Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default What would be the perfect 9mm fullsize for a 15 and 16 year old?

I am thinking of purchasing my two oldest boys each a 9mm handgun to take to range with me. They are both very well educated with handgun safety and usage...both have shot hundreds of rounds out of my .40 cals. Should I consider used? Safety or no safety i.e. Glocks? etc. I would appreciate any advice from the people I trust most! Do not want to spend a fortune!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: What would be the perfect 9mm fullsize for a 15 and 16 year old?

At age 13 (he'll soon turn 15), my son wanted a full-size steel handgun in 9mm. A friend was kind enough to let him try a few that he owned. After shooting a S&W 39-2, my son fell in love, and we ended up acquiring one for him on GunBroker for ~$300.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Beaver County)

I'd second a full steel gun. I'm a huge S&W Gen 3 fan so I'd buy one of them. Full steel guns help absorb alot of recoil and would minimize shooting fatigue at the range. It would keep you in the 350 dollar range and are great reliable guns. I own a bunch of different guns including Glocks and nothing for the range for me is better than an all steel gun. First priority though is FIT. If they dont like they way it feels in their hands they won't like to shoot it. After the excitement is over of just shooting fit and feel become very important to enjoyment.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Butler County)

This is purely my opinion, but I woul keep it to something simple, like the Glock, or XD. They are going to be easy to use, and easy to maintan. I would avoid a manual saftey because there is just no sense in using one with the possibility of them becoming reliant on it. Other than that, just do the same as anyone else.. find something they like.

(Allegheny County)

I'd ask them what they like/dislike about your 40 and go from there. I've only bought one used gun I wouldn't do it again. I didn't have any problems I just figure I can get a brand new one for just a few bucks more plus the warranty.

As far as the safety/no safety I say no safety. That's a personal choice. My Daughters have been raised to avoid having safety's when they make their choice, they actually have more respect for the guns I own as a result.

I will be buying my 17 year old her first handgun later this year in anticipation of her 18th birthday. I cant wait to see what she chooses. I already have a suspicion we'll see...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Erie County)

Last year, I bought my 16 yo son and 18 yo daughter their first handguns. After letting them try as many different guns as I could get my hands on, I let them choose. It's really the best way, even for a teenager. Btw, son chose a G17, daughter chose an M&P 9c. A year later, my daughter now wants a Kimber Aegis Pro and my son could give a crap about handguns, he wants his own AR.

If they've already gotten their hands wet so to speak, ask them what they might like.
    I see the thoughts behind a steel full size, at this point I'd be curious what .40 you have and if they handled it okay. If you have a polymer .40 and they did okay with it then they'd certainly be okay with a polymer 9mm.
    The manual of arms on a polymer (think Glock or XD) is generally more straight forward than say something with a manual safety or decocker, but it's your call on what level of safeties you wish to be built into the gun that you get for them.

(Bucks County)

I say Glock or XD, i prefer no external safety and like others mentioned they could use that as a crutch and get reliant on it and "negligent" and possibly overlook the basics of keep the finger off the trigger...Not saying your boys are idiots but these things happen. Also your boys are not 10-12 years old I think they will be able to manage a polymer frame 9mm hehe..If you were looking to get a .45 id have to agree with the steel frame issue

Where as if you get a gun with no external safety it might put something in their head and train that extra cautiousness into their heads young..

Glock and XD's are both very nice and easy to mantain and fairly cheap used (which shouldn't be worried about buying either of these guns used)

My first handgun was a Glock and very happy I went that route, I learned the basics, fundamentals, on an easy, accurate, safe handgun...

(Blair County)

The type of action is probably the biggest consideraton IMO. A Glock or XD will have the Double Action Only trigger...which is usually considered easier to shoot because of the consistant trigger pull. A Single Action/ Double Action feels a little different...heavy trigger pull on the first shot and light trigger pull for the remaining shots.

At least for me...trigger pull is the most important element of a handgun.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Allegheny County)

I second the full-size steel gun, to keep recoil down and keep accuracy confidence high. My choice (if it fits them) would be the Berretta 92/Taurus Pt92.

IMHO it would be good to teach them proper handling and safety with a gun that has a safety. Understanding the mechanics behind a DA/SA handgun would also be beneficial to them, and learning DA shooting will help if they ever want to do any revolver shooting.

Having learned on a handgun with a safety (Berretta 92) and a longer DA pull, I am doubly careful when handling my Glock.

Disclaimer: This advice by no means indicates a hatred of dislike of the Glock family of handguns, so flame off, fanboys!
    Stay frosty....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast