Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: state lines

(Beaver County)

Default state lines

I always wondered what happens if you unknowingly cross a state line by say 200 yards. I mean its not like there's a fence or something if your in The middle of The woods

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: state lines

Quote Originally Posted by XDguy View Post
    I always wondered what happens if you unknowingly cross a state line by say 200 yards. I mean its not like there's a fence or something if your in The middle of The woods
    You violate the law if what youre doing is illegal. If what youre doing is legal then nothing.

(Monroe County)

I don't follow?

do you mean if you cross a state line when you are hunting? in which case you would be hunting in another state illegally... ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law

if you are recovering an animal shot in your state I think you would still be fine as you tag it where you shot it.

if you are hunting in one state and shoot a deer in another you are illegal
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Beaver County)

I know ignorance is no excuse, I mean say your hunting in a new area and wonder across the line. i know your supposed to know where you are and all that, but a friend of mine asked cause he was in the woods and got turned around and ended up coming out on a road and he was like 200-300 yards across the line. which he did not knowingly cross. So, i was just asking because i was not sure if there was like a buffer zone like the police have of like a mile, and I know it wouldn't be that extreme of a situation but just curious if there was any at all.

(Montgomery County)

I know ignorance is no excuse, I mean say your hunting in a new area and wonder across the line. i know your supposed to know where you are and all that, but a friend of mine asked cause he was in the woods and got turned around and ended up coming out on a road and he was like 200-300 yards across the line. which he did not knowingly cross. So, i was just asking because i was not sure if there was like a buffer zone like the police have of like a mile, and I know it wouldn't be that extreme of a situation but just curious if there was any at all.
    Nope. You're either in Pa or you're not.

Heard this from a judge in different courts many, many times...not towards me, but here it is..."Ignorance is not a defense, Mr _________ or Ms. ________". So it is your fault you don't know where you are.
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

(Northampton County)

ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law

Could we write to the Fed. Gov't and all the states and ask them to to mail us a copy of all the laws that pertain to us.

(Indiana County)

And that's why they invented hand-held GPS units!

(Wayne County)

Ask the 2 hikers just released from Iran jail what happens when you cross a ine in the sand. You are suppose to KNOW where you are and they sell maps. If your hunting on one persons property and cross over onto the next persons property its still trespassing, no excuse.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDrini-NJ View Post
    Heard this from a judge in different courts many, many times...not towards me, but here it is..."Ignorance is not a defense, . . .
    i always thought that this is an interesting legal statement considering the concept of mens rea.

Mens rea is Latin for "guilty mind".[1] In criminal law, it is viewed as one of the necessary elements of a crime. The standard common law test of criminal liability is usually expressed in the Latin phrase, actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea, which means "the act does not make a person guilty unless the mind be also guilty". Thus, in jurisdictions with due process, there must be an actus reus accompanied by some level of mens rea to constitute the crime with which the defendant is charged (see the technical requirement of concurrence).
    with this in mind how can you be found guilty of hunting in another state when you had no way of knowing that you were in another state?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast