Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Ruger Mark III

Picked up a new Mark III from Bob a couple weeks ago i got her NIB $300.00 OTD! What a fun& cheap pistol to shoot !
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New Ruger Mark III

If there's any down-side to owning a Ruger MK, it's boredom. They're just too easy to shoot. Congrats. You've got a nice gun there!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Berks County)

Who's Bob? and where did you get it?

Not sure were he got it from??
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Westmoreland County)

Ruger Mark IIIs are indeed great handguns... until it's time to clean them.

The words that I wanted to say while reassembling it have not yet been invented in the English language. I wanted the Engineering team who designed it to suffer exquisite torment, to have their homes dismantled with sledgehammers while they watched. I wanted Bill Ruger to be on a street corner as a Squeegie Man, washing the windshields of cars of poor folks for food. By the time I scratched the finish trying to use a Vice Grip to reassemble it and had injured myself I considered pouring the parts into a box and shipping them UPS to Ruger with a message that they stick them where the Sun don't shine and the Moon doesn't glow.

Once you get the hang of assembly it's not bad.... but to expect users out of the gate to put this thing together is unreal. The Mark III desperately needs to be redesigned to be easy to break down, clean and reassemble

There is no cause for dangling teeny tiny little parts that require that you point the muzzle up this time, point it down that time.... I wondered if the Videos for the Mark III would contain the "Hokey Pokey". Almost but not quite.

Gene

(Westmoreland County)

I've taken apart a Broomhandle Mauser and reassembled it without a manual. Functioned perfectly. I've rebuilt several Carburetors, including the Rochester E4ME, one of those electronic carbs that is an absolute pain to rebuild.

I'm an Engineer by Profession.

The Ruger Mark III is "expert friendly". I love my Mark III but we definitely got off on the wrong foot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Ruger Mark IIIs are indeed great handguns... until it's time to clean them.

The words that I wanted to say while reassembling it have not yet been invented in the English language. I wanted the Engineering team who designed it to suffer exquisite torment, to have their homes dismantled with sledgehammers while they watched. I wanted Bill Ruger to be on a street corner as a Squeegie Man, washing the windshields of cars of poor folks for food. By the time I scratched the finish trying to use a Vice Grip to reassemble it and had injured myself I considered pouring the parts into a box and shipping them UPS to Ruger with a message that they stick them where the Sun don't shine and the Moon doesn't glow.

Once you get the hang of assembly it's not bad.... but to expect users out of the gate to put this thing together is unreal. The Mark III desperately needs to be redesigned to be easy to break down, clean and reassemble

There is no cause for dangling teeny tiny little parts that require that you point the muzzle up this time, point it down that time.... I wondered if the Videos for the Mark III would contain the "Hokey Pokey". Almost but not quite.

Gene
    ^^^^^^^^^^ AGREE !!

I have a Mark II .. I have taken it apart a few times to clean .. What a bugger to put back together .. But once you do it a few times .. It's really not that bad ..

I've only put about 200 rounds thru her so I have not tried to take it apart yet!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(York County)

I completely feel for the above posters and anyone new to the Ruger Mark III. Having a Browning BuckMark Target, this thing was a gigantic pain in the azz the first 3 times I reassembled it. The last time only took me like 5 minutes. That is finally because I kept watching this one youtube video over and over again until I got the last part down - where you have to "push" that little piece up in the whole way before the mainspring housing will simply slide into place. You have to "get it" and get it just right, or else! That is the worst part!

I love the fact that mine is all stainless steel. I mean, it should last forever. As for the Mark III's loaded chamber indicator, that is history on mine. I also put in a Volquartsen sear and a Clark target trigger. After a few hundred rounds, this thing is really becoming smooth. I clean my pistols after every 100 rounds, because I'm obsessive.

- The Delta Force
    PS: Here is some eye candy for all of ya!

(Berks County)

Sorry that my post was so vague. I'm very interested in purchasing a Mark3 with a 5.5in. bull barrel and fiber optic sites Just wondering where I could find a deal on a gun like that.