Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default What is the frame size of a H&R The American Double Action most similar to?

These guns are from about 1900, but I am wondering if there is a modern revolver with a nearly identical frame style and thickness.

And related: Is there a chart anywhere with the dimensions and profiles of the different styles of revolver frames? Like within S&W they have all the frame styles J,K,L, etc. But is there a way to tell similarities between the different manufacturers?

I am trying to fit a new grip on an old gun.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What is the frame size of a H&R The American Double Action most similar to?

The closest in size will be the J-frame round butt. ...but it will be nothing like the American Double Action. And then there are a few different J grips.

You will be doing a lot of fitting and cutting to make a set of J grips fit a H&R ADA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What is the frame size of a H&R The American Double Action most similar to?

Do not quote me on this, but I think the Victor grips might work for you. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...30&catid=11687

Hopefully .32_Magnum will chime in.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11687
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks again knight. It has those terrible looking plastic grips, like in the link, but I'm looking for a rubber one that will allow one more finger to grip. The Hogue grips with the exposed backstrap are cool looking (Bantam?), but I don't think the recess in the cut-out of the backstrap is in the same location as a J frame, like you said. And the way they snap together I would think they would not work. But there were some like the pachmayr grips, which had a metal insert that attached to the bottom of the frame and pulled the grip up tight to the frame. That looked like it might work better.