Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Recommendations for a compact .22 LR semi-auto pistol

I gotta say I like mine I have an Issc M22 Pistol. For plinking and compact it small but still full size enough it fits my big Paw. Heafty enough that it doesn't feel like its going to snap if you look at it wrong or drop it... I found Parts online for it easy...... Full easy to load and quick to load Mag. 10 rounds.. Has multiple safetys, glock style Trigger ( can be locked out so it just will not fire under any reason comes with the tool basic pickle fork style) Hammer block/decocking and Mag safety ( will not fire with out a mag even if a round is in the chamber). easy to take down to clean. ( have seen tests with 500+ rounds of ammo no cleaning and still cycles and shoots clean but slowly. I have yet to try this one) There are only two issues i have found with it 1st Hollowpoint rounds can give a FTF But i think that it may have been a lack of lube issue.(have to still test) and 2nd Due to popularity and a lawsuit from glock( settled with in the last 6 months) Additional mags are hard to come across. I have been told that this is about to change though. ISSC is now making them again. let me know if you want to try it.

(Delaware County)

I was able to get out and do a little shopping to day. I tried out the Phoenix H22, Walther P22, Bersa Thunder .22, Beretta 87 Cheetah, Sig Mosquito and even a GSG "1911" in .22LR. The GSG was too large for what I had in mind but it was the first time I've seen a 1911 style pistol in .22 so I had try it on for size. Felt like a decent quality gun and for $290 it's probably a deal. ( This ones too big ) The grip on the Phoenix was just a bit too small w/ the mag extension poking me right in the middle of my pinky. ( This one's too small ) The Walther felt kinda cheap to me so I put that one aside quickly. That left the Beretta, Bersa and Sig. (These are just right ) The Beretta is obviously a quality machine, but I can't really justify the $635.00 price tag with all the others coming in around $300.00. It wasn't TWICE as good. That left the Sig and the Bersa. I really like the size, weight and look of the Bersa but I've heard really good things about Sig and the grip was super comfortable. I'm going to sleep on it and may be check out one more store to see if anything else interests me.

I'd be very interested in anyone's opinions of the Sig and the Bersa as far as reliability and general satisfaction.

(Allegheny County)

Bersa is a good choice, gotta like a D/A with an exposed hammer! If you can take the size, the GSG 1911/22's really are sweet.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Recommendations for a compact .22 LR semi-auto pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Rik Bitter View Post
    I was able to get out and do a little shopping to day. I tried out the Phoenix H22, Walther P22, Bersa Thunder .22, Beretta 87 Cheetah, Sig Mosquito and even a GSG "1911" in .22LR. The GSG was too large for what I had in mind but it was the first time I've seen a 1911 style pistol in .22 so I had try it on for size. Felt like a decent quality gun and for $290 it's probably a deal. ( This ones too big ) The grip on the Phoenix was just a bit too small w/ the mag extension poking me right in the middle of my pinky. ( This one's too small ) The Walther felt kinda cheap to me so I put that one aside quickly. That left the Beretta, Bersa and Sig. (These are just right ) The Beretta is obviously a quality machine, but I can't really justify the $635.00 price tag with all the others coming in around $300.00. It wasn't TWICE as good. That left the Sig and the Bersa. I really like the size, weight and look of the Bersa but I've heard really good things about Sig and the grip was super comfortable. I'm going to sleep on it and may be check out one more store to see if anything else interests me.

I'd be very interested in anyone's opinions of the Sig and the Bersa as far as reliability and general satisfaction.
    Did you look at Beretta 21A????? Saw them at Tanners for $210 (NIB)!

They had about 14 in stock last week...if interested give them a call they are nice people!

The GSG is great if you really love 1911's! - The mk22 reminds me of a glock. The Mk22 rifle reminds me of the Scar 16.

They are great at replicating. The GSG is something you should try out.

You read good things about the SIg?
    I didn't consider one because of the bad reviews, size and weight.

Both the Sig and the Bersa like CCI mini mags not the cheap bulk stuff. xtra mags cost about $30 when you can find them. Good luck on what ever you choose.

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...ID2=2174&ID3=0

(Northampton County)

I don't have personal experience with either. I do however have a good friend who has the Sig. The Sig is a good looking pistol IMO, but after being out with him several times, I was not impressed with it. As the last poster said, it was very picky with the brand and type of ammo. He was shooting the CCI mini mag. I had my Buckmark with me and was blasting through the cheap federal brick ammo while my buddy was having lots of trouble with his.

If you are expecting to shoot "cheap" 22lr ammo through the Sig, I would reconsider based on what I saw. My buddy never brings his Mosquito out with him anymore. For what it's worth.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman42 View Post
    Did you look at Beretta 21A????? Saw them at Tanners for $210 (NIB)!

They had about 14 in stock last week...if interested give them a call they are nice people!
    21A's are nice, like the fact that you can have one in the chamber, thumb-safety right handy, and 1st shot is D/A.

But... no xtractor. Make sure you have a perfect chamber and hot ammo to insure the case blows out. That and the 7rd mag capacity.
    I stopped shooting my 21 for the HP22 and GSG 1911/22; the HP22 mag without the finger-rest extension is fine, and 10rds of cheap .22 T-bolts as opposed to Stingers in either gun is a plus.
    Last edited by nfafan; September 23rd, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    You read good things about the SIg?
    I didn't consider one because of the bad reviews, size and weight.

Both the Sig and the Bersa like CCI mini mags not the cheap bulk stuff. xtra mags cost about $30 when you can find them. Good luck on what ever you choose.

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...ID2=2174&ID3=0
    When I mentioned Sig's reputation I was refering to the company in general and not this particular model. I did some poking around on the inter-webs and ran across a lot of less than satified reviews on the Sig Mosquito. Probably some of the same one's you came across. Also, it's a good 1/4" thicker than the Bersa. It may not fit in the fishing vest as nicely. I'm going to do a bit more shopping in the morning. I want to check out the Beretta 21A that several people have mentioned.

My vote is the berreta, esp at that price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast