Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: What would be the perfect 9mm fullsize for a 15 and 16 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Striker fired is not the same as the type of trigger mechanism. All it means is that the pistol doesn't have a hammer.
    Let me guess you are another non-beliver , a hammerless revolver is not striker fired??? I belive in striker fired you belive anything without a hammer is the anti christ , unless HK makes it Tell me what gun is a striker fired or there is none in your world???

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    So there is only DA SA or DA/SA , stiker fired is just a myth? Or do you not classify striker fired as it's own class , because that would make the universe colapse on itself or are you the one who writes the buyer's guides and refuse to acknowlage striker fired as it's own federaly protected class of awesomness Striker fired guns are guns too
    Just what the ATF classifies as the trigger action, independent of wether it has a striker or hammer. Hammerless revolvers actually do have a hammer, it's just internal, similar to the 1903 & 1908 Colt Hammerless pistols.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The XD is considered single action because the striker is fully cocked and the trigger only releases the striker. The Glock striker is only partially cocked, pulling the trigger cocks it completely...that's why it classified as a DA. The M&P is mostly cocked but there is some striker travel so it's still considered DA.
    I did not know that. I thought it was like the Glock, etc. Neat.
    Stay frosty....

(Allegheny County)

Let me guess you are another non-beliver , a hammerless revolver is not striker fired??? I belive in striker fired you belive anything without a hammer is the anti christ , unless HK makes it Tell me what gun is a striker fired or there is none in your world???
    Sigh. Your post makes me sad.
    Stay frosty....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    Sigh. Your post makes me sad.
    I guess I'm behind the times , striker fired must have been some fad. Picked up a gun mag right after I posted and this styer m1-9a or something which I liked and looked at the stats and was waiting for striker fired but DAO with a 5lb trigger pull. What no one calls them striker fired anymore??? The HK p30 LEM trigger , what is going on??? Have I been lying to myself thinking I owned such a thing? Have I gone insane , did anyone ever call them striker fired , is there a striker fired pistol of any kind and what makes it different from a DA?

(Allegheny County)

I guess I'm behind the times , striker fired must have been some fad. Picked up a gun mag right after I posted and this styer m1-9a or something which I liked and looked at the stats and was waiting for striker fired but DAO with a 5lb trigger pull. What no one calls them striker fired anymore??? The HK p30 LEM trigger , what is going on??? Have I been lying to myself thinking I owned such a thing? Have I gone insane , did anyone ever call them striker fired , is there a striker fired pistol of any kind and what makes it different from a DA?
    Taurus 24/7 are striker fired and use a reverse DA/SA for second strike.
    Kahr are striker fired and are DAO.
    Sig 250 is striker fired and is DAO.
    Kimber solo is striker fired and is SA.
    Walther P99 is striker fired and is either DA/SA (older), pseudo DA/SA (anti-stress), or Glock style (quick action).

So you see there are many variations, almost as many as HK has models and variants
    Stay frosty....

(Berks County)

Taurus 24/7 are striker fired and use a reverse DA/SA for second strike.
    Kahr are striker fired and are DAO.
    Sig 250 is striker fired and is DAO.
    Kimber solo is striker fired and is SA.
    Walther P99 is striker fired and is either DA/SA (older), pseudo DA/SA (anti-stress), or Glock style (quick action).

So you see there are many variations, almost as many as HK has models and variants
    So striker fired is not it's own class , and why? Why do you keep bring up the P99 , I hate that gun more then any other. I was one of the early adopters on that garbage. " I want the new james bond gun" I was such a tool , at the range chambered ready to go and click , fucking stupid safety destriker or whatever the hell it was and I didn't keep it around long enough to find out or read the instructions for the third time. Like an asshole I bought the P22 and threw it across the room , my GF was pissed. Had trouble with reassemably of the little bastard and it took two days to find the guide rod. I thinking about the P380 any luck with that one?

(Centre County)

Grade-C HK P7 Niedersachsen Polizei trade-in:
    -cheapest P7 available
    -compact frame, but full-size barrel
    -safe
    -small grip
    -light recoil
    -accurate
    -sweet trigger
    Last edited by RandomTask; September 19th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by taurus.38 View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing my two oldest boys each a 9mm handgun to take to range with me. They are both very well educated with handgun safety and usage...both have shot hundreds of rounds out of my .40 cals. Should I consider used? Safety or no safety i.e. Glocks? etc. I would appreciate any advice from the people I trust most! Do not want to spend a fortune!
    Well now, we certainly have heard a lot of other persons' preferences, haven't we?

Maybe the question should have been: "How can I help my new shooters choose a gun that they like?"

I'd answer that question like this:" Get all your buddies to come to a range day and bring each and every 9mm pistol they have. Let the new shooters try em all, as many times as it takes. Maybe some guys will share more than simply keyboard advice."

You might be surprised what those new shooters find appealing, when they have the whole bill of fare spread out for their consideration.

Barring a big range-day, make a couple of them, and see if there are folks who would let your kiddies shoot their toys.

PM me, I have four or five they might like to try, if you can stand a range day in Franklin County. Now if there are some others ready to let their prized 9's be fondled and fired by your young-uns, they would be welcome, too.

(I just peeked - you're in Butler County. That is a long hike, but the offer is good, regardless.)

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I second the full-size steel gun, to keep recoil down and keep accuracy confidence high. My choice (if it fits them) would be the Berretta 92/Taurus Pt92.
    This is a good choice. Both are super good, overall 9mm's. My son's first pistol was a PT 92 some years ago and we still have it. It has over 9000 rds on it, and it still shoots well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast