Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My Safariland ALS holster review.

So for my new M&P 9 full size I bought a safariland 6378 ALS holster. I have a Blackhawk serpa for my Glock but I wanted to try something different. The 6378 I think is a good holster. It holds my pistol close to my body, around the same distance of the black hawk serpa. However the 6378 is bigger than the serpa up and down wise. It’s taking some time to get used to it. When I have this holster on, with the belt loop attachment (it comes with paddle too). It holds it pretty snug. I did instantly take notice that when I run up the stairs it does NOT bounce around. Something my glock does in the serpa, the whole thing bounces. I’m not sure why this is exactly. The release to unholster it is a bit different than the serpa, which I got used to right away. Get a good grip, and it’s out. I however am used to the serpa having the front of the holster cut lower so you can draw a bit sooner though.

Everything fits pretty well with it; my only complaint is a belt loop on my jeans is stopping me from putting it at the 3PM position. Which bugs me a lot since the M&P is bigger. On my shorts it’s not an issue but my jeans it is….I could use the paddle I am sure, and it will be ok. If I put the cant forward a little bit as well I think that would help. The paddle seems to be pretty solid as well. However I am not going to have someone rip it off of me to test it out. With the belt loop attachment there is a piece of plastic “blocking” the slot to go from 1.5 inch belt to 1.75…If that piece of plastic breaks (it’s thinnish) then it won’t fit my 1.5inch belt correctly. I am curious if their universal belt loop is like the serpa where you can push the stuff around to make it fit. That is my only real worry with the holster. When I sit my body doesn’t hit the release, which I was a bit worried about. With the retention, I can hold the holster upside down, hit the release and the gun stays in place.

I will update this post if anything happens with this holster.

If anyone is curious about getting this holster, I would say go for it. I paid a total of $51 for it. It was $39 online, and then shipping. I bought it from Atlantic Tactical. They shipped it the same day, and I got it a day later.

I did not want an IWB holster at all for this pistol because of it's size.

This is the belt loop attachment that has the piece of plastic keeping it at 1.5

To tighten the retention.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; October 7th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: My Safariland ALS holster review.

I'm excited for more feedback. Is this holster a level I or II? I just couldn't get used to open top holsters.

I picked up a ALS 6360 (Level III) for my Sig Sauer 229, and I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
    I'm excited for more feedback. Is this holster a level I or II? I just couldn't get used to open top holsters.

I picked up a ALS 6360 (Level III) for my Sig Sauer 229, and I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

That would be a level 1 big guy... only 1 type of retention holding it.... level two would be that plus a lock mech.... level 3, screw, lock, total gun cover... etc.

Idk, looks like a piece of shrinkwrap over your gun. Does it come out if you do 10 jumping jacks

Also, I didnt know anyone carried a S&W for CC... If its anything like what I tried at Gander, I was surprised S&W put their name on it...
    Last edited by Glock_23; October 7th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post

Safariland doesn't exactly say that it's a level 2. I don't understand how a serpa can be listed as a level 2 and this not. They both need a button to release and thats it. Next summer, I may pick up a full level 3 holster from them
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; October 7th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Nothing wrong with the M and P. I have three Glocks and find the M and P line to be superior ergonomically.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    Safariland doesn't exactly say that it's a level 2. I don't understand how a serpa can be listed as a level 2 and this not. They both need a button to release and thats it. Next summer, I may pick up a full level 3 holster from them
    I was wondering wtf you were talking about until I looked closer and saw the "tab" on the thumb side.

Care to expand upon how it works?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    That would be a level 1 big guy... only 1 type of retention holding it.... level two would be that plus a lock mech.... level 3, screw, lock, total gun cover... etc.

Idk, looks like a piece of shrinkwrap over your gun. Does it come out if you do 10 jumping jacks

Also, I didnt know anyone carried a S&W for CC... If its anything like what I tried at Gander, I was surprised S&W put their name on it...
    So I suppose this is just the Glock fanboy inside you talking, not personal experience right?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post

It's a level 2.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    Both would be considered Level 2, when properly adjusted.
    One step is that the holster has some form of lock/latch that must be disengaged.
    The other is that if properly adjusted, the holster will "retain" the firearm because of the tension screw.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I was wondering wtf you were talking about until I looked closer and saw the "tab" on the thumb side.

Care to expand upon how it works?
    Emptymag,
    There is a thumb release , it's right beside the slide:

http://i45.tinypic.com/idujnm.jpg

The little black tabthere. When you have a full grip, your thumb falls on it, atleast for me. You use slide that back, and draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast