laser. It has a lower profile and is mounted on the side of the grip. I might look into it but I would have to take off the belt clip. Overall the gun is great for the size. I only carry it occasionally but well with the money.
    Last edited by ScreaminSS01; September 29th, 2011 at 04:57 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Look at the price differences between these 2 - you get what you pay for
    The price difference on the two guns new is about $30 so im not sure what your getting at here...

My dad has the TCP, my father -in-law has the LCP, and now I have a KelTec P3AT. When I was looking I had shot all 3 and found them to be very similar. I know that each one of the 3 has somewhere around 150 rounds through them with no issues at all. When I was looking, I had decided that I would be happy with any of the 3 and went with what I found the best deal on!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcjpr13 View Post
    The price difference on the two guns new is about $30 so im not sure what your getting at here...
    Damnit, nevermind, you're right. I was thinking of a different Taurus.

Oh well. $30 still buys 100 rounds of ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast