Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LTCF

(Monroe County)

Default Re: LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    the reason they ask is because some of the developments up here are split in 2 counties with the address name showing in another county but its really monroe
    The reason they ask is to make sure you are 1. paying taxes, 2. a REAL resident of PA

a drivers license is not a requirement to get a LTCF in PA.

I'm personally much more against the whole "2 references in Monroe County" then the tax form thing
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoJo View Post
    You are correct, he has no legal right to ask for this. However, he does, and will not issue an LTCF without it. Won't even accept your application. Not cool, not the way it should be but that's the way it is and that's the way it's going to stay until someone comes up with the money and cojones to challenge it.

One more thing in general, we don't call it Berkheimers where I live (Tobyhanna Twp, Monroe County). It's Central Tax Bureau (in Berwick).
    Sheriff Martin does not have the right to ask any such thing. I challenged him on it and refused to give such info. I did take a moment to speak with the State Rep in my district and he put a call in to the sheriff. It made the old boy a bit testy but he did back down and accept the application....then made me wait the full 45 days, but I got the license without complying with this ridiculous request. He was definitely not happy that I was adamant about not providing anything not required by the statute and his deputy in charge of this detail is a joke.

I did not supply the 2 county references either. Pretty ridiculous rule to require references of 2 people when you are a new resident. I call it a back-door way to not issue the license and this comes from a guy who has a reputation for being pro-2A. He has run unchallenged for a number of years. That is a shame.
    Last edited by twoguns; November 5th, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarification

i just got my berk form in the mail and it reminded me that i haven't gotten my ltcf yet.
    same problem, didn't make friends with everyone nearby so don't have 2 ref's. address on DL is my mailbox (just read that i should provide both my house and mailing on the ltcf form)
    guess i'm going to give it a shot.

references, should i put people i know that don't live in monroe or just a big "N/A UFA"?
    Last edited by fallenleader; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

(Carbon County)

the only reason i dont have a real problem with it is because you have a shit load of part timers up here from new york and new jersey. why should they get a license if they live and work 5 days in another state? screw it, i say let him do what he needs to...weed out the people who shouldnt be able to have one.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    The reason they ask is to make sure you are 1. paying taxes, 2. a REAL resident of PA

a drivers license is not a requirement to get a LTCF in PA.

Neither is residency.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    i just got my berk form in the mail and it reminded me that i haven't gotten my ltcf yet.
    same problem, didn't make friends with everyone nearby so don't have 2 ref's. address on DL is my mailbox (just read that i should provide both my house and mailing on the ltcf form)
    guess i'm going to give it a shot.

references, should i put people i know that don't live in monroe or just a big "N/A UFA"?
    Use any 2 people you know. Doesn't matter where they live....just as long as not relatives.

deputy doofy, who didn't know what LTCF was, or the UFA. refused my application and handed me their compliance instruction sheet.
    because my "reference isn't valid (theyre in NY)" yeah.. i only had one because i was waiting on permission to use my neighbor when i surrendered my cellphone.

mind you the secretary offered to do the paperwork for him after i said "license to conceal"
    he told her "i've gotta learn it sometime"

ugh! i asked for a letter explaining why they refused it. he simply said "we didnt" figured i could FWD the letter and application to those who work above him, PSP, representative, something.

sheesh, it's like when i got my purchase papers in NJ, jump through hoops and comply with our demands.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Monroe County)

the only reason i dont have a real problem with it is because you have a shit load of part timers up here from new york and new jersey. why should they get a license if they live and work 5 days in another state? screw it, i say let him do what he needs to...weed out the people who shouldnt be able to have one.

Allowing the sheriff to tack on additional "requirements" to the application process is like allowing the people at polling stations to demand social security number and fingerprints to vote. It is an infringement on your right!

The legislature makes the law. Sheriff Martin's job is to uphold the law. It is not his prerogative to require anything more than what is stipulated under the law.

(Carbon County)

i didnt say it was right, i just said i dont have a problem with it. also, i know someone who lives in indian mountain lakes and its a albrightsville address, but half is monroe and half is carbon. so in order to keep someone from the carbon side from going there, i can see the berkhiemer thing or some tax bill to show you live in the county. when i got mine i talked to him for a little, he wasnt a bad guy and hes not against giving them out at all, there are some bad people in this county that come from other states and i think he just wants to make sure some weekender is not getting a license because the cant get them in NY and NJ...not knocking them people but i dont have a problem with it....is it right no, but i have one and so do you, whats the big deal

(Monroe County)

The simple solution is to eliminate the need for a @#$#@$ license to exercise the human right of self defense, and the rtkba.

No need for references, tax forms, or the aforementioned deputy.

But that would be too much like making sense.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Monroe County)

i didnt say it was right, i just said i dont have a problem with it. also, i know someone who lives in indian mountain lakes and its a albrightsville address, but half is monroe and half is carbon. so in order to keep someone from the carbon side from going there, i can see the berkhiemer thing or some tax bill to show you live in the county. when i got mine i talked to him for a little, he wasnt a bad guy and hes not against giving them out at all, there are some bad people in this county that come from other states and i think he just wants to make sure some weekender is not getting a license because the cant get them in NY and NJ...not knocking them people but i dont have a problem with it....is it right no, but i have one and so do you, whats the big deal
    As I stated in my previous post, "the big deal" is that the sheriff has no authority to demand extra info! It is very simple. When agents of the state act outside of their lawfully prescribed authority then they are abusing their power. It is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Frankly, after holding the position for over 20 years he should go away.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast