Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: school bus stop cc/oc ok or not

I would be cc anyway after all think of the kids and parents.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Here you go;

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose

It has been discussed, on here, ad nauseum, that this section applies to your POV.

Be safe (and make your own determination).

Scott
    I am aware of the statute but that didn't answer my question because at what point my car or my dryway or the bus stop became school property?.Is there a statute that makes it illegal ?
    Last edited by stefano225; September 15th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by stefano225 View Post
    I am aware of the statute but the didn't answer my question because at what point my car or my dryway or the bus stop became school property?.I don't think that answer my question.

There is no statute that answers your question, because the bus stop is not enumerated as a prohibited place.

Federal law defines the Gun Free School Zone as being within 1000' of school property, and it's prohibited unless you have a license/permit issued by the state in which the school resides.

PA law says no weapons on school property, unless possessed "for other lawful purpose", and then fails to define what that means.

I have never seen any law that claims a school bus stop as school property.

I believe the preponderance of the evidence is that you are legal at the bus stop, particularly is you have your PA LTCF... you do have that, yes?

I am not a lawyer, and my advice is worth what you paid for it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    There is no statute that answers your question, because the bus stop is not enumerated as a prohibited place.

Federal law defines the Gun Free School Zone as being within 1000' of school property, and it's prohibited unless you have a license/permit issued by the state in which the school resides.

PA law says no weapons on school property, unless possessed "for other lawful purpose", and then fails to define what that means.

I have never seen any law that claims a school bus stop as school property.

I believe the preponderance of the evidence is that you are legal at the bus stop, particularly is you have your PA LTCF... you do have that, yes?

I am not a lawyer, and my advice is worth what you paid for it.
    Licensed for the past twenty years.

(Monroe County)

My driveway was a bus stop and I stood no less then 2 feet away from the bus OC. The school system cannot lay claim to random pieces of personal or public property, so a bus stop is not legally considered school property.

It should be okay as long as you are not in the school bus as far as I am concerned.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    You're going to have to support this statement with some sort of statute saying so. I'm not going to believe that I may be committing a crime by sitting in my car, across the street from a school, at least if I have a PA license to carry.
    Others posted it (rep sent), but you can find all the statutes at the top of the page.

You don't have to be across the street from the school in your driveway, technically, your driveway could be in Erie, PA and the school in Phila. Same thing.

Some statutes are just.....junk

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    I should add that my boyfriend has told me that he attended a school trip with his daughter while armed. He had the option of either taking the schoolbus with the kids, or driving on his own, like other parents did. He chose to drive, because the bus is school property. The trip was to a pumpkin patch, which wasn't school property, so no laws were broken.
    Gray area... conveyance to a school activity. I'd be careful on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    My driveway was a bus stop and I stood no less then 2 feet away from the bus OC. The school system cannot lay claim to random pieces of personal or public property, so a bus stop is not legally considered school property.
    Agreed.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    In this case I agree but just to supplement
    By statute, any conveyance of transport you do with you kids is also "illegal".
    Sitting in your driveway about to leave to drop your kids off at school while armed may be committing a crime
    However, driving your kids to the bus stop is not...and that is where this thread is based.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post

^This. Bus stops are not school property. They are just random locations they chose to pick up the students.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Gray area... conveyance to a school activity. I'd be careful on this one.

If that was the case, then driving to a public park with a gun where a class just so happens to be having a school activity would be illegal. Like Tootie said, a school can't arbitrarily lay claim to public or private property.

What if a kid is getting a tutor provided for them at home, because they can't attend school for some reason? The tutor is employed by the school, and acting on behalf of the district. Am I supposed to believe that because of that, I can't carry in my own home? Bullshit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast