Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default My $597 S&W M&P15

A month ago I was offered a stripped M&P15 lower for dealer cost in exchange for a small favor. $75 and a 4473 later I had me a project.

Long story short, I found a used complete S&W M&P15 upper with carry handle, bolt, and bolt carrier from one of the AR forums for $400 shipped, and I got a lower parts kit, buffer tube and Magpul CTR stock for a little over $120. All totaled, for $597 this is the finished product:

(the red figure-8 on the PG is flash reflection)

It digests brass and steel cased ammo without a hiccup. Thus far I've put only about 200 rds downrange, but accuracy is right there. It hits where I point it. The markings on the used upper match those of the other two factory-built S&W M&P15s that I previously bought. The markings on the hammer and trigger from the parts kit also match those in the two factory M&P15s.

The only thing I had to mod was the bolt carrier release spring was too stiff and and empty mag would not hold the carrier open. I had a few springs in the miscellaneous parts and switched one out and the next five mags fired all held open, as well as a half-dozen empty mags I tried at random several times, using the cocking handle.

GTG.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Default Re: My $597 S&W M&P15

Nicely done!

(Monroe County)

Cool. Looks like a little searching and some patience payed off.

(Beaver County)

OMG why didnt you buy a Colt. You know the chart says that's the only good AR made. Hahahaha.

Nice budget build my man. May you shoot straight and error free.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; October 10th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Nice work, building is some times the way to go! The M&P line is great. I have two of the M&P 15 and they run great.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Elk County)

I did a budget build a few years ago. My goal was an M16A1 style on a DPMS receiver. Only catch was, I had to raise all the cash for everything but the receiver by selling non-gun stuff in the classifieds. Back in the day Ohio Ordnance Works was selling USGI Colt A1 uppers for $250 It came in under $500 back then.

Nice build. And it comes in almost $500 cheaper than my DD/PSA/MagPul build.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Westmoreland County)

Noah, Exactly what markings are on the upper that could point to it being a S&W, Asking because I just got a S&W used and was wondering if the upper was or was not what it came from the factory with.

Tim

(Allegheny County)

If I had just pieced that all together for <$600 I'd be grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Good work Noah.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Noah, Exactly what markings are on the upper that could point to it being a S&W, Asking because I just got a S&W used and was wondering if the upper was or was not what it came from the factory with.

Tim

Tim:

AFAIK, there are no S&W-specific markings. All I'm saying is that the markings on the barrel of this build and those of my other two M&P15s were made with the same rollmarking die. Individual features of any given character are identical. Same for the mold marks on the FSB and the upper receiver itself.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast