Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question How do you shoot kneeling?

I've heard support your elbow but for me it throws my shot off almost completely , I have no promblems shooting pistol prone and before you ask why are you shooting a pistol prone I will respond "I don't know" they make us do things like that is USPSA. But kneeling at the matches and at the range I suck with kneeling even if my elbow rest on a table because I am kneeling behind the table it throws me off completely. while I am prone my elbows are not supported because I "puff" out my chest and am aware of my elbows. But tried almost everything with kneeling and no sucess my hits go everywhere. maybe because I have knobby joints but rifle I'm fine kneeling but pistol no way and I thought you would more accurate kneeling? Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

(Chester County)

Default Re: How do you shoot kneeling?

right knee on ground, left knee up. right toes on the ground, left foot flat on the ground. right ass cheek on right heel. left elbow/tricep on left knee with left arm bent. right arm straight out.

biggest problem most people have with this is not being able to bend their right knee enough to get their butt on their heel and stabilize everything.

another mid-height technique is to sit flat on your butt with both legs out in front of you bent so that both feet are flat on the ground. aim normally but squeeze your hands together with your knees

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    right knee on ground, left knee up. right toes on the ground, left foot flat on the ground. right ass cheek on right heel. left elbow/tricep on left knee with left arm bent. right arm straight out.

biggest problem most people have with this is not being able to bend their right knee enough to get their butt on their heel and stabilize everything.

another mid-height technique is to sit flat on your butt with both legs out in front of you bent so that both feet are flat on the ground. aim normally but squeeze your hands together with your knees
    Thanks I was use my right elbow on right knee do you think thats what caused most of my problems? basicly I was doing it backwards and never heard of the butt on the ground got to try that , thanks again

(Berks County)

so firing arm's elbow touches anything it throws the shot?

(Westmoreland County)

Squat instead. Kneeling takes too long to get in and out of position, unless it's the last shooting position.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

use the sling too, wrap the sling around left arm and push against it to give isometric tension
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    so firing arm's elbow touches anything it throws the shot?
    The point of your elbow on your knee acts like a pivot, and is an unstable firing position. We always used XACEX's way, with the tricep on the knee. That & a very tight sling.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

Obviously the problem is you're not in a proper training regimen. I suggest you watch this video and practice until you're just as good as this guy.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

We shot a qualifier at last months match that you shot prone, kneeling, weak hand, strong hand.

The kneeling part I just went to one knee and shot like that.. Basically still maintained my normal hold on the gun as if I were standing.

I watched a much more experienced shooter when he did it, he dropped down onto both knees, and shot the same way he did standing up from that point. My knees aren't the greatest, so dropping to both knees as quickly/hard as he did wasn't a consideration for me.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    use the sling too, wrap the sling around left arm and push against it to give isometric tension
    I do not have a sling on my pistol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast