Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lehigh County)

Default New to this. Just need some ammo advise.

Hey guys, new to the forum and the pistol world. Have had shotguns and rifles just never handguns. But I have got a glock 19 and shot some Winchester fmj through it and worked like a gem. Was in walmart and saw this Federal 9mm 115g fmj rn. For like 10 bucks for 50. I'm not looking to put cheap crappy ammo through my new baby, lol, but if its fairly decent for that amount for range ammo I wouldnt mind spending that. Just wanted to know if it decent ammo, crappy ammo, or what. And/or suggestions for decent range ammo.

Thanks guys in advance.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New to this. Just need some ammo advise.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver71903 View Post
    Hey guys, new to the forum and the pistol world. Have had shotguns and rifles just never handguns. But I have got a glock 19 and shot some Winchester fmj through it and worked like a gem. Was in walmart and saw this Federal 9mm 115g fmj rn. For like 10 bucks for 50. I'm not looking to put cheap crappy ammo through my new baby, lol, but if its fairly decent for that amount for range ammo I wouldnt mind spending that. Just wanted to know if it decent ammo, crappy ammo, or what. And/or suggestions for decent range ammo.

Thanks guys in advance.

I've shot a lot of Federal 38 Special. I have had no problems with accuracy or reliability. We'll see how it reloads.

I've shot a LOT of Winchester White Box 380 ACP in my collection. No problems, no failures to feed.

About the only consistent problems I've had with ammo has been 22 LR from Winchester and Federal in my Ruger Mark III. For some odd reason it just doesn't work quite right on a consistent basis. My rifles seem to work well with them. I have not had the pistol fixed because I use the failures to fire to practice clearance drills.

I've also had 9mm Makarov Blazer rounds fail to feed in my P-64. I don't carry the P-64 so I don't pay it much mind. It's a fun range gun and teaches me how to deal with stout recoil. In contrast the Silver Bear rounds always work and are accurate.

I HAVE heard of some horror stories of Winchester 9mm White Box. Like they had brass peeling down the sides of the case. I suspect that Winchester would be very interested to know that and would work with you on it.

Gene

Just wanted to know if it decent ammo, crappy ammo, or what. And/or suggestions for decent range ammo.

Thanks guys in advance.
    There is nothing wrong with it except it is inconsistant. One shot will give you some muzzle flip and the next will give you a little less and not be as loud. For out to 15 yards, it is fine. Anything farther, and you'll want something better. I use WWB for 50 yard practice because I ain't Donald Trump and my ASYM ammo is for target trophies. Unless you know the difference, Federal will make you want to throw your pistol in a canal if you shoot with it at 25 yds, or more. Thousands and thousands of rounds downrange with WWB and I never have problems with it. My opinion is it is the best factory ammo (WWB) for the money, hands down, and better than some ammos costing more. It is only $4 more for 9mm than Fed.
    Last edited by harold63; September 19th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Washington County)

In my experience any brass cased FMJ is good.
    A Glock especially will run it all.
    Some will be less accurate or dirtier, but it will all shoot.

No commercial brass ammo is dangerous or malfunction prone that I know of.

Even russian steel cased ammo run fine most of the time, if you want to baby your gun maybe stay away from that.

Again, buy what cheapest, there is no bad, new production, brass cased ammo out there in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlerocker View Post
    Again, buy what cheapest, there is no bad, new production, brass cased ammo out there in my opinion
    If you are on a budget, and you want the smallest groups possible, then there are ammos that are better than others. WWB is very good for this very purpose.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Thanks guys in advance.
    That ammo should be fine for range work, but don't use it for self defense or zombies.

There are a ton of good choices in 9mm for that, and a few really, really good choices too.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    That ammo should be fine for range work, but don't use it for self defense or zombies.

There are a ton of good choices in 9mm for that, and a few really, really good choices too.
    Along this line of thought ... if you bought the pistol for self defense (SD) also, not just range shooting, then whatever ammo you decide to carry (for SD) make sure you shoot a 100 or so rounds of it, regardless the cost, just to be sure you can (pretty much) count on it to work every time should you need it to in a SD situation.

Any production 9mm ammo will shoot in a Glock. I've used military surplus, steel case garbage, WWB, Federal, reloads no problems with any of them. It's not like it's a 1911, it's a Glock.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

I’ve put a few thousand rounds of those through my Glock with no issue. Little dirty, but your Glock won’t care. About the only thing I ever buy from Walmart.

(Allegheny County)

Shoot whatever 9mm is available. I am unsure how you can even quantify one being better than the other aside from cleaning and that is not hard at all. Shoot the cheapest and be happy.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast