Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Transfer from deceased MD resident to PA resident

My friend's brother (both friend and his brother MD residents) passed away and left behind a few firearms. One of them was a pistol.

My friend took posession of the firearms and wants to sell the pistol to a PA resident.

How do we proceed? Because the firearm belonged to my friend's brother, no transfers needed to be conducted as I understand it. Does that mean my friend can drive the firearm to a PA FFL and transfer it just like that?

I conducted a search and did not find the information I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Transfer from deceased MD resident to PA resident

Well, I think you need to separate the two things. Person died, will executor transferred firearm to brother in will. They are his now.

Regular transfer rules apply. Firearm needs to be transferred to an FFL in PA. He can ship it to a PA FFL through a MD FFL or if he wanted to DRIVE it himself to a PA FFL....
    Not, sure. I can tell you that a PA resident doesn't need a LTCF to drive to an FFL if the firearm is unloaded, but this is someone coming from MD...

Someone will correct me if needed.

(Jefferson County)

So long as the transfer from estate to the heir was legal, all the present owner will have to do is deliver(physically or ship it) it to a FFL in PA to complete the transfer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Well, I think you need to separate the two things. Person died, will executor transferred firearm to brother in will. They are his now.

Regular transfer rules apply. Firearm needs to be transferred to an FFL in PA. He can ship it to a PA FFL through a MD FFL or if he wanted to DRIVE it himself to a PA FFL....
    Not, sure. I can tell you that a PA resident doesn't need a LTCF to drive to an FFL if the firearm is unloaded, but this is someone coming from MD...

Someone will correct me if needed.
    Thank you for the quick reply, sir!

One thing I'm not sure of is if the firearms were 'officially' or 'properly' transferred to my friend or not. I will have to ask him about that.

I do know that it is legal to drive an unloaded, cased and ammo-separated firearm from MD into PA for a range trip, gunsmithing, or sale. The same aforementioned friend drove a revolver to a FFL in PA for a sale. As far as I know he broke no laws.

The issue for me is who technically 'owns' the firearm right now. I guess I'll have to ask my friend exactly how he obtained them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebr4d View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply, sir!

One thing I'm not sure of is if the firearms were 'officially' or 'properly' transferred to my friend or not. I will have to ask him about that.

I do know that it is legal to drive an unloaded, cased and ammo-separated firearm from MD into PA for a range trip, gunsmithing, or sale. The same aforementioned friend drove a revolver to a FFL in PA for a sale. As far as I know he broke no laws.

The issue for me is who technically 'owns' the firearm right now. I guess I'll have to ask my friend exactly how he obtained them.

It doesn't matter. Firearms are not transferred from. They are only transferred to.

Besides, your friends possession is 100% legal, there is no need for paperwork that proves such.

Try calling ahead to Devin or PM JayBeez, both are FFLs in southern Yotk County. JayBeez has a shop in Fawn Grove.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Franklin County)

As long as the gun doesnt come up as stolen and your friend is legally able to own it, as are you, then the transfer should go through fine.
    Ive transfered guns that were willed to me while I was a resident of MD. I didnt need any proof of ownership or proof that they were included in an estate or anything. I just showed up at the FFL with them and an ID and the FFL transfered them to the buyer.
    I guess what Im saying is, if you believe the gun was legally obtained and there is no evidence to the contrary, then all that needs to be done is a standard transfer from one person to another.