Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: ATI (American Tactical Imports) FX-45 Titan SS

Check out the following link for tuning helps and hints. The "Brass in the head" issue is resolved by tuning the ejector, not the extractor. I've had to do it w/ all of my RIA 1911s.

1911 Reliability Secrets

JG

(Allegheny County)

My SW1911 hits me in the face if I don't grip it firmly enough. This doesn't happen to me any more, but it is kind of entertaining when I hand it to other people
    Stay frosty....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgillaspy View Post
    Check out the following link for tuning helps and hints. The "Brass in the head" issue is resolved by tuning the ejector, not the extractor. I've had to do it w/ all of my RIA 1911s.

1911 Reliability Secrets

JG
    Thank you! After doing some reading, I suspected as much. But, since using different ammo, I now only get the occasional tap (no more so than with any other 1911). The PMC bronze runs fine in all of my other guns, but this one seems to be happier with WWB (in fact, I've switched to that as target ammo across the board).
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

As a follow-up, I have posted some info related to the Titan guide rod/recoil spring assy and bushing/plug. No evil intent to duplicate posts, but I feel this is relevant to the thread, should anyone consider getting one, or already have one with these issues. The post is here (and I imagine all follow-ups related to it should be attached to that post - not this one):

http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...-fix-info.html
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

Neat stuff. When I scrolled down the page and saw you used a Kimber captive GRA instead of the Colt parts I saw others suggesting in the other threads related to this issue. At first glance I was like, oh wait... that looks familiar!

(Iseewhatyoudidrightthere)

Hope it works out for you. I haven't had any issues with that style of GRA IN her Kimber UCII. So if the dimensions are similar I'd expect you won't have any trouble with it in your gun either.

Good thinking!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! It was truly a gamble. But, I'd seen some people who used the Colt part indicating that the spring tension was heavier. I guessed that the Kimber UC might perform better. Really, it was just a guess. Fortunately, this time, I was right. Ordinarily, I would have retired the gun, or to be fair to a buyer or shop, traded or sold it "as is", advising that "these parts are bad, you'll need them, have fun". But in all other respects, the gun's a nice one, so I thought it was worth the risk. As you suggested, I don't see any reason why it'll introduce problems down the road. If for any reason it does, I'll post back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123