Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

kids back to school I wait for the bus in the morning with them.Is cc or oc legal or are they laws against doing so .This would be by the entrance to place I live on a main street (susquehanna).

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

If you're not on school property, then it's legal.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    If you're not on school property, then it's legal.
    In this case I agree but just to supplement
    By statute, any conveyance of transport you do with you kids is also "illegal".
    Sitting in your driveway about to leave to drop your kids off at school while armed may be committing a crime

(Montgomery County)

The only time they are in the car with is from my house to the bus stop on the curb.If I do take them to school on occasions I always go unarmed.Mine concern is standing by the bus stop waiting with my kids armed legal or not thats all .Please respond only with a good legal answer.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    In this case I agree but just to supplement
    By statute, any conveyance of transport you do with you kids is also "illegal".
    Sitting in your driveway about to leave to drop your kids off at school while armed may be committing a crime
    You're going to have to support this statement with some sort of statute saying so. I'm not going to believe that I may be committing a crime by sitting in my car, across the street from a school, at least if I have a PA license to carry.

(Berks County)

You're going to have to support this statement with some sort of statute saying so. I'm not going to believe that I may be committing a crime by sitting in my car, across the street from a school, at least if I have a PA license to carry.
    ^^^exactly..you beat me to it

(Lackawanna County)

I should add that my boyfriend has told me that he attended a school trip with his daughter while armed. He had the option of either taking the schoolbus with the kids, or driving on his own, like other parents did. He chose to drive, because the bus is school property. The trip was to a pumpkin patch, which wasn't school property, so no laws were broken.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jloop10 View Post
    ^^^exactly..you beat me to it

It's right here in the statutes, found at the top of every page...

18 Pa.C.S. § 912: Possession of weapon on school property
    (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    (c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

Found here... http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...hool-property/

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lycoming County)

You're going to have to support this statement with some sort of statute saying so.
    Here you go;

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose

It has been discussed, on here, ad nauseum, that this section applies to your POV.

Be safe (and make your own determination).

Scott

(Lancaster County)

I've called my sheriff's office on something similar to this and along with that conversation, I was told that its one of those grey areas of the laws. A school bus is considered school property whereas it falls under the same laws of school property and schools in general, but the stop itself and sidewalk, driveways, etc is not of course.

I drop my child off at his stop as well. I'm about 10-15 feet away from the stop and have my gun in my possession, on me or in my car with me, I would say unless there is a law specifically saying you cannot CC or OC within a certain amount of feet of the bus, your ok.

But my strong suggestion would be to CC instead of OCing and no one will be the wiser. You know how some of these parents can be..especially if they see a someone walking around a school bus stop with a gun on there hip. No need to bring more attention to yourself then necessary when none is due.

Just my 2¢
    I glock my glock so much.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast