Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Here you go;

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose

It has been discussed, on here, ad nauseum, that this section applies to your POV.

Be safe (and make your own determination).

Scott
    Technically your private vehicle (or for that matter, a school bus) is not a conveyance to any school until it has arrived there. So you could legally ride around the block, up and down the road, ect. with a gun in the vehicle and you have not violated 912 until that vehicle has been used as a conveyance to the school (arrived at the school). If you never arrive at the school, its just another vehicle travelling down the road.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Technically your private vehicle (or for that matter, a school bus) is not a conveyance to any school until it has arrived there. So you could legally ride around the block, up and down the road, ect. with a gun in the vehicle and you have not violated 912 until that vehicle has been used as a conveyance to the school (arrived at the school). If you never arrive at the school, its just another vehicle travelling down the road.
    Interesting how this could potentially apply to a personal vehicle.

(Lancaster County)

But isn't that pretty much the crux of the problem? Your private property, your vehicle runs afoul of this poorly written law if your kid misses the bus and you drive them to school and you happen to have your firearm with you.

I'm quite certain a large number of persons here always have their firearm with them, why should one have to disarm just to drop their kid off at the door.

The law is fundamentally flawed from start to finish, and needs to be repealed.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    But isn't that pretty much the crux of the problem? Your private property, your vehicle runs afoul of this poorly written law if your kid misses the bus and you drive them to school and you happen to have your firearm with you.

I'm quite certain a large number of persons here always have their firearm with them, why should one have to disarm just to drop their kid off at the door.

The law is fundamentally flawed from start to finish, and needs to be repealed.
    I agree.
    If I were to have to defend against this, my defense would be that my vehicle is not used as a conveyance to school UNTIL it has been used as a conveyance to school. Which means that I havent done anything illegal until Im on school property with my firearm.
    Then theres that nagging sentence about "lawful purpose".
    Is dropping your kid off at school a "lawful purpose". Considering that its state law that your kid attends school, I think it may be.
    Last edited by ray h; September 15th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I agree.
    If I were to have to defend against this, my defense would be that my vehicle is not used as a conveyance to school UNTIL it has been used as a conveyance to school. Which means that I havent done anything illegal until Im on school property with my firearm.
    Then theres that nagging sentence about "lawful purpose".
    Is dropping your kid off at school a "lawful purpose". Concidering that its state law that your kid attends school, I think it may be.
    Yes, if only we could get someone arrested so they could become a test case...
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

A bus stop isn't school property unless it is in fact deeded to a school or a Right-of-Way issued to the school.

It can be argued that your transporting the kids to/from the bus stop isn't in defiance of §912(b) because you are transporting to/from home and a bus stop. Now if you drive your kids to/from school itself - yes, your car could be construed to be one of those "conveyance" mentioned in §912(b).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    Interesting how this could potentially apply to a personal vehicle.
    It doesn't unless you are providing a service for the district. Ex: sometimes districts will pay mileage to the parent of a special ed student to transport his own or a couple special ed kids.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    It doesn't unless you are providing a service for the district. Ex: sometimes districts will pay mileage to the parent of a special ed student to transport his own or a couple special ed kids.
    Not true. "any" is a strong word

or in any conveyance providing transportation to or fro

(Allegheny County)

I called pa state police and they said that it is not considered a school zone unless its actually within the 1000 yards or feet of a school no legal action can be taken against you for oc or cc at a school bus stop unless it is within that range of a school.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokerinhand1119 View Post
    I called pa state police and they said that it is not considered a school zone unless its actually within the 1000 yards or feet of a school no legal action can be taken against you for oc or cc at a school bus stop unless it is within that range of a school.
    Did they really say yards or feet? LMAO
    Bit of a difference there...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast