Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to allentown, looking to get a concealed permit

Hello,

New to Allentown, just got my drivcers license transferred, whew, sure was a task. Anyone know where my references need to be from, seeing how I just moved here, it may be tough to get local residents without (perhaps) scaring the neighbors... Thanks in advance.

Rob

(Berks County)

Default Re: new to allentown, looking to get a concealed permit

According to PA law, there are no criteria for references other than that they can not be family members. However, some Sheriffs do attempt to apply additional restrictions, and Lehigh County's Sheriff is one of them.

A friend of mine who used to live in Lehigh (Lower Macungie) looked into getting his LTC, and the application indicated that references need to be Lehigh County residents. Not sure if this has changed recently.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Thanks for the info, I'll call them tomorrow and find out, that would make it harder for newer residents. Take care.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by seto View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll call them tomorrow and find out, that would make it harder for newer residents. Take care.

Rob
    Well I went down today to apply, it says the references MUST be from Allentown, I used 2 folks I know, still don't think they're as good as people who have known me longer but I'm following the rules. It was a fast process, filled out the form, made my $38 payment and took my photo all in 10 minutes. Now I have to wait 2-3 weeks to 45 days. We'll see how long they take.

Rob

(Lehigh County)

When I renewed a strange thing happened. I filled out the two county residents required by my sheriff. Neither got a form or any correspondence from the Sheriff's Department. My renewal came in the mail.

Yeah me too (my references weren't contacted), forgot to post back I was too excited! My permit was approved on Dec 28th and it was sent within a week. Now I'm all set.

Rob

(Lehigh County)

Sorry, coming into this a bit late.
    What happens if you do not live in Allentown? I live in Laurys Station (but work in the Reading area, which should be enough to explain why I want a permit) and don't even really know anyone here to use as a reference, let alone someone in Allentown.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: new to Allentown, looking to get a concealed permit

This makes me happier I live in Montgomery County. In and out in 15 min and I had a slip of paper to get my local police chief to sign. If he knew or had any suspicion of me for any reason he would not sign. That would force me to get a lawyer and see a judge to force the issue. Just a roadblock for those who have a clean background from never getting caught.
    In my case he asked how long I have lived in his area and I said I just moved in. He asked me "what kind of gun do you have and do you know how to safely shoot it?" I said yes and that I shoot IDPA. His eyes lit up and he said great.
    Back to the Sheriffs office, quick call for background check, flash of the camera and I got my license.
    Funny part was my hair. The person handling said "your hair color is not dark brown". I told him that dark brown was my natural color but I have dyed it red all my life. And that it was most likely all gray by now.
    He changed it to red on the license.

Default Re: new to Allentown, looking to get a concealed permit

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    Funny part was my hair. The person handling said "your hair color is not dark brown". I told him that dark brown was my natural color but I have dyed it red all my life. And that it was most likely all gray by now.
    He changed it to red on the license.
    Yeah some times they are funny about things like that. In my case, it would be Brown by Qb.. And how come they dont accept yes as an answer for sex?

Ohh Qb is Quickly Balding
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lehigh County)

When i applied for the permit in Lehigh County the app. asked for 2 references in Lehigh County. And it does specify Lehigh County.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast