Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default A most excellent holster maker

I'm posting this in Carry, simply because so many folks look in this forum for advice about quality carry leather.

Awhile back I posted a review of Kramer Leather's Sheepskin Clip. This is kind of a follow up, and a rave/pitch for a great company that really seeks to distinguish itself from the balance of top end holster makers out there.

I recently decided I wanted another Sheepskin Clip, but this time for a 5" 1911. So I called Kramer on 1/3/08, and ordered one. As usual, the folks were very polite and helpful on the phone, etc. They said that given that everyone there takes 2 weeks off for Christmas (I wish everyone did this), that they were a little backlogged because they still intake orders during that time, and that the holster should ship in about 4 weeks. I said fine, and promptly decided to forget about it until early Feb.

It was on my doorstep yesterday -- 1/16/08. So, basically, I ordered a made from-scratch custom holster from a company in Washington, and they processed the order, made the holster, and got it to me within 13 days of my phone call to them. The holster was, just like the other holsters I've ordered from Kramer, top notch quality, and perfectly executed.

Simply amazing. Why doesn't everyone do business like this? I'm thinking it's because Kramer is a "family" business.

I had a similar experience with Kirkpatrick Leather -- when I asked them if they had the blank for an oddball gun and holster combo, as nobody else seemed to be willing to help me out with it, the guy on the other end of the line said that if they didn't have it, they'd find one, buy one, or do the whole thing freehand from scratch. I laughed, thanked him, and asked who I was talking to so I could tell the boss/owner what a great help he'd been. He said, "Oh, you don't have to do that, but you can tell dad you talked to Mike." Family business again. Had the holster, perfect, as described, in 2 weeks.

I contrast that with recent experiences with other well known premium holster shops. They're saying that they have "6 month" waits to maintain quality, etc., etc. And they won't deviate from their regular line of stuff or they won't make the holsters for all guns. I asked one shop recently if they'd make one of their most well known holsters for a P7M8. They said, nope, not for any price, they only make holsters X & Y for the P7M8, so, basically, tough luck. This shop used to be family owned, but now it isn't.

I really think, from now on, Kramer and Kirkpatrick are getting all of my holster business. If you haven't checked them out, it's worth a moment to peruse their respective websites. I've yet to see a holster come out of either shop that isn't top quality.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: A most excellent holster maker

Or, you could buy the Del Fatti that's on eBay right now for the P7M8. Current bid is a mere $212.50 ...or "buy it now" for only $350. Oy.

Kramer makes great horsehide products. I always liked their canted belt scabbard in horsehide for larger guns.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Or, you could buy the Del Fatti that's on eBay right now for the P7M8. Current bid is a mere $212.50 ...or "buy it now" for only $350. Oy.

Kramer makes great horsehide products. I always liked their canted belt scabbard in horsehide for larger guns.
    Talk about reading my mind -- I was just thinking that I should have mentioned how happy I was with the service I got from Del Fatti awhile back, too. I bought one of their holsters from a reseller because I didn't want to wait 2 years. One of the snaps on the holster broke a few weeks after I got it, so I called them about repair. The lady on the phone was really helpful, and had Matt on the phone in a second. He told me to ship it to them, covered the costs, and had it fixed (he also replaced the other snap with a newer design snap), in less than a week or two. When I thanked him (and asked him to thank the lady on the phone who'd been helpful) he said, something like "Oh, yeah, my daughter's really polite. Thanks for the kind words." Family shop, go figure.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Talk about reading my mind -- I was just thinking that I should have mentioned how happy I was with the service I got from Del Fatti awhile back, too.
    I'd love a DF holster too, but none of the resellers has the one I'd want. The 2+ year wait is intimidating. My triglycerides may not let me live long enough to see product.

After seeing the recent "Sarah Connor Chronicles," I've concluded the only way to get a DF holster is to travel back in time a few decades, and place the order that way.

(Mercer County)

There are many great holster makers out there:
    Along with Kramer, Milt Sparks, Ken Null, Rosen, Rusty Sherrick are great just name a few.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Along with Kramer, Milt Sparks, Ken Null, Rosen, Rusty Sherrick are great just name a few.

oracle
    And Rusty Sherrick is a Pennsylvania guy. Quality work, I have some of his leatherwork.

Rick

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post

oracle
    Interestingly, you named a few of the folks that, while they make great holsters, I no longer do business with because of long wait times and lousy customer service.

I really, really like Rusty's work, by the way. His only problem is that he promises a holster in 3 months, and 9 months later you still don't have it. Great guy, though, and great work. He's one of those guys whose work is good enough that it's worth the wait.

(Lebanon County)

Wish I'd seen this yesterday. I posted an order with http://www.comp-tac.com, For their Minotaur MTAC Holster. Based on recommendations posted on another board.