Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Update (?) to § 6106 and implications?

I noticed a conflict with § 6106 depending on where I read it from. This change relates to carrying in a vehicle with a license from a state which PA does not have a formal reciprocity agreement.

Version 1:

a. Offense defined. -- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

b. Exceptions. -- The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(...)
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Version 2:

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(...)

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    My questions:

1) Which version is current?
    2) If version 2 is current, this reads to me that a person from, say, NY, would need to find some list of approved states that the AG has put out. Is this correct?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Update (?) to § 6106 and implications?

#11 still applies even with the newer passage.

A license or permit from ANY state is valid when carrying/transporting within a vehicle.

The newer #15 is for complete reciprocity, like carrying concealed outside a vehicle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Default Re: Update (?) to § 6106 and implications?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    #11 still applies even with the newer passage.

A license or permit from ANY state is valid when carrying/transporting within a vehicle.

The newer #15 is for complete reciprocity, like carrying concealed outside a vehicle.
    Ahhhhhhh... I did not see that 11 remained in both. Thanks for straightening out my derp.