Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default ATI (American Tactical Imports) FX-45 Titan SS

I was at Tanner's on Monday, when the gentleman that owned this sold it outright. I very nearly picked it up then, but didn't. Fortunately (I think), it was still there yesterday, so I grabbed it. Having not shot it yet (perhaps today or tomorrow), the only "con" I see is the recoil spring/guide rod design, and the way in which it seats against the barrel lug. Because there's a rather large, round-head screw at the barrel end of the spring assembly, it's a bit difficult to remove/insert when field stripping. Other than that, it seems like a nice piece. Similar to a Colt Defender (almost a clone, in fact). I searched here and saw no threads associated with ownership of one. Anyone have one? Any "gotchas" I should be aware of?

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ATI (American Tactical Imports) FX-45 Titan SS

Supposedly the "gotcha" is that suspect guide rod assembly. Mainly the screw backing out and the parts being of inferior quality and deforming over time. However it's been said the Colt part is a drop in. I think it's like $30 or something.

I think that was the only major point of contention people had with them when I was doing research.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Supposedly the "gotcha" is that suspect guide rod assembly. Mainly the screw backing out and the parts being of inferior quality and deforming over time. However it's been said the Colt part is a drop in. I think it's like $30 or something.

I think that was the only major point of contention people had with them when I was doing research.
    Thanks! Yes, I checked the screw, and it's snug (though a drop of Loctite might be in order). The drop-in assy via Colt (or even other suppliers) is out of stock everywhere, unfortunately. I may just see if I can replace the screw with a flatter/lower profile screw-head, as that seems to be the main issue. Thanks again!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Had it out at the range, and this gun is nice! Despite the short barrel, it's very easy for me to shoot accurately, and I had no issues of any kind firing 150 rounds of PMC Bronze through the ACT mag, and a Wilson Combat mag. It does however, occasionally pelt me in the face/head with brass, and I'm not sure what to do about that (off to Google). Otherwise though, I'd say this would be a real CCW candidate, and it's fun to shoot.

(Cumberland County)

Slick.

It didn't cost as much as a Colt Defender either I'd imagine. I have always wanted one though.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Slick.

It didn't cost as much as a Colt Defender either I'd imagine. I have always wanted one though.
    No, it sure didn't. I ordered a Colt Defender ejector, and I'll see how things go with that. Either way, whatever tuning it takes will probably be worth it. Or, if I can't resolve it, I'll just shove my glasses up high on my nose, and wear a cap.

(Berks County)

What kind of sights is it wearing?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    What kind of sights is it wearing?
    Novak style.

(Lackawanna County)

so what did it cost you? And I have noticed with many....many...1911's regardless of manufacturer that they tend to send brass back in your face....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Had it out at the range, and this gun is nice! Despite the short barrel, it's very easy for me to shoot accurately, and I had no issues of any kind firing 150 rounds of PMC Bronze through the ACT mag, and a Wilson Combat mag. It does however, occasionally pelt me in the face/head with brass, and I'm not sure what to do about that (off to Google). Otherwise though, I'd say this would be a real CCW candidate, and it's fun to shoot.
    HA!, figures. I don't have too much trouble shooting the little 1911's. (Ended up picking up the Kimber UC II instead the old lady HAD to have.) But she's not a fan. Says the short sight radius sucks and it too hits her with brass.

I said we should have gotten the Titan to see if she'd really be in love with a little 1911. She had to have the Kimber. *sigh*

For the record though it doesn't hit me with brass at all. So I blame her grip. So if you're getting tagged with brass, check your grip. Firm it up a level or two and fire again and see if you get hit. If you aren't then... well, you get the idea.

The little guns have a decent amount of 'whomp' to'em. So if you aren't maintaining a firm grip, ejection can become more varied than if you do. At least from what I have seen thus far. You may very well be able to tune it mechanically and stop the problem no matter how it gets shot. But idk how to do that.

Keep us updated on your progress with the gun. I like to rub salt in my own wounds... and I knew I should have gotten that one instead for her to try before I dropped money on the Kimber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast