Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Carry a fixed blade

So for those of us unable to carry at work, or go to say Maryland, I there a fixed blade that you suggest carrying for self defense? In some of the photos i have noticed guys carrying the ESEE Izula, some carry the Ka-Bar TDI, etc.

I know that i want a fixed blade, when my .40 cal is unavailable.

Any suggestions or recommendations PAFOA?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Carry a fixed blade

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    So for those of us unable to carry at work, or go to say Maryland, I there a fixed blade that you suggest carrying for self defense? In some of the photos i have noticed guys carrying the ESEE Izula, some carry the Ka-Bar TDI, etc.

I know that i want a fixed blade, when my .40 cal is unavailable.

Any suggestions or recommendations PAFOA?
    Knife laws vary by area. What's legal in my hometown would get me tossed in jail in Philtadelphia. If that's not a concern to you, carry what you like.
    Molon Labe

(Allegheny County)

You can't carry a fixed blade in Maryland unless its for hunting/fishing. You can carry a folder locked open.

I like the bloodshark http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...?t=1665&page=1

(Franklin County)

When in MD, I carry a folder( kershaw blur). I can have it out just as fast as a fixed blade without the legal problems
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Centre County)

I used to carry a fixed blade but now only a folder. I do not want to give the cops ANY reason to arrest me when I am OC (almost always).

I want no distractions from the real reasons they may try to detain me.

(Bedford County)

Um is a concealed fixed blade illegal in PA?

(Montgomery County)

Depends on where you are. Knife laws vary from township to township. There aren't many Pa State Knife laws or protections.

(Cumberland County)

Nobody knows.

In Pennsylvania knife law isn't like firearms. Any municipality may enact it's own ordinances. So try to figure out what your local laws are.

So, now that we got that out of the way...

For a fixed blade I usually go smaller than larger. The Perrin La Griffe is a standard.

http://www.donrearic.com/perrin.html

The Fred Perrin Shark is another great little blade;

(Disclaimer; all the best fighting knives in the world won't do you any good if you don't know how to use them. Training is a must.)

A few other fixed blades...

I'm a Spyderco fanatic, so bear with me here. The Spyderco Street Beat is awesome, so is the Spot and the Swick, and the Ronin is also a fantastic fixed blade from Spyderco.

If you have to carry a folder you really can't go wrong with a Spydie. The Chinook is a great knife, so is the Massad Ayoob, as well as the Endura and Delica, which are two of the most cost effective

Michael Janich teaches some excellent courses using the Delica and Endura blades.

You should also check out Shivworks.
    Last edited by rwb1500; September 25th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

Being a kiltwearer I have a number of contemporary kilts that I wear to work or around the town. I usually have a sgian dubh in my sock. The only interactions that I have had with police are them asking me where I got my kilt!

(Dauphin County)

Knife laws vary by area. What's legal in my hometown would get me tossed in jail in Philtadelphia.
    I used to carry a fixed blade but now only a folder. I do not want to give the cops ANY reason to arrest me when I am OC (almost always). I want no distractions from the real reasons they may try to detain me.
    Depends on where you are. Knife laws vary from township to township. There aren't many Pa State Knife laws or protections.
    In Pennsylvania knife law isn't like firearms. Any municipality may enact it's own ordinances. So try to figure out what your local laws are.
    uhh....
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
    No one even talks about the constitutions anymore, I see...
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    "All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness."
    "To guard against the transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate."
    Shall not be questioned. The original preemption. So what the hell are people doing, relying on 18 Pa.C.S. 6120 as the supreme law of the land, and then telling us that knives are not protected?
    They'd even be protected under the living constitution reading of the Second Amendment, because they, like handguns (and rifles and shotguns), they are American favorites, and in the case of fixed blades as militia weapons, look at Kabars in the army, etc.
    It used to be unlawful to carry a concealed deadly weapon with malicious intent to do harm. We disposed of that kind of liability and came up with 18 Pa.C.S. 908 and 18 Pa.C.S. 6106 instead, in the past few decades.

While it is still possible for a court to determine a fixed blade of some length is an "other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose", history suggests it is unlikely, and no one has taken it to appellate court for a published opinion as of late. For a meta-analysis, see http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ml#post1449319 3/4ths of the way down my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast