Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Best price on an M&P 9 Full Size?

Well after 7 months of waiting and things happening I finally worked out my fiances to the point where I can afford my first pistol, I made a thread like this 6 months ago when I thought I could afford an M&P but things fell through. I just wanted to see if things changed since I asked my questions in that thread. Anyway, I am looking for an M&P 9 Full Sized and I am trying to figure out the best place I can buy it at with the lowest price. So my first question is with current deals would I be better served ordering from an online retailer and paying the FFL fee or do the local gun stores (In my area) have similar deals? I learned last week that Gander Mountain wants close to $550 for an M&P 9 so I feel like I will have to order online even though I rather buy in store.

Based on my travels and what I learned in my old thread the places I should check out are:

jetguns.com (They have the M&P 9 for $439 before transfer)

Wallenpaupack Sport Shop

Northeast Firearms (http://www.northeastfirearms.net/index.htm)

Pickerel Inn on Rt 402

I never bought from these places and I never used jetguns.com or ever visited Wallenpaupack Sports Shop so I don't know if they're worth giving my business. I was hoping you guys have used one of these places and could tell me, also if you could recommend other firearm shops within 30-40 miles of me I would be grateful. Tomorrow I am going to start giving these places a call and see what they can do for me, if I find a decent price I will buy the pistol tomorrow. Right now I am on armsdealer.net looking for additional options. Thanks for your time.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Best price on an M&P 9 Full Size?

So I found the following places on armsdealer.net, they're a reasonable distance from my home and if you guys have experiences with these places I would like to hear about them.

-Hemlock Gun Shop
    733 Purdytown Tpke
    Lakeville PA 18438-4019

-2nd Amendment Gun Sales Inc
    Lake Ariel, Pa (Do they have a physical address?)

-Whites Crossing Sports Shop (They sell ammo, what about firearms?)
    298 Canaan St
    Carbondale PA 18407-1458
    http://www.whitescrossing.com/index.jsp?parentId=1&id=1

-Six Guns (A bit far)
    390 N Main St
    Archbald PA 18403-1820

-K C Guns & Repairs (A bit far)
    130 2nd St.
    Childs PA 18407

-R J Schwenk Machine Shop (No Physical address and far)
    PO Box 146
    Elmhurst PA 18416-0000

-Carbondale Guns (A bit too far)
    1420 Scranton Carbondale Hwy
    Archbald PA 18403-0000

-Gun Toters Supply (A bit too far)
    300 Betty St
    Eynon PA 18403-1250

-Gold N Guns (If this is a pawn shop I have no interest)
    601 W Harford St
    Milford PA 18337-1232

-CPA Rifles Inc
    1012 Emery Rd
    Dingmans Ferry PA

(Pike County)

I am heading out in a few minutes to check out one of the local shops and ask a few questions, comments or suggestions would still be welcomed at this point as I will be coming home afterwards to make a few phone calls.

(Washington County)

In my experience gun shops will have much higher prices. (Factor in Tax and a charge for PICS if there is one)

I would order from Jet guns and find a place that will do a transfer for $20-$30.
    Jet should be no tax and free shipping

Im still kicking myself for trying to support my LGS and paying $100 more that I should have for my M&P9.
    (The main reason is the service sucked and they acted like they didnt want to sell a gun)

(Berks County)

I've never dealt with Jet but $439 looks pretty good to me. The last time I was in my local shop (The Handgunner in Topton) I think they were priced around $479.

With a few phone calls to find a shop with a low transfer rate, you should be able to get yourself an M&P 9 Full Size for under $500, out the door. Good luck. I have one and have been very happy with it.

(Pike County)

Thanks guys, I checked out the Pickerel Inn and they didn't really have many choices. I also asked about the FFL fee and they wanted $25. I will probably end up checking out Northeast Firearms then Wallenpaupack Sport Shop if they cannot get within the ballpark of that figure I will just pay the transfer fee and get it from Jet.

(York County)

Quick gut check on why you want the pistol? If for defense, OK. But if it's just for range use, consider a Ruger or Browning .22LR pistol. Ammunition is an repeating cost that you have to factor into your decision. With, say, a 9mm, you can have 15 minutes of fun for twenty bucks. With a .22, for twenty bucks, you'll run out of things to shoot before you run out of ammo.

I ordered a S&W 642 from Jet Guns, via Gunbroker, for a great price ($300, free shipping). Service was quick and the gun was perfect.

(Pike County)

Update, I haven't bought my pistol yet since I am not too thrilled about the prices I have encountered. I went online to jetguns.com and they're sold out of the M&P 9. In fact all the online retailers that are selling the M&P 9 for under $500 are sold out, so I have to ask what gives? I gave a call to Northeast Firearms and Wallenpaupack Sport Shop and they will sell me the M&P 9 for $479 cash. I am going to do a little digging but I might just say the hell with it and buy it from one of them. I look at it this way, the Pickerel Inn wants $25 for FFL and the other two places I just mentioned wanted $30 for FFL so in the end with tax if I find an online retailer that can beat the $479 fee (Unlikely at this point) my savings are only going to be around $20-$25.

My last question is can I save money by buying my pistol down South and getting it FFL'ed to a local dealer? I am going on a family vacation next month and I will be in the Charleston, Hiltion Head and Savanna region. Maybe you guys had some experiences with firearm dealers in this area and can tell me if I can a great deal down in the South Carolina/Georgia region?

Quote Originally Posted by mslatter View Post
    Quick gut check on why you want the pistol? If for defense, OK. But if it's just for range use, consider a Ruger or Browning .22LR pistol. Ammunition is an repeating cost that you have to factor into your decision. With, say, a 9mm, you can have 15 minutes of fun for twenty bucks. With a .22, for twenty bucks, you'll run out of things to shoot before you run out of ammo.
    Well I want it for target shooting and HD/SHTF, eventually I really want to get a .22LR pistol so I can practice without killing myself on ammo but right now I rather get something that can be used in a defensive role. The thing I hate about .22LR pistols are the price, some of them are nearly as much as the M&P or even more in some cases. Plus I have been shooting a .22LR rifle for nearly 3 years now (Currently my only firearm) and I want something that's a little more interesting/challenging to shoot.

When I get my .22LR pistol it's also probably going to be a S&W .22LR, they have adjustable sights and retail in the low $200 range. That's what a good .22LR pistol should cost IMO. When it comes to target shooting with my M&P 9 I am going to buy a few 50 round boxes of Russian steel cased ammo, I have seen 9mm steel ammo going for as little as $6 per 50 round box which is great. So if my pistol can feed that stuff reliably I am going to start buying Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear, etc in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    I ordered a S&W 642 from Jet Guns, via Gunbroker, for a great price ($300, free shipping). Service was quick and the gun was perfect.
    I don't understand what's up with Jet, them and most of the other websites that sell my pistol are sold out.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 17th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.

(Washington County)

$480 isnt too bad.

And all M&P's are hard to find right now.
    S&W got a big overseas contract for M&P's and they are just now starting to catch up domestically. ( The overseas contract is certainly true, and the catching up part i heard from a S&W authorized dealer so take that for what its worth).

But I would buy the one for $480 or hold out a month or 2 and hopefully they will be back around

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast