Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcester, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs down Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    Not until I found the "locate an FFL" link on Gunbroker.com did I realize how many shops are around me that do transfers.

    Well, I found Don Bennett's shop (actually a converted garage attached to his house) in Phoenixville. Big mistake.

    He told me he'd do the transfer for $35, but failed to mention until AFTER he had possession of the gun, that he ALSO charges PA sales and use tax. On the shipping, too.

    I told him that he gun was coming from a business so he said he'd HAVE to charge use tax. When I said "the guy manufactures custom rifles, Don. I"m buying a pistol that he owns personally. How do you see that as buying from a business?"

    "Well, first you told me it was coming from a business, now you say it's coming from his personal collection."

    "Yeah, that's right. Why?"

    "Well, I don't believe you, so I'll have to go with your first response."

    "Don, besides the fact that you're part time dealer (he doesn't mention this little inconvenient fact until AFTER he's had your gun shipped to him) this is getting to be an inconvenient pain in the ass. I'd like to you mail the gun to another dealer."

    "Well, fine, but it'll cost another $35."

    So, the seller in AZ has my money and this Bennett A-hole has my gun.

    So, what I do I do? I pay his extortion AND tax.

    Buyer beware of Don Bennett, part-time FFL dealer, extortionist, and sneaky little bastard, in Phoenixville.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,497
    Rep Power
    90900

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    I've often thought about checking his "shop" out. Thanks for the head's up. I'll pass with no regrets now.
    Μολὼν λάβε

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcester, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs down Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    The guy is really annoying and is always right. Sort of like a mommy's boy who never got married. Gee, I wonder why.

    Anyway, the "shop" is a joke. It's at the end of a one-way lane that is impossible to access and egress without getting hit by traffic.

    Inside, it's a mess, with crap thrown everywhere and with some stuff looking like it's been there for 20 years.

    Very unprofessional place. I'd be embarrassed to call that my place of business. You can barely discern what is for sale from what appears to be "being repaired."

    I'd steer clear. He's an unprofessional part-timer and a definite "ham and egger."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania
    (Northumberland County)
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    222179

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    i happen to know another place just like that!!

    is that legal????

    i think he may be in need of a vistit from the irs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Coatesville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    Not until I found the "locate an FFL" link on Gunbroker.com did I realize how many shops are around me that do transfers.

    Well, I found Don Bennett's shop (actually a converted garage attached to his house) in Phoenixville. Big mistake.

    He told me he'd do the transfer for $35, but failed to mention until AFTER he had possession of the gun, that he ALSO charges PA sales and use tax. On the shipping, too.

    I told him that he gun was coming from a business so he said he'd HAVE to charge use tax. When I said "the guy manufactures custom rifles, Don. I"m buying a pistol that he owns personally. How do you see that as buying from a business?"

    "Well, first you told me it was coming from a business, now you say it's coming from his personal collection."

    "Yeah, that's right. Why?"

    "Well, I don't believe you, so I'll have to go with your first response."

    "Don, besides the fact that you're part time dealer (he doesn't mention this little inconvenient fact until AFTER he's had your gun shipped to him) this is getting to be an inconvenient pain in the ass. I'd like to you mail the gun to another dealer."

    "Well, fine, but it'll cost another $35."

    So, the seller in AZ has my money and this Bennett A-hole has my gun.

    So, what I do I do? I pay his extortion AND tax.

    Buyer beware of Don Bennett, part-time FFL dealer, extortionist, and sneaky little bastard, in Phoenixville.
    Unfortunately, he's probably telling the truth.

    http://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1

    (that's a ridiculous URL, no?) It looks like you will have to pay use tax on the firearm, and since the firearm is taxable, so is the shipping.

    Sorry, Bro.

    Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Coatesville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    It doesn't mean the guy's not an asshat, though!
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    183

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    I have just found this piece on the net. BlownNitroPontiac is not exact in the Facts. The fee is correct and was stated to this gentlmen when he contacted me. ALSO I stated at that time that USE tax is due on item and shipping which comes from a Business out of state. He gave me the business name and transaction at that time. When the firearm came in he tried to tell me that the gun was a personal transaction, but I had a receipt from the business stating otherwise. The State regulations on taxes are posted and I showed them to him and he continued to argue the point, which I have no control. As far as being part time I am open evenings 4-8 PM and weekends unless taking care of Business elsewhere. I have also been in Business since 1978 in town and since 1985 have been in my converted Garage with all zoning in place. And for the guy who suggested a call to the IRS, I have a legitamite business and pay all applicable taxes. If anyone would like to check out my reputation or look at some of my stock, look up my feed back or search my auctions on gunbroker.com and ebay under the seller name bennettgun . Also my name is John not Don and feel free to call me with any questions at 610 933 6054. If you want to come over and check my stock, ask for directions to get to my dirt road on which I live with my wife of 33+ years.

    John Bennett III
    Bennett's Gun Shop
    1170 Rapps Dam Rd
    Phoenixville, Pa 19460

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,161
    Rep Power
    4148

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    Quote Originally Posted by bennettgun View Post
    I have just found this piece on the net. BlownNitroPontiac is not exact in the Facts. The fee is correct and was stated to this gentlmen when he contacted me. ALSO I stated at that time that USE tax is due on item and shipping which comes from a Business out of state. He gave me the business name and transaction at that time. When the firearm came in he tried to tell me that the gun was a personal transaction, but I had a receipt from the business stating otherwise. The State regulations on taxes are posted and I showed them to him and he continued to argue the point, which I have no control. As far as being part time I am open evenings 4-8 PM and weekends unless taking care of Business elsewhere. I have also been in Business since 1978 in town and since 1985 have been in my converted Garage with all zoning in place. And for the guy who suggested a call to the IRS, I have a legitamite business and pay all applicable taxes. If anyone would like to check out my reputation or look at some of my stock, look up my feed back or search my auctions on gunbroker.com and ebay under the seller name bennettgun . Also my name is John not Don and feel free to call me with any questions at 610 933 6054. If you want to come over and check my stock, ask for directions to get to my dirt road on which I live with my wife of 33+ years.

    John Bennett III
    Bennett's Gun Shop
    1170 Rapps Dam Rd
    Phoenixville, Pa 19460
    A dealer is not responsible to collect use tax. A dealer is not even required to tell the customer about use tax. The use tax is to be paid by the end user not collected by the transferring dealer.
    If I am wrong please let me know. I will be calling the PA Department of Revenue tomorrow. You are the only dealer I have ever heard of collecting tax on a transfer.
    You may want to look at the PA-1 form
    http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/reven...venue/pa-1.pdf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    453011

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    Holy moley!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    ...
    He told me he'd do the transfer for $35, but failed to mention until AFTER he had possession of the gun, that he ALSO charges PA sales and use tax. On the shipping, too.[/quote
    Uh..... Use tax is not owed on items you pay sales tax on. Use tax is not something that a business collects from a customer for items they paid an interstate seller for.
    If any business is charging you use tax they are a SCAM.
    _________________________________________

    danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    453011

    Default Re: Bennett's Gun Shop; Phoenixville

    Quote Originally Posted by bennettgun View Post
    ... ALSO I stated at that time that USE tax is due on item and shipping which comes from a Business out of state.
    WRONG.

    You have NO authority to collect use tax. If you think you do you better get your hiney over to the Pa. Dept of Revenue web site and do some reading.

    Quote Originally Posted by bennettgun View Post
    ... He gave me the business name and transaction at that time. When the firearm came in he tried to tell me that the gun was a personal transaction, but I had a receipt from the business stating otherwise. The State regulations on taxes are posted and I showed them to him and he continued to argue the point, which I have no control.
    If you get an item in that the customer paid the seller (interstate) for directly you DO NOT charge sales tax on that amount.
    You have been in biz since 1978 and do not know this? The Dept of Revenue would have a field day with you if they ran an audit on your biz.... You had better get your act together.
    Call dept of revenue for clarification before you get your ass in a sling.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; May 12th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
    _________________________________________

    danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: December 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
  2. gun shop
    By rich in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
  3. Gun Shop on Pay Day
    By Mr_Anderson in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
  4. Gun Shop
    By John Fox in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
  5. [French Creek Outfitters, Phoenixville, PA] great experience
    By romeo oscar bravo in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops