Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT99

(Westmoreland County)

Default Taurus PT99

What are the pro's and cons between the Beretta 92F and the Taurus PT99?

I will be in the market for either one of these within 2-3 weeks and would like to know the differences between the two. The Taurus seems to be a little cheaper then the Beretta but according to several articles, there is hardly any difference.
    I like the price of the Taurus because I see these go for $250 and up while the Beretta starts at $500 for a good one.

If any of you has a SS or Chrome Taurus PT99 or PT92 and is willing to part please PM me.
    Last edited by D10; September 19th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Taurus PT99

You've been around here for awhile, and have some crazy rep power, so I'm thinking you've got a pretty good idea already, as to the responses you'll get. But, IMO, you'd be better off with a used Beretta than a new or used Taurus. I'm not trashing Taurus, as I have a PT-940 that is a pleasure to shoot, and runs well. But, my experience with them (Taurus) has been mixed, and I think others might agree. The Beretta has a better chance (again, just my opinion) of running well "out of the box", and probably long into the future.

Though I know Tanner's is quite a distance from you, but they are on Gunbroker, and currently, they've got M9's at $499 new, the 92FS at (I believe) $529, a US made 92FS INOX at $549, and the Italian made INOX at (I think $599). There may be similar deals where you are. And, again, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of a used 92FS. Good luck with whatever you get!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Ding ding ding. ^^^^^^
    We have a winner.

Keep an eye open for police trade ins.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Dude, both are great pistols. You cannot go wrong on whichever one you choose. I have owned both and still own the PT, but it is stainless and it is beautiful. 9250 docummented rds and still running. It is not as bullseye accurate as it was at 1000 rds, but it will still punch 3 inch groups at 25 yds with WWB. It is showing some slight slide to frame wear, but some of that could be on me since I have shot it a ton when it needed to be lubed, and I did not lube it. My PT has seen three squibs and one of them blew the slide lock all to Hades and back. After borrowing a pair of needle nose pliers small enough to get down in there, it actually went back together and shot fine, that is, after I got all the soot out of it. A squib will make a freaking mess of your pistol.

To me, they feel the same, shoot the same, and damn near look the same. I like both of them. If you want to save a few $$$, go with the PT. If you like Ferrari over Corvette, go with the Beretta.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Both are great Guns, i do not own a Taurus 92 or 99 but my cousin does, i own 6 Berretas , i like em both.

Some who are accustomed to 1911's like the Taurus better because the safety is on the frame like a 1911 and in the same location like a 1911.

My cousin own his 92 polished stainless since 1992 and has never had a single problem with it.

Have fun with whatever one you get..

Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Some who are accustomed to 1911's like the Taurus better because the safety is on the frame like a 1911 and in the same location like a 1911.
    This is a good point.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    That is one of the reasons why I start leaning towards the Taurus more and more. I always like the safety on the 1911 and over the years I've gotten used to having the safety there.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Centre County)

The other advantage of the Taurus is the three-way safety. You can carry it cocked and locked, decocked with the safety off, or decocked with the safety on. I had a PT 92 that was dead-nuts reliable - I didn't have so much as a hiccup out of it.

Both pistols are on my want list, but given the choice, I'd likely go for the Beretta first (nicer fit and finish, and there's the "official U.S. military pistol" tie-in).

(Northampton County)

The PT92/99 has a pretty stout track record, and there are plenty of people that actually choose it over the Beretta. I recently bought a 92A1 over the PT99, but it had more to do with aftermarket options than functionality. (I also found a deal on a mint 92A1 that eliminated the price advantage of the Taurus) The slide mounted safety on the 92A1 does still annoy me, but I'll get over it. I've shot both guns and I think the trigger and finish are a little nicer on the Beretta, but the PT99 is a lot of bang for the buck. As far Taurus, I've owned a few of them and never had a bad experience.

My experience with Taurus is different 3 out 5 had to go back to the shop fixes. 2 were revolvers (the 85hl was a good snub nose I gave to my ex) and one was a PT101 40 S&W SS target sights that was actually more accurate then my Beretta 92sf, but had a FTF problem that we couldn't resolved so I traded it for a Beretta 96 DAO. Taurus has a life time warranty and Beretta does not. Out of the 5 Taurus I only have 1 that I kept a 24/7 in 40 cal (Taurus new pistols are impressive i really like PT-Beretta Clones,709,809,840,845 & new 3rd gen 24/7 series).

Ending in 20-30 yrs I have bought 7 Berettas, I still own. The Berettas have never had to go back to the shop, they are great guns.

I agree bang for bucks the new Taurus pistols are hot, but for long term reliability and peace of mind its hard beat Beretta.
    Last edited by Neko456; September 21st, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast