Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Want to join a club

I have been giving it thought, and with the money I spend for Clayton's, I could be at a club reaping much greater benefits. The problem is, which club? Hopefully everyone can point me in the right direction.

1 - Locale: I live in the 18914 and don't want to drive too far. 30-40 minutes MAX
    2 - Outdoor ranges: Currently I'm only a pistol shooter, but plan on getting a rifle and a shotgun at some point. Want to have the option for longer range stuff plus clays.
    3 - Price: I do not want to spend more then what I already do for my indoor trips. Would love to be around $100 but more is fine for the right place and the right people.
    4 - Competitions: Not currently competing, but would be nice to have the option. I know I can go to a club when they have a competition and sign up, but since I'm a n00b, I would like to have people that I know already to talk to.
    5 - Open Carry: I will be carrying my M9. If a club has a rule against carry, it's off the list.
    6 - Demographic: I know there are a lot of clubs where the membership are of retirement age. I'm OK with this, but there has to be a decent up and coming "youth" movement. I don't need to be lectured by my grandfather about how things were in his day and he is too stubborn to change.
    7 - Leadership: Need a club with excellent leadership and a vision for the future of the club and it's members. I know boards are staffed by volunteers, I am on a board myself, and time is valuable. But if a club is set in it's ways and doesn't want to grow up, it's not the place for me.

I think that's it for now. I am interested in everyone's take on these requirements and if there is a club that fills all of them.

Thank you.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Want to join a club

As an officer of a club in Bucks County, you're looking for a club in Bucks County right? You won't find a club that's like a commercial range. Clubs get run by the people who do work and vote. That's going to tend to be the retired types who are more part of shooting culture 1.0 than shooting culture 2.0. I don't think a club that meets your description exists in Bucks County. Certainly not one that I know of that permits open carry.

If it were up to me, our club would allow it, but it's not up to me, and ours doesn't. If you join a club, and you want to change something, it takes work to change it. You have to make a consensus for it, and be willing to get people on the Board, and support people on the Board, who agree with you. It's kind of like a microcosm of the real world, in that respect.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    I have been giving it thought, and with the money I spend for Clayton's, I could be at a club reaping much greater benefits. The problem is, which club? Hopefully everyone can point me in the right direction.

1 - Locale: I live in the 18914 and don't want to drive too far. 30-40 minutes MAX
    2 - Outdoor ranges: Currently I'm only a pistol shooter, but plan on getting a rifle and a shotgun at some point. Want to have the option for longer range stuff plus clays.
    3 - Price: I do not want to spend more then what I already do for my indoor trips. Would love to be around $100 but more is fine for the right place and the right people.
    4 - Competitions: Not currently competing, but would be nice to have the option. I know I can go to a club when they have a competition and sign up, but since I'm a n00b, I would like to have people that I know already to talk to.
    5 - Open Carry: I will be carrying my M9. If a club has a rule against carry, it's off the list.
    6 - Demographic: I know there are a lot of clubs where the membership are of retirement age. I'm OK with this, but there has to be a decent up and coming "youth" movement. I don't need to be lectured by my grandfather about how things were in his day and he is too stubborn to change.
    7 - Leadership: Need a club with excellent leadership and a vision for the future of the club and it's members. I know boards are staffed by volunteers, I am on a board myself, and time is valuable. But if a club is set in it's ways and doesn't want to grow up, it's not the place for me.

I think that's it for now. I am interested in everyone's take on these requirements and if there is a club that fills all of them.

Thank you.
    You already know the deal with the club I would recommend. There will be more information available on Thursday. After that has passed I'd be happy to show you around.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    You already know the deal with the club I would recommend. There will be more information available on Thursday. After that has passed I'd be happy to show you around.
    Langhorne Rod and Gun Club might be the closest thing to what you're looking for, all sarcasm from my previous post aside.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Langhorne Rod and Gun Club might be the closest thing to what you're looking for, all sarcasm from my previous post aside.
    I'm sorry but if it doesn't permit open carry it's not what either of us are looking for, and Langhorne Rod & Gun was already one my "to join" list up until about 15 seconds ago when you made your post.

(Bucks County)

That's not my club. My club doesn't allow open carry, doesn't allow you to put more than 5 rounds in your magazine, doesn't allow draw from holster practice, and doesn't have any competitions that are more practical shooting oriented.

Langhorne runs practical matches, doesn't have any mag restrictions I'm aware of, and I don't think restricts OC, at least at matches. I've only been there for matches. I don't know what their general range rules are. They might be the only club in Bucks County that comes close to your criteria.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    I do know, and I've kind of ruled it out. Strictly because of your post and this:
    Plus, I didn't like the fact that i was tasting cordite for 4 hours after I left. And I only shoot FMJ. Only 2 lanes for it means I might have to wait to shoot.

As an officer of a club in Bucks County, you're looking for a club in Bucks County right? You won't find a club that's like a commercial range. Clubs get run by the people who do work and vote. That's going to tend to be the retired types who are more part of shooting culture 1.0 than shooting culture 2.0. I don't think a club that meets your description exists in Bucks County. Certainly not one that I know of that permits open carry.
    Thanks for the info. Langhorne is a consideration. The OC is an issue. However, as I am VERY close to Montco, my requirements aren't strictly in Bucks.

EDIT: Also thought you were representing LR&G. Sorry for the assumption.
    Last edited by bigdawgbeav; September 21st, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

That's not my club. My club doesn't allow open carry, doesn't allow you to put more than 5 rounds in your magazine, doesn't allow draw from holster practice, and doesn't have any competitions that are more practical shooting oriented.

Langhorne runs practical matches, doesn't have any mag restrictions I'm aware of, and I don't think restricts OC, at least at matches. I've only been there for matches. I don't know what their general range rules are. They might be the only club in Bucks County that comes close to your criteria.
    I'm sorry I thought you were representing Langhorne Rod & Gun club for some reason.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    I do know, and I've kind of ruled it out. Strictly because of your post and this:

Plus, I didn't like the fact that i was tasting cordite for 4 hours after I left.

Thanks for the info. Langhorne is a consideration. The OC is an issue. However, as I am VERY close to Montco, my requirements aren't strictly in Bucks.
    I've only had an issue with the ventilation during matches. Besides that once a week there is really a good quality of air. Even Classic Pistol's ventilation would be backed up with as much shooting going on as they have during their matches. If you're still interested you could come by a night there are no matches.

The outdoor thing is a double edged sword and is why this club is a good secondary choice. Adverse weather really, really puts a hamper on outdoor range enjoyment. A purely outdoor range sounds great on paper, but may be less enjoyable in practice than one may expect.

50 feet is hardly "long range" for rifles but it's a respectable distance and definitely beats nothing at all on rainy days. Plus the range is perfect for handguns.

(Montgomery County)

Life is all about give and take...

The list of your "needs" is a good list but you have to ask yourself are they really needs...

I am also looking for a club to join. I renew at classic because I really like it there but I really want to get into skeet and trap. So I am looking for a club that offers that...but needs are simple. Safety is above all else. Great members. Good location and fair price.

If OC is not allowed why not cover it up while you are at the club. I dont OC but it is all about give and take....once you join and prove yourselve maybe you can influence change...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast