Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Not a hunter but is sort of related.

Awhile ago I stopped my car on the side of the road on 625 right past 724 because a woman had hit a deer and it needed to be put down a guy in a truck was waiting to take the deer after it died , I got out and asked if he had anything to put it down with and he said no so I drew my pistol and was ready to end the deer's pain when I heard the lady in the car scream "Nooooo!" so I stopped and she started bitching about why do I have a gun and who the hell was I so I proceeded back to my car and found a cop luckly at the A plus and asked him to hurry and finish the deer , later I found out I was well within my legal right to humanely put the deer down even with a semi auto. The guy in the truck was disgusted too and left. I regret not just doing it and bending to the will of some weird liberal bitch. She was also screaming how she had kids in the car , like letting them see the poor thing suffer was better then having it end quickly. I know 9mm is not a hunting round but one to the head should have done it. I feel I let myself down and the poor deer. I am not a hunter and have no intention of becoming one but respect peoples right to do so. I am an animal lover but would have ended the deer's suffering with a heavy heart and had a heavier heart by letting it suffer for the time it took to get the cop. I will never make the same mistake again and if some wacko says don't do it I'm going to anyway and give them my phone number and tell them to kiss my ass!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Not a hunter but is sort of related.

I don't have the citation right now, but it is definitely illegal to kill a deer that has been hit by a car, or has been injured in any other way, without explicit permission from the game commission (if you can get it, but they will most likely tell you to wait for a LEO or game officer). It is wrong-headed on their part, but be glad you didn't shoot it.

Edit: here is a link to another thread:http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/470...ured-deer.html
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; September 19th, 2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: edit to add link
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I don't have the citation right now, but it is definitely illegal to kill a deer that has been hit by a car, or has been injured in any other way, without explicit permission from the game commission (if you can get it, but they will most likely tell you to wait for a LEO or game officer). It is wrong-headed on their part, but be glad you didn't shoot it.
    That is what I thought also, I have been looking for a link to post but I suck at searching for these kinds of things.
    Hopefully someone with strong google-fu will show up soon.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    Awhile ago I stopped my car on the side of the road on 625 right past 724 because a woman had hit a deer and it needed to be put down a guy in a truck was waiting to take the deer after it died , I got out and asked if he had anything to put it down with and he said no so I drew my pistol and was ready to end the deer's pain when I heard the lady in the car scream "Nooooo!" so I stopped and she started bitching about why do I have a gun and who the hell was I so I proceeded back to my car and found a cop luckly at the A plus and asked him to hurry and finish the deer , later I found out I was well within my legal right to humanely put the deer down even with a semi auto. The guy in the truck was disgusted too and left. I regret not just doing it and bending to the will of some weird liberal bitch. She was also screaming how she had kids in the car , like letting them see the poor thing suffer was better then having it end quickly. I know 9mm is not a hunting round but one to the head should have done it. I feel I let myself down and the poor deer. I am not a hunter and have no intention of becoming one but respect peoples right to do so. I am an animal lover but would have ended the deer's suffering with a heavy heart and had a heavier heart by letting it suffer for the time it took to get the cop. I will never make the same mistake again and if some wacko says don't do it I'm going to anyway and give them my phone number and tell them to kiss my ass!
    Where did you find this? Everything I've ever heard says it's illegal.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Clinton County)

Title 34 section 2307 d Exceptions - This section shall not apply to:
    (1) Authorized individuals who euthanize critically injured game or wildlife, which shall be permitted when it is reasonable to believe the chance of survival of the injured game or wildlife is minimal or the injured game or wildlife pose a threat to human safety.

The key is authorized individuals. I do not have time to look but I believe that to be any Game and or Fish commission officers and PSP. I am not sure other LEO's are authorized.

(Lancaster County)

It is also my understanding the man in the truck waiting to take the deer carcass needed a special permit from the game commission to legally transport and harvest the animal.

(Clinton County)

Title 34 section 2307 F Defines authorized person as anyone who
    1 Has 18 Pa C.S. enforcement powers
    2 and 3 Currently employed as either a deputy fish or game conservation officer or a conservation officer.
    4 State park ranger or state forest ranger
    5 A veterinarian licensed to practice in the US.

I shortened and abbreviated but you get the point not just anyone can euthanize a game animal or wildlife.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post
    It is also my understanding the man in the truck waiting to take the deer carcass needed a special permit from the game commission to legally transport and harvest the animal.

If you pick up a road kill deer, you have 24 hours to call the PGC to obtain a permit number.

OP- it is NOT legal to put a deer "out of it's misery." From the PGC hunter/trapper digest- http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=968783&mode=2 (underlined part is important)

Roadkilled Deer/Possessing Wildlife:
    It is unlawful at any time to possess live wildlife, except foxes for which a permit has been issued, or animals, or parts of animals, killed on highways.

Pennsylvania residents may possess deer or turkeys killed by a motor vehicle for personal consumptiononly if they secure a permit number from the Game Commissionwithin 24 hours after taking the deer or turkey; call the appropriateregion office. It is not legal to kill “put out of its misery” any injuredwildlife; again, call the region office. It is unlawful to give the whole or edible part of a deer killed on a highway to another person. It is not lawful to keep, for example, antlers from roadkilled deer or the beard or spurs of a roadkilled turkey. Holders of a valid furtakers license may possess a furbearerkilled on a highway, except for bobcats, fishers or river otters. Personstaking possession of any furbearer killed on a highway during theclosed season for taking that furbearer shall within 24 hours contact anyGame Commission region office to make notification of said possession
    Last edited by smithwessn; September 19th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Where did you find this? Everything I've ever heard says it's illegal.
    Then some fucking moron cop told me the wrong thing or it's one of those laws that it's legal in the crimes code but would get my ass raped by the game com.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    Then some fucking moron cop told me the wrong thing or it's one of those laws that it's legal in the crimes code but would get my ass raped by the game com.
    You're forgetting the four important rules:

1. Don't talk about fight club.
    2. Don't talk to the police.
    3. Don't take legal advice from gun shops or the police.
    4. Don't talk about fight club.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast