Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default AR 15 handguard and carry handle rails

It's time to accessorize my EBR, but I need a rail system. I want to add a folding vertical handguard grip, possibly a bipod, and a greenbeam (I'm thinking on the carry handle, which is detachable) to a Bushmaster gas piston upper with a 16" barrel. Are there any particular brands/models that stand out in the crowd as good, bad, ugly? It's a target gun with no intended use for home defense (unless someone comes to take it), so versatility, ability to take a long day at the range and, of course, looks, are features I'm looking for. Also, is a good scope redundant with the greembeam, or do they compliment each other. While I'm asking, I was also going to get an Ergo or Hogue trigger hand grip, any opinions about these or other grips?

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice, no matter how biased or unpopular they may be.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR 15 handguard and carry handle rails

As to a railed handguard, I'm not sure what's available for piston systems since they are typically somewhat larger in diameter.

If the application is a target gun, I don't think a VFG is practical.

Mounting a laser on the carry handle is not optimal. In fact, as a target rifle you should consider an optic so the carry handle would be moot. Optics and a visible laser do compliment each other. The laser should be mounted on the railed HG.

Be very careful about aftermarket grips. The angle of the OEM grip is designed to place the trigger finger perpendicular to the face of the trigger. Some aftermarket grips will force you to contort your wrist.

The best aftermarket grips are the Magpul MIAD and Tango Down.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Magpul MIAD
    +1 on the magpul MIAD...i love mine.

it comes with several front and backstraps so you can customize it to your hand.

(Philadelphia County)

I have the tangodown grip and am happy with it, not sure if the MAID was out i built mine, but it's a got a good rep, as does everything from that company.

Keep 2 spare AA's in the TD grip for the EOtech and 3 spare CR123's in the TD VFG for the Surefire. Then again, you did say this was for target practice.

(Berks County)

Here is what I think.

If the rifle itself is an A3, there are a few things you can do.

You can keep the standard a3 carry handle
    You can chop it down and add an optic (a 1/3 cowitness is the best idea here, the absolute co witness is terrible, I tried it, and it crowds too much)
    Or you can get a flip BUIS and add an optic.

Check out stuff made by Yankee Hill.
    In terms of the grips Tango Down or a standard verticl grip. My Knights always did well. Don't go with those rails that you add to the standard handguards, they screw with the barrel harmonics as it is like you are pulling down on the barrel.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Warren County)

I bought the BMAS 4 rail front:
    http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_pa...ards_index.asp

And I got my front grip (sorry, non folding) from TAPCO and I love it. Real comfortable for me. it's got 2 removable pieces for pressure switches for your light and/or laser, and a battery storage compartment.

Here's a pic. Mines the second one in.

The first one with the 4 rail and folding handle belongs to ApexAlpha. I believe those are both BMAS accessories, but I'm not 100% sure on it. PM him and ask.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Chester County)

As to a railed handguard, I'm not sure what's available for piston systems since they are typically somewhat larger in diameter.

If the application is a target gun, I don't think a VFG is practical.

The laser should be mounted on the railed HG.

Some aftermarket grips will force you to contort your wrist.

The best aftermarket grips are the Magpul MIAD and Tango Down. - TonyF
    I had no idea about the diameter difference. You definitely saved me time, money and frustration.

I'll do some bench shooting for sighting it, but most of my shooting will be standing (my prone shooting days are long gone). I was thinking about a quick disconnect VFG so I can practice with and without it to see what feels right, but in my experience, what comes apart easily also falls apart easily. I don't know if that applies here.

I thought the laser would be better on the HG also, but I saw an ad with it on the carry handle and thought I was wrong.

it's got 2 removable pieces for pressure switches for your light and/or laser, and a battery storage compartment. - sinful
    I like it!

Don't go with those rails that you add to the standard handguards, they screw with the barrel harmonics. - K_19
    Are you suggesting I go with a "free floating" rail system, or does what you said have nothing to do with that. I just started down this path so I've read up on a little, but most of it hasn't sunk in yet.

+1 on the magpul MIAD...i love mine. - LRT
    Thanks for the second opinion, I'll add this to the list when I'm looking for a place that I can get a hands on feel for the different grips.

To all:

Thanks for some great info. You undoubtedly saved me from making some costly mistakes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    It's time to accessorize my EBR, but I need a rail system. I want to add a folding vertical handguard grip, possibly a bipod, and a greenbeam (I'm thinking on the carry handle, which is detachable) to a Bushmaster gas piston upper with a 16" barrel. Are there any particular brands/models that stand out in the crowd as good, bad, ugly? It's a target gun with no intended use for home defense (unless someone comes to take it), so versatility, ability to take a long day at the range and, of course, looks, are features I'm looking for. Also, is a good scope redundant with the greembeam, or do they compliment each other. While I'm asking, I was also going to get an Ergo or Hogue trigger hand grip, any opinions about these or other grips?

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice, no matter how biased or unpopular they may be.
    I would advise against a folding vertical grip - they just seem like a novelty. I would aslo advise against a bipod unless you are assembling a 16" recce or 18" SPR (and I'm pretty sure you're not). I would also advise against a green laser (or even a red laser) on a carbine. Instead I would look into a parallax-fee red dot optic like the Aimpoint.

You said
    It's a target gun with no intended use for home defense (unless someone comes to take it), so versatility, ability to take a long day at the range and, of course, looks, are features I'm looking for.
    You already are a little behind the power curve using a piston and a chrome-lined barrel, but so be it. I would simply get free floating tubular HG's (something like from PRI for example) and perhaps a Trijicon Accupoint optic in a LaRue tactical or ADM mount.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Chester County)

I would advise against a folding vertical grip - they just seem like a novelty. I would aslo advise against a bipod unless you are assembling a 16" recce or 18" SPR (and I'm pretty sure you're not). I would also advise against a green laser (or even a red laser) on a carbine. Instead I would look into a parallax-fee red dot optic like the Aimpoint - Thekater
    Yeah, I need to settle down a little. I got EBR fever bad, but you guys are helping clear my foggy brain. I'm rethinking the folding grip because as a noob, it seems like the fewer moving parts I have, the better. Same for the bipod, best to learn to shoot well with one appendage before mixing and matching. However, the green laser is awesome, but maybe that's because of my shooting environment. I shoot in a heavily wooded area, and the shadows play nasty game on my eyes as the target gets lighter and darker when the tree tops sway, even on the sunniest of days. Right now I have the laser on a binocular tripod and my son stands next to me and centers the green dot on the bullseye. I just can't miss my mark when we do this with my 30-06 with a 3x9 scope on it, but it will save a lot of set up time when I mount it. I like the idea of the forementioned VG with a place for the pressure switch and spare battery. I'm sure there are a lot of alternative options people like, but I already own the greenbeam, it wasn't cheap, and I like it.

(Berks County)

Four railed hand guards come from a variety of manufacturers. I haven't decided which one I'm going to get but if your rifle is built for precision i would get a free float. If its like mine 16" carbine and something i shoot for fun (or if i need a SHTF gun), I'm not really gonna worry too much about the contact with the barrel. (After all my colt sling mount actually mounts to the barrel instead of the Front site base.)

I have a Eotech 552 mounted on my 16" and it works like a charm. I prefer the holographic style to the tube mounted. I find its much easier to use with both eyes open.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin