Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Permit to cary Denied

These sherrifs are a trip. Why was your neighbor checking up on you?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    These sherrifs are a trip. Why was your neighbor checking up on you?

I have no idea I broke no laws nor do I ever plan on it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Damage control View Post
    I have no idea I broke no laws nor do I ever plan on it.
    I think OC is a very bad idea. I know you did nothing wrong but now you have to go through everything Gnbroltz just did. Not breaking the law just cost a couple grand and there is no recoarse against the sherrif. I know you did nothing wrong but clearly some folks are upset by you OCing and it just cost you your permit.

I hope this works out well for you.

(Philadelphia County)

You need to appeal this one way or another, this is ridiculous. I'll see if I can get GunLawyer on here real quick to offer any quick advice. Hopefully Greg will check in too. While a denial is different than a revocation, chances are the process for appealing is similar.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Franklin County)

See if you can get further clarification from him (in writing) on why you were denied. Make a written request via Certified Mail, Return Receipt requested. Don't expect a reply.

The law requires a specific reason to be cited. Based on the conversation you related, he'll cite §6109 (e)(1)(i), which is the "character clause". Remember, "poor character" is not the standard. "Character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety" is the legal standard.

Try to obtain a copy of any police report regarding the incident that caused the concern.

Get your ducks in a row, and get the appeal filed quickly. I never did nail down the specific deadline during my appeal process. Someone here told me 20 days. My attorney believed to be 30 (based on general licensing statutes), but we were prepared in time to beat the 20 day limit just in case. You'll have time between filing and the actual hearing date to continue planning, so first and foremost, get the ball rolling!

My revocation was slightly different than your denial, but appears to be for the same point of law. If you feel that the actual language of my appeal filing would be of assistance to you, please PM me, and I'll see that you get your hands on a copy of it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks.
    It never did state why in the letter just that it was denied it also took 60 days to get the denial letter and it was not certified.

any info would help Ill pm you my email addy.

The soonest I can get down there is next Friday there hours don't jive with mine.
    Last edited by Damage control; January 17th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You did nothing wrong and have my full support. There are enough concerned people on this sight that we need to stand up show these sherrifs they need to follow the law of the land, not the law of thier own oppinion. If the last OC incident can teach us anything it's that we can pull together for what's right. If you're in the right and they're in the wrong, the support of this group can change the odds in your favor.

Who's up for some letter writing?

(Philadelphia County)

Damage, the question is ultimately going to come down to this: Are you willing to fight this in court? Can you dedicate the time and resources to doing so (we as a community may be able to help you a bit with the money aspect if necessary.)

I ask this because if you're going to fight it you need to be willing to really fight it. Losing because we only went half-way is not an option. We need to set a precedent that what you did (open carry, especially on your own property) is again, not a crime and not a reason to deny a permit. Losing would potentially have the opposite effect.

If you're willing we'll need to start pulling together all the facts and timeline of your application/denial and get that organized. Then we need to figure out exactly what steps you need to take legally.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    You did nothing wrong and have my full support. There are enough concerned people on this sight that we need to stand up show these sherrifs they need to follow the law of the land, not the law of thier own oppinion. If the last OC incident can teach us anything it's that we can pull together for what's right. If you're in the right and they're in the wrong, the support of this group can change the odds in your favor.

Thank you shooter! You are a great bunch of guys I learned all the laws I quoted to him from here and that in itself is priceless.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    Now's not the time for letter writing honestly. We can't have 200 different people writing 200 different letters that won't do anything.

We need one voice (Damage's) backed by the support of everyone else for it to move forward successfully.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast