Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What would be the perfect 9mm fullsize for a 15 and 16 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Let them pick what they like. XD, Glock, Beretta, M&P ect. I think safeties are over rated unless that's what they feel comfortable with. Gun safety has nothing to do with a safety on the gun. Also a polymer gun doesn't have much more felt recoil than a steel frame either it's just different. My son has been shooting polymer frame 9mm's since he was around 10 yrs old and never had a problem. He's 16 now and the gun he finally picked to shoot IDPA was a .45 1911. By letting him pick what he wanted made him more interested in shooting and made it special. I reload so cost of ammo isn't much more for either caliber. If they can handle the recoil of a 9mm just steer them in the direction of a reliable manufacturer in your price range that they are interested in. I would also show them the difference in triggers, DA/SA vs DAO and SA handguns. Let them try each one and see the difference. I would also stick with a full size like you originally posted since they are way easier to shoot accurately. Good luck.
    Yep. They will be more motivated if they get a say in the choice. They will also learn a lot looking over all the "features". How big are they? 16 year olds vary quite a bit in size at that age. Are either of them a lefty? I am and it impacts which models I can shoot well.

You can get 3rd Gen S&W autos for a song nowadays, and they're great guns that are also very user friendly.

There are a lot of nice options out there though.

(Northampton County)

The PO7 duty may be a little big for there hands,but it is a fine pistol. I would second the CZ 75 approach excellent full size pistol and you can get 2 used from Robertson's Trading for about $650.00.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(York County)

I'll also chime in in favor of a CZ-75B. Heavy-duty build quality, classic Browning-derived design, excellent reliability, used ones can be picked-up cheap, and there are plenty of replacement barrels out there.

My 75 SP-01 (a beefier, service version with an integrated rail) is a dream to shoot!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by F16vipers View Post
    The type of action is probably the biggest consideraton IMO. A Glock or XD will have the Double Action Only trigger...which is usually considered easier to shoot because of the consistant trigger pull. A Single Action/ Double Action feels a little different...heavy trigger pull on the first shot and light trigger pull for the remaining shots.

At least for me...trigger pull is the most important element of a handgun.
    The XD has a single action trigger. I say get a P22 or similar .22 so that they can afford to shoot it. Meaning of course that YOU can afford for them to shoot it.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    The XD has a single action trigger. I say get a P22 or similar .22 so that they can afford to shoot it. Meaning of course that YOU can afford for them to shoot it.
    The XD trigger is not a single action trigger, although it is not really a double action trigger either. It is considered a "pre-set" trigger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger...#Double-action

A single action trigger merely releases a fully pre-cocked hammer/striker, ala 1911/45 Colt, while the "pre-set" trigger finishes the (half done) cocking process, and then releases the striker/hammer.
    Stay frosty....

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    The XD trigger is not a single action trigger, although it is not really a double action trigger either. It is considered a "pre-set" trigger:

A single action trigger merely releases a fully pre-cocked hammer/striker, ala 1911/45 Colt, while the "pre-set" trigger finishes the (half done) cocking process, and then releases the striker/hammer.
    It's still a hell of a lot closer in practical operation to a single action than a double action, as is the case with the Glock as well.

We're much better off sticking with glock's own terminology for their trigger, because in practical terms, it's nothing like a traditional DAO design.
    Last edited by Valorius; September 19th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post

The XD is considered single action because the striker is fully cocked and the trigger only releases the striker. The Glock striker is only partially cocked, pulling the trigger cocks it completely...that's why it classified as a DA. The M&P is mostly cocked but there is some striker travel so it's still considered DA.
    Last edited by kpw; September 19th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The XD is considered single action because the striker is fully cocked and the trigger only releases the striker. The Glock striker is only partially cocked, pulling the trigger cocks it completely...that's why it classified as a DA. The M&P is mostly cocked but there is some striker travel so it's still considered DA.
    So there is only DA SA or DA/SA , stiker fired is just a myth? Or do you not classify striker fired as it's own class , because that would make the universe colapse on itself or are you the one who writes the buyer's guides and refuse to acknowlage striker fired as it's own federaly protected class of awesomness Striker fired guns are guns too

Striker fired is not the same as the type of trigger mechanism. All it means is that the pistol doesn't have a hammer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast