Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Mauser for hunting

I'm fixing up my Turkish Mauser 8mm for hunting season. I've only hunted with a Savage .270 previously.

I'm getting a scope, sighting it in etc... I plan on using these rounds to hunt with. How accurate is the Mauser at say 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards and so on. My .270 was able to reach out to 200 yards like it was second nature... but since this is a new rifle and a new round how would it differ?

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mauser for hunting

I use my K98K for rifle season. Haven't shot anything living with it yet but I know it will do the job. I use 196gr soft point Prvi Partisan ammo. That stuff has plenty of punch to it. I tried the Remington corelokt ammo but that stuff is loaded down weak for 8mm ammo. The Prvi if you can find it is pretty cheap and very consistent ammo. I know my gun with iron sights shoots about 9 inches high at 100 yards. When it's scoped and zeroed, it's on the money every time.

Last edited by rovert97; September 28th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm fixing up my Turkish Mauser 8mm for hunting season. I've only hunted with a Savage .270 previously.

I'm getting a scope, sighting it in etc... I plan on using these rounds to hunt with. How accurate is the Mauser at say 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards and so on. My .270 was able to reach out to 200 yards like it was second nature... but since this is a new rifle and a new round how would it differ?

Thanks.
    I'm with the other guy-- Remington, Federal, and other American ammo makers purposely use a weak load, to safeguard against liabilities from guys who don't CHECK THEIR BORE-- there are two different bores for 8mm Mauser, and using a full CIP-spec load 8x57-IS can be quite dangerous in a gun that was bored for the earlier 8x57-S.

You definitely want to go Euro for 8mm rounds-- Prvi Partisan (PPU) is quite good, and they're boxer-primed. Sellier & Bellot also makes good, affordable 8mm ammo-- they make some with 220gr Sierra Game King bullets, but I can't find an American retailer who carries that particular model (most who carry 8mm S&B carry just the regular Soft Point, or occasionally, the Soft-Point-Cutting-Edge). I believe S&B's are also Boxer-primed.

They make very good hunters. Mines a Yugo 98k and it likes Private Partisan 8mm.
    Try it you'll like it.
    Last edited by group17; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I can guarantee the rifle will be accurate enough to hunt with, and will likely hold at worst 3 MOA. I think you should be able to expect 2 MOA if the bore and crown are good.

I cosign all the above suggestions to use full-power 8mm from Privi or perhaps reloads.

I love the k98s; some people still have style
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Somerset County)

While I agree the European ammo is probably the better to hunt with, the Remington you linked to is very similar to the 32 Spl. listed right below it on the chart.

32 Spl is practically the same as the 30-30 and that has killed a boat load of deer.

Definitely not as flat as your 270 but still quite capable within 150 yds.

Dale

(Franklin County)

This is what I plan to do... Please tell me if I am missing anything or if I should do anything different.

First thing is I need to change the bolt from a strait bolt to one that curves... like this: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=11659
    I plan on getting that kit to make the conversion. I hear you can't cycle the bolt when you have a scope/scope mount over the receiver.

Secondly I am going to attach this scope mount (that sits over the receiver). I don't like the ones that sit on the rear sights, I think it looks tacky and I'd have to get one of those special eye relief scopes or something... I forget what they are called. I don't want one. I like my eye being right up on the scope... well not literally on it, but you know what I mean. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=11652

Lastly I am going to get a 3-9x40 scope of some sort (I haven't decided on one yet), bore sight it with a laser say at 100 yards give or take, then fine tune it at the range.

Any tips or pointers to my above plans?

(Monroe County)

That scope mount will require you to probably carve some wood off your stock to make it fit. From what I've heard the bolt conversion if you want to call it that is basically cutting off your bolt drilling a hole in it and then screwing it back together at an angle. Doesn't sound fun, easy, or something I would ever want to do. Just saying.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Indiana County)

If you think a scout mount looks tacky, I doubt you will appreciate the ugly allen screw holding on the jerry rigged bolt handle.
    Just like the Mosin bolt setup, I find these "chop off your bolt handle and replace with a screwed on one" conversions to be a perfect example of a Bubba'd rifle setup.

That scope mount might work just fine, but remember that Mausers are all going to be different as far as the reciever goes, the front ring height can vary greatly.
    You will have to hog out your stock for the mount to fit and may have to shim up the rear.

Also, if you still have the bolt safety, a scope mounted on the reciever will most likely make it impossible to use.

I would suggest finding a gunsmith to put on proper mounts and bend the bolt, but you would still have the safety issue and most smiths are going to backed up so much that you most likely won't get it back in time to hunt with.

I use a K-31 for deer. haven't shot any with it yet but its very accurate (no scope).
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast