Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Looking for some advice

Well, let me start off by saying that, on top of the flash mob violence in Philly this past summer, the story of the young couple getting robbed at gunpoint while walking down the street in what should have been a relatively safe area of Philly this past Wednesday night, where the thug decided that they didn’t have enough cash on them, so he took the woman (a young school teacher apparently) into a side alley and raped her at gunpoint while forcing the boyfriend to watch.....finally forced my hand.

I recently went online, printed out the paperwork for a LTCF (Delaware County) filled it out and will soon be heading down to media to turn it in.

My question concerns what kind of pistol I should use for CC. I currently own a full-size H&K USP .40 that I want to trade in for something I can use for home defense, as well as CC. At the range a few weeks ago (French Creek) I rented a Sig 226 9mm that I liked a LOT, but I'm wondering if I could get some advice on what other guns could be used well for an IWB CC weapon. I had originally wanted to stick with .40, but after shooting 9mm I found it a bit easier to control and a bit more accurate (though this could be because I was a bit rusty having not been to the range in a while), and I'm like something along the lines of a Sig 226 or 229, but something that I'll definitely be able to CC with relative ease (minimal printing). One problem I might run in to is that I'm a bit of a bigger guy (6'0 235 lbs, 38 in. waist/pant size) and I'm not sure - even after reading through this forum and researching the subject - what exactly might be my best option.

I definitely dont want to carry a revolver (just not comfortable with the limited capacity and reload time), and I dont really want to carry anything to small (i.e. Ruger LCP or any other kind of "pocket pistol"). I'd like to stick with something compact, but still more towards mid-sized as possible, and would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have regarding weapons, holsters, and even suggestions for clothing/types of clothing to wear (especially from anyone out there who is roughly my size) while cc'ing.

It's just gotten to the point where I simply dont really feel safe going in to any part of Philly these days, and if I'm going to be visiting the city with my girlfriend (also a school teacher....so you should be able to imagine how the story of the robbery/rape hit a little close to home...), I feel like I definitely need to have the capability to defend myself and my loved ones if need be.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

- NSD

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for some advice

i have a feeling you're about to get inundated with suggestions. I have a sig p250 and I think it's too big to CCW, especially IWB. I personally carry a Ruger LC9, and I know you didn't want something too small. I did some research and talked to some people about the size, round count, and caliber and found the smaller to be better. I like it because it's very concealable, however i traded that off for a smaller magazine capacity(7+1).

I guess I look at it, whoever gets closest is going to get it first, if you are worried about flash mobs, after the first couple of shots, I highly doubt you're going to have people still running towards you. However, it's most important that you find something that makes you comfortable.

As for holstser, I have blackhawk holster:
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ins...ter,947,34.htm
    It's small comfortable, light weight, and affordable. I got mine for $8 plus shipping.

(Lehigh County)

I really enjoy the .40 cal. How bout trying a Sub-compact Glock 27 or a Springfield XD 40? They are both very reselient and comfortable for carry or protection, IMO. I've shot both and tried them in my IWB holster before. I didn't get to walk around too much with them but I liked it for the small time I had either of them. I carry a Glock 23 and I'm of very comparable size to you. I feel like it is a bit too bulky though, I'm also in the market for a new CC so I'll keep a close eye on your thread! Good luck!

(Lehigh County)

Also, I suggest a LTCF for your girlfriend too, if you can talk her into it. Never know when she's going to be alone somewhere and need it. Plus applying together can be a bonding experience! And then go shooting together!

I IWB CC either a Ruger SR9 9mm or a Taurus PT 24/7 OSS/DS .45. Both are sizable guns, the Taurus is the bigger of the two. I'm 6'1" and 215lbs. I have no problem CCing either of these two weapons, and I do this in NY, where even the slightest exposure can get you in trouble. Finally, I often do so with just a t-shirt and jeans.

So if you wanna carry around a big pistol, it's definitely possible. It's not as easy as a small pistol, but it's very much possible and not difficult.

(Philadelphia County)

I love my spring field xd(m) .40 3.8 compact came with a compact mag 12rnd and a full size mag 16 rnd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

^^^ picture above is the full size barrel i just wanted to show the accessories that come with the weapon

(Tioga County)

Not having your concerns as I mostly open carry. I carry big guns 45ACP in fact. either my 1911 or my XD. I would suggest you try as many pistols as possible. It's really a matter of personal fit. What fits you may not fit the guy next to you. I don't fit well with Glocks. I suggest you find one that gives you a natural point. Try this. Grip the pistol of the moment in a two handed grip at the low ready ( arms and gun pointing down at 45 degrees. Raise it to eye level and sight on target. then lower it again. repeat 6 times. them close your eyes and bring it back up. once you think your on target open your eyes. How is your sight alignment? Sight alignment should be good. if it ain't try another gun. You need to "fondle test" a good number of firearms. word of warning. I would not go for a compromise gun between you and your GF. If she want one get her her own. Yes, getting her own LTCF is a good idea even if she doesn't carry. It might save some legal difficulties down the road.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Northumberland County)

My GF has an LCP, it's just too small for my hands to be proficient enough to carry unless I need to really CC. I've had a bunch of different CC options ranging from a full sized usp, 92 berettas, glock 22 , ruger LCR, etc.. I've always gone back to my g26 using a 10round mag or with the +2 extention to get a better grip. As it is on the think side as my waist is 30-32 I have found it to be the best for me and you may not be comfortable with it.

Try looking at kahrs as they seem to make thinner models than resemble glocks. But I am a glock fanboy :P. Good luck, I Hope you find something that fits the bill.

(Monroe County)

I carry a KT .380 as an always gun. I know you ruled it out but you may want to reconsider it as a second gun because it can really go with you when nothing else can.

My other gun is a Glock26. It allows me to use the standard magazine for a very concealable package with 10+1 rounds. A simple magazine change to a G19 magazine gives me 15+1 for when I can conceal it or when it's on the nightstand. I know Springfield XD line also has this option if you prefer that.

I think a 226 may have a compact model which may suit you better if the above do not. Happy shopping.

Edit to add: I agree with trying to get your significant other to get a LTCF and to practice, as much as we want to be it is not always possible for us to be their for them. Their ability to defend themselves is very important.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast