Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suppressor

(Allegheny County)

Question suppressor

can you guys help me settle an argument. My buddy said anybody can buy a suppressor in any gun shop, never having wanted one I don't know the rules, but I imagined there are several hoops you must have to jump through to get one. Anybody know.

Default Re: suppressor

its like buying a handgun, as long as you can pass the criminal check yada yada, you can own one.
    on the other hand, not all gun shops deal with title 2 weapons. there are finger prints involved, signature from your sheriff or chief leo and a 200.00 tax stamp. also about a 3-4 month wait for the paperwork. or you can open a LLC or if you own a company that is incorporated you can purchase it through that without fingerprints or any law enforcement signatures.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    its like buying a handgun, as long as you can pass the criminal check yada yada, you can own one.
    on the other hand, not all gun shops deal with title 2 weapons. there are finger prints involved, signature from your sheriff or chief leo and a 200.00 tax stamp. also about a 3-4 month wait for the paperwork. or you can open a LLC or if you own a company that is incorporated you can purchase it through that without fingerprints or any law enforcement signatures.
    +1 exactly what he said -

(Blair County)

Not just anybody, but most people who are able to buy a pistol or get a carry permit should be able to get one.(i know its a license, dont flame me)You need to pay for it, then get the paper work signed by your local head LEO then the paperwork and 200$ get sent to the ATF. You wait while its approved, then when approved the gun store will call you and tell you to come pick it up. Where you live and your cheif LEO willingness to sign seems to be the biggest problem. Ive heard here in Blair county you cant get them signed but I havent tried so its just heresay.

Bogey nailed it. You can't walk out with it same day, but "anyone" (who passes the required background checks, pays for the tax stamp, etc) can buy a can. Not every shop sells cans.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Not just anybody, but most people who are able to buy a pistol or get a carry permit should be able to get one.(i know its a license, dont flame me)You need to pay for it, then get the paper work signed by your local head LEO then the paperwork and 200$ get sent to the ATF. You wait while its approved, then when approved the gun store will call you and tell you to come pick it up. Where you live and your cheif LEO willingness to sign seems to be the biggest problem. Ive heard here in Blair county you cant get them signed but I havent tried so its just heresay.
    Somehow I bet someone still will.

(Washington County)

Not in this country, legally, anymore.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    can you guys help me settle an argument. My buddy said anybody can buy a suppressor in any gun shop, never having wanted one I don't know the rules, but I imagined there are several hoops you must have to jump through to get one. Anybody know.
    See the Sticky here - > READ FIRST - Process to acquire/make NFA items in Pennsylvania by JayBell
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Not in this country, legally, anymore.

Huh??????^^^ What does that mean?

(Bucks County)

I think he means you can't walk into a store and buy a suppressor and take it home same day like a gun.

As said, you buy the suppressor, you fill out paperwork, submit to BATFE along with a check, wait 90 days, go pick up suppressor.

Recently, you have to do the phone check to pick up your suppressor. A couple years ago, once your BATFE paperwork came in, your dealer could just give you the suppressor. Now, you have to do the phone check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast