Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Berretta 96D PSP model..

Could I get some run down on them?
    I put deposit on one, but hove to say that I know nothing about them.

Only thing I know is that its:
    .40S&W
    10+1
    SPS logo leser etched on Left side of frame(right front of slide release)
    INOX model

I can't find anything on 96D PSP being inox - all of them I find so far have been blued model..

Any thoughts?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Berretta 96D PSP model..

I have only seen them blued as well. What are you paying for it? I am not a fan of the double action only thing but it may be a decent collector gun.

(Centre County)

I'm getting it for mid $400. I don't think it was black gun that someone stripped it to be inox. Finish is too perfect for that.
    I thought about regular 92, as I'm not a big fan of .40S&W, but being PSP model, and even tho I'm not big fan of DAO, trigger do have nice smooth pull.
    It's almost feels like 96D centurian model, sinceslide is pretty heavy. But I know that centurian model have replaceble front sight on it(it have none replaceble, but tritium inserted front with regular dovetailed rear tritium sight).

I mean whatever, I'm still gonna get them, but if someone have stripped finish off to pass it as inox, I'd renagotiate the price...
    Last edited by Mity2; December 26th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

Apparently the PSP did use the Beretta 96D with NP3 (nickel-like) finish for a short time:

Equipment Purchases
    During 1999, the following items were purchased:
    • Bell Helicopter 407 Jet Ranger
    • Cessna Grand Caravan Fixed Wing Aircraft
    • Wiretapping Equipment for the Central Repository
    • Videoconferencing Equipment
    • Various Systems Furniture for the Field
    and Headquarters
    • Beretta Brigadier Pistol to replace the Beretta 96D
    NP3 Pistol

(Allegheny County)

I had one of the NP3 ones. The NP3 finish tends to be more durable than the factory Beretta Bruniton finish. These did start life as a standard Bruniton Beretta then were sent off to Robar for the NP3 coating process from what I've read/heard. The triggers on all the ones I've handled was very smooth. When it comes to .40 through a Beretta I do prefer the Brigadier slide over the regular 92/96 slide, since battering tends to be less on the Brigadier models vs. the regular slide. Even though the front night sight is fixed, you should be able to find someone to replace the tritium vial if it goes dead.

(York County)

I too did a quick search and couldn't find anything about the inox but it looks like someone else found something on it. I had an old SF MSG that used to talk about those brigadier slided Berettas as if they were produced by God himself. He said after a certain round count their M9's were notorious for cracked slides. Never heard anything about it outside of him though, and I own one.....
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Lebanon County)

I picked up one of these about 2 yrs ago when they first were hitting the streets as the state was selling them off. Honestly I paid alot less than $400 for the one I have. I've shot it maybe twice and the DAO in them is stupidly heavy but I understand the reasoning that it was done. For the sights if you send the slide to trijicon they offered a deal that they would drill and install a dot if the front fixed post for the beretta. I'm not sure but I would guess that they warranty the work and life of the tridium.

On a side note you can use them with the Ceiner .22lr kits and have a cheap plinking gun.

As Green Blood mentioned the slides are heavier around the locking block to handle the .40cal better. Early versions of the M9 would crack the locking block somewhere in the 3 to 5k round range. I've had to fix quite a few of them over the years. Beretta actually redesigned the part for the military atleast once that I am aware of.
    Last edited by wheeling365; December 27th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Allegheny County)

I had a standard 96FS frame give way right behind the first set of rails after around 4k of standard 180grn FMJ ammo. I never had problems with the Brigadier units though. I have found that running a heavier recoil spring in a standard 96 will increase the life of the weapon and decrease battering overall. I run my M9 and 92FS in the stock setup though and never had a problem for tens of thousands of rounds. Pretty much a case of a 9mm sidearm being upped to a .40 and sometimes it just can't handle the punishment without some modifications. Regarding the locking blocks, I believe I have 3 different generations in my parts kit, but there may be more versions out there too.

(Franklin County)

PSP did run the "silver" 96's first in 1993. They traded them out to the black finished models some years later. I am dickering on a black modeled one right now, and did some research on these myself. The one Im looking at had to be an officers model or something, I cant see any wear on it at all, and I mean at ALL. But, price is more than yours is all I will say. THe members got to buy them for like $250 my buddies tell me. Im never that lucky.

Dealers tell me the collectors value is not very good on these guns, but I say, how can a limited run of maybe 6000 guns not be collectable? Guess guys just dont want PSP on a gun? If I can get my guy to come down on his price some, Ill get one and stick it in the safe, might go up, might go down, but it is still a pistol that I dont see too often.

Oh yeah, and the mags are 11 round mags (at least on the later black models). Maybe the silvers are 10 rounders? I have never seen one of the silver ones to be honest.
    Last edited by PAfarmboy; December 28th, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: mag info

(Centre County)

Dealer told me its 10rds, based on rond count hole on mag.
    I did notice some say 10rds, and some say 11.

I'm hoping to pick it up later this week, or early next week, so I'll keep you guys updated.

As far as value or what not goes, Farmboy is right.
    How can limited run of maybe 6000 guns not be collectable? With PSP logo on side?
    I personaly think little "PSP" logo is cool as all hell, and fact its early NP3 gun only adds to value(IMO).

But then how often do you see peeps walking in to shop asking for "PSP" model? Many police trade in(even with dept. logo) out there aren't fetching up that much - may be slightly more then none-logo'd tradein's, but thats about it.
    But then if you think about it, US Military surplus 1911 weren't worth that much until this past 10~20 years or so. I think my gramp picked up his WWII 1911 with all the marking for $40 or so back in mid 70's...
    If it had "NYPD" or "LAPD" on it, may worth more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast