Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Taurus PT92 or Baretta 92FS

I am looking at purchasing my first pistol soon and of all the ones that I have looked at, the Taurus PT92 and Baretta 92FS have really stood out. I am a big fan of the open barrel design and from what I have seen, both appear to be very decent firearms.

My big question is: Which one would you recommend more and why?

And this will be my CCW.
    I've always wondered how the other side Lives - John Leguizamo, Land of the Dead

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Taurus PT92 or Baretta 92FS

I prefer Beretta just because it is Beretta - but I absolutely hate slide mounted safeties. ...so, I'd have to buy both. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

The Taurus is a clone of the Beretta, so I would simply stick with the Beretta.

I have one (Beretta) and love it. Great gun, you can't go wrong. I'd buy a 2nd Beretta rather than pick up the PT92, but that's just me.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Northumberland County)

I've heard that you pretty much can't go wrong with a Beretta and this helps solidfy that statement.

I'm fairly new to firearms (bought my first rifle 3 weeks ago, a Mossberg Tactical .22), and I know that some people don't like the open barrel design. Is there any specific reason they wouldn't or would it be purly based on there opinion of looks?
    I've always wondered how the other side Lives - John Leguizamo, Land of the Dead

(Indiana County)

The slide safety gets ripped on a lot by folks when comparing the PT92 and the 92FS and I have yet to get it. I can hit the safety with my thumb on the draw if I had it engaged to begin with.

I'd go Beretta.

(Beaver County)

Go with the Beretta. For the simple reason that if you decide later that you are a Glock/Sig/1911/whatever guy you will have a MUCH harder time selling the PT92 than the 92FS because of all of the armchair Taurus haters out there. I had to practically give away my PT99. Not cool.

If, however, you are not the sort that sells your guns later for upgrades or whatever, you will be just as well served with either pistol. Taurus makes a fine gun and the PT92 is <still> their flagship. Many prefer the frame mounted safety over the slide safety on the Beretta. You can save a few hundred bucks on a Taurus over a Beretta generally. Then again I paid under $500 for the barely used 92fs inox I bought this year off Gunbroker. Deals are out there.

Oh... slight nod to the Beretta for accessories. Though they generally fit the same holsters the mags are NOT interchangeable. And the Beretta mags are cheaper and easier to get.

My 2 cents. I own 2 Beretta 92fs and I have owned a PT92 and a PT99. I still have the Berettas.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Elk County)

From a little more than a week ago:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...urus-pt92.html

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

i have a Beretta M9. Pretty much the same as the 92fs. Can't go wrong with a Beretta.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    From a little more than a week ago:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...urus-pt92.html

Noah
    And another 92 comparison thread from less than a week ago:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/14...urus-pt99.html

Search is your friend . . .

(Franklin County)

Ok, Ok. If your new to the firearms and pistol game, I'll give you my two cents. People, for some reason, do not like Taurus. I have a taurus revolver, never had any problems. Although, I do not own a 92, I have shot both the Taurus, and the Beretta. To be perfectly honest, if I were in the market for a full size 9mm, I think I'd buy the Taurus. I do believe the Beretta may be put together a little better, but not enough to justify an extra $200. Just my observation. Let us know which one you ended up with. Happy shooting!

Oh yeah, P.S. if you are going to carry a concealed pistol. I would suggest NOT going with a Full Size Auto. My experience is, very hard to conceal, and when they are concealed, they are not comfortable on your person. SOmething you may want to keep in mind.
    Obama hates me. White, male, employed, heterosexual, gun owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast