Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Rifle Manufacturers-- 280 Ackley?

So yeah, I've been reading up pretty heavily on the 280 Ackley Improved, basically a 280 Remington with raised shoulders. Performance is said to be close to the 7mm Remington Magnum, with 1/3 less powder and a slimmer casing (aka more mag capacity).

Only problem is, the only manufacturer who chambers for this round is Nosler, and they're practically semi-custom (with prices to match!).

Does anyone else know of some other rifle makers who chamber for this round?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Rifle Manufacturers-- 280 Ackley?

I don't know of any other manufacturer for the guns.

But ammo is easy.. You just shoot standard 280 ammo in it the 280AI chamber. The brass will fireform to the AI chamber, then you use 280AI dies to make your own loads. ...or, you can find some 280AI brass and roll your own.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clarion County)

Have thought about getting http://ershawbarrels.com/ build me a rifle. Its been a few years but when I checked into it the price wasn't that out of line. Would it not also be possible to take a .280 Rem of your choice and have a good smith cut the chamber? Also the single shot TC encore has aftermarket barrels for this caliber. An example: http://www.bullberry.com/encore.html
    Last edited by cephas; September 20th, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: TC
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Have thought about getting http://ershawbarrels.com/ build me a rifle. Its been a few years but when I checked into it the price wasn't that out of line. Would it not also be possible to take a .280 Rem of your choice and have a good smith cut the chamber? Also the single shot TC encore has aftermarket barrels for this caliber. An example: http://www.bullberry.com/encore.html
    Only if the barrel can be turned back to provide the proper crush fit.

Ackley Improved chambers that headspace on the shoulder require a .003" to .004" crush fit depending on the cartridge. You have to turn the barrel back one turn, then rechamber.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clarion County)

Good info knight, thanks. After looking at what's involved with turning the barrel back a full turn, it'd be easier to just put on a new barrel.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Somerset County)

I kept thinking I had seen an ad for 280 AI and I finally found it on the back cover of Petersens Hunting.

Kimber is listing the 84L (Classic Select and Montana versions) as being chambered in 280 AI.

Grice's latest sale flyer has the 84L for about $1200 but doesn't list the 280 AI as one of the chamberings. So it might take some digging, but you CAN get one in a standard factory rifle.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

I think Cooper makes a 280ai but they will set you back some.

As posted above fire forming is easy. Just curious, but what has you set on the 280 AI? I gather you want it for hunting large game of various sizes? I know some of the improvements that improving the shoulders adds is negligible in some cases, i.e. 257AI. What percentage of case capacity are you gaining or are you more along the lines of doing this to have something a little different (which is perfectly ok, variety is the spice of life, right?). Also, you can find Bart lien barrel blanks and put it in a 700 action and whatever stock you want. If you look carefully you can have a pretty awesome rifle for allot less then you may think.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    As posted above fire forming is easy. Just curious, but what has you set on the 280 AI? I gather you want it for hunting large game of various sizes?
    Several reasons:

1) I like the selection of bullet weights and types that are available in the 7mm caliber. A light 7mm bullet and load can be used for antelope, with the heaviest being able to take down an elk. I consider 7mm to be a remarkably-versatile caliber.

2) Because its ballistic performance approaches that of 7mm Remington Magnum, with 30% less powder, and no need for a belted rim.

3) Because I will only have to buy one rifle (280 Ackley Improved) instead of 2 (280 Remington and 7mm Rem Mag).

Hence why I was giving 280 AI a serious look...

Your reasoning for wanting the rifle seem fair enough. All the traits you are desiring make sense, and while some are small gains or a preference, nothing wrong with it. I'm curious as to why you haven't considered the 7mm WSM. It should give you the performance you're looking for, and possibly even better. It'll still be basically just as efficient in terms of powder, ballistics identical to the 7mm Remington Magnum in most bullet weights, no belted rim, short action (shorter bolt throw, lighter weight, etc) and you will probably have quite a few more choices of rifles chambered in it. I was just curious if you had something against the WSM's.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 4th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast