Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default I took the Hunter Safety Class with kids!

Being an over fifty female, i was a little worried what to expect taking the Hunters Safety Course this past weekend on my own! I hear its mostly 11/12 year old boys with their dads. ...Almost true but not quite. There were some young girls and a couple of older ladies like myself. (but young at heart)

It was enjoyable and informative and i would recommend it to anyone that has an interest in guns.

I do not plan on hunting (who knows though as i never planned on liking guns either!) but i took this class to educate myself further and figured i had nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I did learn and would even like to go to another location and sit in and i am sure i would learn even more from different stories shared. I passed easily so now i can buy a license and go hunting haha

Who knows !!! Stranger things have happened !!! hmmm now about that orange and camo stuff !

(Clinton County)

Default Re: I took the Hunter Safety Class with kids!

Congrats! It is a good course to take whether you plan to hunt or not. Some states will recognize it as training for a license to carry.

(Bucks County)

I "plan" on taking it too with my daughter. No intentions of hunting...but I would like the knowledge....and I'm sure daughter would enjoy it too.

Did your class include a live fire portion? PA doesn't require it...but not sure if some do it anyway.

Nearly all if not all states have reciprocity with PA regarding hunter safety, it is a good card to have, but, do not carry it around and ruin the card. You have to pay for a replacement or take the class again.

I had been hunting for over 20 years and went to CO to hunt big game, I had to produce my HS card to purchase a tag, same for South Dakota and Nebraska.

Because live fire is not required for the PA Hunter Ed class, the CMP will NOT honor it as proof of marksmanship for the purchase of rifles and ammo as they do for other states where live fire is required.

(Allegheny County)

I have already put the certificate in one of those plastic protectors. Not sure what CMP stands for but i did take and successfully passed the NRA Basic Pistol which may/may not qualify in other states...if I ever decide to hunt. I never say never though...

Bahh....get your rear end out in the woods and put something in the pot.
    It's rewarding on so many levels, at a minimum it's a pleasant day in the woods.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Ha ha i just may do that ! But first i need a hunting gun! For now I am considering a Ruger 10 22 for fun and training to use a long gun.

(Allegheny County)

To Mrjam2jab: There was no live fire- i would have loved it if it did though. I do recommend taking it, you will learn from it guaranteed. There were guns which they did not pass around (although the firing pins have long since been removed for safety). They used these to demonstrate various scenarios.

Now where it the next level lesson??????

(Montgomery County)

It was about 10 years ago when my Dad took my brothers and me to the Hunting Safety Training Course. Before that he had been hunting for about 10 years. I scored a 100 on the test and he got 2 wrong.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I have already put the certificate in one of those plastic protectors. Not sure what CMP stands for but i did take and successfully passed the NRA Basic Pistol which may/may not qualify in other states...if I ever decide to hunt. I never say never though...
    Civilian Marksmanship Program, created way back in 1903 when the government realized it was a good idea to have a population skilled with firearms in the event of war. Now just the opposite...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast