Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default SOG K98 FOR $289

I took the plunge and ordered a k98 from SOG. The rifles are not a Russian capture and do not have an import mark on them.

first impression: Oh God I Wasted my money
    Taking the rifle out of the box I noticed rust everywhere and NONE of the parts matched. Being the person that I am who always wanted a k98. I decided what the hell and got to cleaning. The screws were rusted and would not budge and the whole gun was covered in filth. IT was like working with and untouched ima rifle. Yes it was that bad! But after an hour it was disassembled sitting in front of me in its rusted glory. Two hours later I got it to this point.

I'm hoping to work on the wood this weekend.
    Last edited by dlk51; September 21st, 2011 at 07:55 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: SOG K98 FOR $289

Looks like about what I got. If I were to do it again... I wouldn't.

I found an import mark on mine just behind the front sight. It's very very faint.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Allegheny County)

After cleaning the boar I'm a little happier but the wood is still a mess. I think that this rifle should have sold for around 200 not 289. Their is just too much work involved cleaning it up.
    Last edited by dlk51; September 21st, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Just thought I would update with some new picks after cleaning the stock a little

Over all Not very happy about this rifle.
    I feel that 289 was way to much for what I got. I know a few of you guy own K98 and i was just wondering what you think?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlk51 View Post
    I know a few of you guy own K98 and i was just wondering what you think?
    Fortunately some guys over at the CMP Forum who are local to SOG were able to give an early report on the quality of these K98s. After seeing what they were like I passed. IMO, you can still get nice RC 98s for around $350 on various forums so these were just too beat for $289 plus shipping sight unseen.

(Allegheny County)

Well I hate to do this but I am sending it back to SOG. I called yesterday and they said it would be ok. Well they will get it back nice and clean to sell to the next sucker.

(Allegheny County)

You gave them a shot; glad to hear they're making it right. Keep an eye on Gunboards 'cause you can usually get nice 98s for $350. Good luck.

(Allegheny County)

I found a couple m1's I'm interested in right now i am putting the k98 on the back burner. Also i am thinking of picking up a Steyr 95 Stutzen Carbine Austrian while there still cheep.
    I love my C&R

Sorry to hear you got a beater.
    Stories like this make me glad I shop at LGD where you can inspect the rifle before buying. I found a nice clean Yugo K98 for $200 with all matching numbers locally.
    They are out there.

(Berks County)

I don't know....looking at the prices of real K98's, from what details I can see on your pictures, I am not so sure you did all that bad. I see patina on the steel with little finish, but not much rust.

you can still get nice RC 98s for around $350 on various forums
    The wood may be nice and the rifle will have more bluing on a RC, but you will have the import marks, usually missing screws, defaced waffenampts and the electro-pencil marks all over it. Not worth it to me. I do have an RC myself though, when they first hit the market several years back, I went through a crate of them to find a "good" one and paid around $150 for it.

Your K98 should clean up nicely, the wood (other than the dings and dents) after a stripping and steaming, will probably lighten up and restain very nicely. The metal, while the finish is worn, doesn't look all that bad from what I can tell. If it does NOT have any import marks it will have a bit more value to it. You would need to get it out of the stock and see if there is any pitting anywhere. Usually where the receiver and barrel mates with the wood.

I have seen worse for more money, good clean ones are getting rare. I honestly don't think you did that bad on it. It's a 70+ year old warhorse that isn't being made anymore.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast