Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default New Lehigh County License Info

So I went to get my license to carry today and the info here on the PAFOA site and the info from the sheriffs site were wrong. First the sheriff's office that you must go to is in the Lehigh County Courthouse. The Courthouse is at the corner of W Hamilton and N Penn at 455 West Hamilton Street Allentown, PA 18101-1614. There is a parking garage at Hamilton and 4th I believe. I did not park there. I was already parked in a metered spot blocks away. When you enter the building there is a large screening area with metal detectors. Get screened and go to the second floor. There are signs directing you to the sheriff's office. Maybe room 253. There are signs regardless. The forms required are out on the counter just to the right of the service windows, big signs and helpful ladies will direct you to them. Fill out the form and have 2 Lehigh County residents as references to include their name, address and phone number. The cost is $20 and it looked like they had a credit card machine but I paid by personal check. They will only issue a paper license but I was told they will laminate them for you. Once your form is filled out, they will need a state issued ID card (my DL license) and then they will take your picture, enter you into their database and send you on your way with a receipt. The receipt says for gun permit. Turnaround time was said to be 30 plus days.

Hopefully this will help the next concerned citizen out. I will update this with a day count when I get my LTCF in the mail.

Justin

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New Lehigh County License Info

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmac View Post
    Fill out the form and have 2 Lehigh County residents as references to include their name, address and phone number. The cost is $20 and it looked like they had a credit card machine but I paid by personal check. They will only issue a paper license but I was told they will laminate them for you.
    References can be from anywhere...they can't force you to use Lehigh residents.

The license should definitely NOT be paper. They have new machines that print the LTCF on special "paper"...be sure to let us know what you get.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

The license should definitely NOT be paper. They have new machines that print the LTCF on special "paper"...be sure to let us know what you get.
    I was told they needed to be residents. It was not a big issue because I knew that before hand. Besides I have two neighbors.

I will update with info on the paper type. I hope it will last 5 years.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

It's a paper form, that they are supposed to be laminating; that is if they are using the new & proper form of license.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    It's a paper form, that they are supposed to be laminating; that is if they are using the new & proper form of license.
    Hmm, weird. I got a physical card last year. Must be new.

@OP: They can't require county residents, and unless something changed, the turn around time is drastically lower than 30 days. I think I had mine in 11 days total.

I hope you get it soon, good luck.

Also, the fee was $20? Isn't that actually less than prescribed by statute? I don't recall how much it's supposed to be offhand.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    Hmm, weird. I got a physical card last year. Must be new.

@OP: They can't require county residents, and unless something changed, the turn around time is drastically lower than 30 days. I think I had mine in 11 days total.

I hope you get it soon, good luck.

Also, the fee was $20? Isn't that actually less than prescribed by statute? I don't recall how much it's supposed to be offhand.
    That card you received was never authorized by law actually; but the PSP flat-out ignored the requirement for the form of license to be uniform across the commonwealth.

Last year $25 was the correct fee; the correct fee now is $20.

I got my license last year, but I have a paper license and a $13 refund check from the county because I insisted to be given the proper form for the correct price. That's a long story though, but most of it is posted on the forum already

(Northampton County)

That card you received was never authorized by law actually; but the PSP flat-out ignored the requirement for the form of license to be uniform across the commonwealth.

Last year $25 was the correct fee; the correct fee now is $20.

I got my license last year, but I have a paper license and a $13 refund check from the county because I insisted to be given the proper form for the correct price. That's a long story though, but most of it is posted on the forum already
    I'll have to look for the thread. I don't actually recall how much I spent, that was before I was learned they were charging too much. So Lehigh County is finally in compliance? Damn, and I had to move across Schoenserville Road...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    I'll have to look for the thread. I don't actually recall how much I spent, that was before I was learned they were charging too much. So Lehigh County is finally in compliance? Damn, and I had to move across Schoenserville Road...
    Well they're in compliance with more things now than they were before, not with everything though.

We might get a new Sheriff this year in the election; which will improve things even more if that happens.

(Lehigh County)

Well Just an update. I received my license to carry today in the mail. I went in and applied the morning of 14 September and my license was issued on the 20th. and it arrived today 23 September. The license is paper in a thick lamination. It is identical in size to the Drivers License. I do not think either one of my references were called because I work with them on a daily basis and they have not mentioned it. But I also have a clean background.

Justin

(Lehigh County)

Well they're in compliance with more things now than they were before, not with everything though.

We might get a new Sheriff this year in the election; which will improve things even more if that happens.
    Not to get to far off topic but can anyone tell me where to get more info on the candidates?

Justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast