Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sig 229 and Glock 27, my thoughts so far

Hey all,

A few months ago I decided to purchase my first firearm. I have a fiance, and children and a home and it's simply time. I went to the gun store and knew that I wanted a .40 cal but that was all that I really knew for sure.

Thanks to this forum I did a lot of reading on peoples opinions and reviews and had a general idea that I may like the Sig 229. Well after looking at a good amount of pistols, and asking to hold a handful of them, it was a done deal, the sig felt perfect in my huge hands. There were a few other pistols that were nice but my pinky wouldnt fit on some of them and that was annoying. I know I could have added an extension to my magazines but you all know how that one pistol just feels perfect right. Well the sig was the one for me.

The price was around $850 new and it came with night sights which im not sure is or isnt common for this model. It also has a rail, but I dont think I am going to attach anything to it. It is a bit more expensive than comparable pistols in the same caliber but I figured if this firearm may possibly save my life one day, I dont mind paying the extra coin.

I took it to the range the same day, and man its sweet. I love it, im not sure how to explain it any other way, I just love shooting this firearm.

I carry it with a DeSantis {sp} inside the hip holster to try to conceal it. I have to say that I am a fairly stocky guy but even so the butt of the gun handle protrudes a bit off my hip. You really cant tell I am carrying , unless I bend over to pick something up then it just pushes my shirt straight out. The holster allows me to carry an extra magazine which is nice but it doesnt help with the concealment aspect.

When going to work or with a hooded sweatshirt on during the colder days there really is no issue. It is my pistol of choice to carry with me, hands down.

But about a week ago I decided that I really should invest in something a bit more compact for when I am going out with my fiance and I want to dress up a bit nicer and really simply dont want anyone to know I am carrying.

I did some reading of compact pistol reviews and decided to hit the gun shop and hold a few of them. I really liked the glock 27, it has some solid feedback, and with the extension piece for the end of the magazine, my pinky fits pretty solidly. Two weeks before I rented the glock26 and put 50 rounds through it and it felt pretty good. Not as nice as my sig but I chalked that up to me simply not being used to it.

So I bought the glock27 and realized it didnt have night sights on it. I am a firm believer in night sights and I am a bit spoiled since the sig had them so I went and had some put on. The Glock27 brand new was $535ish. The night sights plus installation cost me another $100.

I took the glock to the range last night and put 50 rounds through it. It felt pretty good. It seemed a bit snappier than the sig, maybe because of the smaller size. I am also getting used to it staying as a double action only, compared to the sig which is double action for the first round and then switches to a single action.

The safety trigger, not sure really what to call it, the little trigger on the main trigger, did irritate my fingertip slightly but again, i just chalk that up to not being used to it.

All in all I really like the size of the glock27 for cc and I enjoyed shooting it at the range. But I have to say, I LOVE my sig and it will always be my baby lol.

If anyone has any tips on the sig229 or glock27 as far as grip covers , best holsters, etc feel free to chime in. I am always open to opinions and insight.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Sig 229 and Glock 27, my thoughts so far

i have the same two pistol.

there are very many holsters for both, they are very popular weapons.
    try looking at Galco, Desantis and High Noon. there are many more brand, those are just a few. I like the Desantis Cozy Partner.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Allegheny County)

The hogue grips for the 229/226 will really lock the gun into your hand if you have not tried those. I love them, but they do snag a little if you are CC.
    Stay frosty....

Lots of mags, but at $40 a pop for P229 mags, it hurts.

(Venango County)

the 229 is a great gun as well is the glock. Here is my two problems with the 229...it's heavy and expensive.

One says heavy and expensive, another would say durable and quality. Not for nothing, I would take a Sig over a Glock any day, and I own both.

(Monroe County)

O own 6 Sigs including a 229 and 3 Glocks including a 26 (same size as the 27) .

You have 2 nice quality guns there, the 229 is a heavy Gun but it is reliable and accurate as they come.

For my 229 i carry it in a don Hume JIT , For my Glock i carry it in a DON HUME Jit also , it all depends on what style of Holsters you like , personally i hate holsters with a snap, so the JIT is perfect for me , light , fast and inexpensive , well made leather holster.

DON Hume is having a closeout sale on the JIT right nor for around $20.

My 229 will put most 165 grain ammo in a 3 inch circle at 25 yards , but it loves Winchester Rangers the best at about 2" at 25 yards .

In My Glock 26 i carry 125 grain Gold Dots, these are very accurate in my 26, for your 27 you will have to try a few and see what it likes.

And remember to be very safe around the little one , invest in a small pistol safe if you havent already done so.

(Northampton County)

From one spoiled Sig owner to another, congrats on the purchase. As others have recommended, the Hogue finger groove grips work very well. (particularly if you have skinnier fingers) If you have wider fingers you may find the grooves to be too narrow and not so comfortable. The crimson trace grips for the 229 are very nice as well.

(York County)

I have a g27 also. I found that the finger grooves didnt like my fingers so I used a couple pieces of grip tape to fill in the groves a bit and put a talon grip over them and ta-da now the grip is perfect. I did notice the grip issue before i bought it but it was the only sub compact .40 that I liked.

I also read about a recoil reduction system here http://www.gunblast.com/Glock26.htm
    So I thought I'd give it a shot. It is a bit expensive but makes the little g27 more enjoyable to shoot. It doesn't necessarily lessen the recoil but it takes the sharpness out of the recoil. With the stock spring I was ready to quit after 50 rounds or so with this I can comfortably shoot all day. I was only able to find it at shootersbox.com You might find it else where but am not sure. Nice people to deal with there.

Just thought I'd share my .02
    ymmv,

Sid

ETA
    I carry mine in a Desantis Cozy Partner.
    Last edited by sid; September 22nd, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

(Venango County)

I agree that the sig is reliable and quality but then again so is glock. I have had both and liked both. My G22 had over 20,000 rounds through it and the only fail to fire has been because of ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast