Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Tomato Stakes (mil Surp Guns)

I have started a small collection of mil surp guns. Some I can use economically some not so much. I was looking for some advice on where to land next.

I currently have:

1. 91/30 Mosin (Tula Works non-Hex)
    2. Steyer M95 Stutzen (Can not find ammo)
    3. M24/47 Yugo Mauser ($0.31 a round )
    4. K31 made in 1942 in excellent condition on layaway.

I was thinking next to get would be a SMLE Mark III No 1, the same style that is in one of my favorite movies Lawerence of Arabia. I am also and trying hard to find an M44 Moisin in good shape and a 1903A3 as well.
    Last edited by meb351; September 26th, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: grammar
    I want a French Lebel Never shot only dropped once.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Tomato Stakes (mil Surp Guns)

Make a trip to Security Military Depot near Indiana, 984 Dehaven Rd, Home Pa 15747
    724-349-9366

Last time I was there, (a couple of weeks ago), he had Enfields, a '03 and IIRC, I noticed a 44 behind the counter that he just got in.

He buys from local guys that picked over the racks at Springfield Sporters twenty+ years ago.
    He usually has some decent bolt action milsurps as well as current EBRs and AKs.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, the only places I knew of were Allegheny River Arsenal (which I heard is closed now) and JOLAR.
    I want a French Lebel Never shot only dropped once.

(Indiana County)

If your Steyr is one converted to 8X56R from 8X50R, Prvi-Partisan makes new ammo, not exactly cheap though, around $20 a box and if you scrounge gun shows, there is still quite a bit of the "nazi" marked ammo around as well but most dealers are jacking the price way up into the $2 per round range.

Brass is also available and Lee makes the dies in limited runs.

(Westmoreland County)

You might also want to try Highland Arms Co. in Ligonier. They have a few very nice Enfield SMLEs and No. 4s just now.

(York County)

I second the notion of getting a Lee Enfield SMLE. Wonderful gun, still sold for fairly decent prices and very, very fun to shoot. You should be able to pick up your SMLE for around $300 or thereabouts.

Sorry to say, there are NO deals on surplus ammo anymore... Just pay the premium or learn to handload your ammo. The previous poster about the Stutzen M95 Steyrs being almost universally to be had in 8x56mm is correct. Very few of those guns still exist in the WW1 8x50mm configuration (they do turn up from time to time, but they are very rare). Look for a BIG "S" or "H"on the receiver ring and you have an 8x56mm gun). Ammo for the 8x56mm is fairly easy to get from mail order houses like Graf and Sons, however ammo (From Hornady or Privi) is closer to $30 a box these days.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought a 7.7 Arisaka a long time ago. It's not a "last ditch" and has a chrome plated bore.

I reload it on the low end. Accuracy is fair.

You do have to be careful with them. They have some variability in chamber size. The "last ditch" rifles are worse than useless.

Gene

(Allegheny County)

Try John Brown's Armory in Beaver. Stopped in last week and they have a bunch of 03s and lots of other mil-surps. Quite a few Arisakas surprisingly, a few different Mausers and at least one #5 Enfield (no SMLEs or No 4s) but the selection changes often.

Prices are a little bit higher than you could find online if you have a C&R but not way out of hand and at least you can inspect the guns before buying. They also do layaways.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post
    I am also and trying hard to find an M44 Moisin in good shape
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...62x54R+Carbine

There you go. $199 for an M44.

I've been thinking about picking one up myself. And I'm not really a bolt gun or surp guy. But I thought it might be nice to have one laying around here. And I already have a bunch of 54R.

Hand pick will cost you an extra $10. But Aim doesn't usually dabble in kicked to shit junk. So I'd guess they already nit picked the lot before they bought it in the first place.

(Lehigh County)

meh...

$200 for an M44 is too rich for my blood. M44s seemed to have dried up until recently. I picked up *cough* a few for around the $150 or less range. Keep your eyes open and you'll see what I see.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...62x54R+Carbine

There you go. $199 for an M44.

I've been thinking about picking one up myself. And I'm not really a bolt gun or surp guy. But I thought it might be nice to have one laying around here. And I already have a bunch of 54R.

Hand pick will cost you an extra $10. But Aim doesn't usually dabble in kicked to shit junk. So I'd guess they already nit picked the lot before they bought it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast