Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

Quote Originally Posted by schneppee View Post
    I am new to the PAFOA site. I like to see what is going on in near states.

I have a CCW (called CPL) here in Michigan. I have been told numerous times that a gun in my possession within 1000 feet of a school, according to the Fed's, automatically gets me 10 years no questions asked.

I would be careful. Having a permit does not make you immune.
    That's the federal school zone law, and having a permit/license issued by the state in which the school is located makes you exempt from that law.

That said, once again I will point out that THIS particular discussion is NOT about carry in a school zone, it's about having a gun in your car while waiting for a school bus.

Can we PLEASE just discuss the question that was asked? I know it's difficult to stay on topic, but try it -- you might accidentally learn something.

Default Re: school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The section heading refers to "on school property." Then it specifies "any conveyance." I take that to mean the conveyance has to be school property. We know we can carry in our cars with a LTCF. You can do that with your child in the car. Why would driving the child to school in a personal vehicle to school be an exception? I think that "on school property" is the main condition that includes all school property including conveyances. Of course, not being a lawyer mine is not an opinion to rely upon. And since my kids are 35 and 40 I don't have to drive them to school anymore.
    I respectfully submit that your "take" is incorrect. Don't cherry pick and quote fragments of sentences in order to arrive at the result you would like to see. Read the entire sentence or paragraph.

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    In other words, the conveyance prohibition is a separate entity from the buildings and grounds of a school. "Any" conveyance means "any" conveyance. It does not say "any conveyance owned by the school."

"Or" is a dividing conjunction. What appears on one side of "or" is different than and separate from what appears on the other side of "or." They are independent and mutually exclusive: as in "Do you prefer chocolate ice cream or vanilla ice cream?"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456