Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question: Colorado Elk Hunting

I've been a member of RMEF for a few years now. As such, I receive a magazine called the "BUGLE" and its the RMEF bi-monthly publication for members.

In the July/August issue, Colorado Parks and Wildlife...ie (PA Game/Fish/DCNR all in one) has taken out a full page add stating they have left over bull and cow tags for the fall 2013 season. I have never seen this add in all the issues I've received.

Question: Colorado elk hunters and those on hunting websites, has there been talk about boycotting Colorado hunting because of the recently passed firearm legislation?

I for one am on the fence about going there again to hunt elk. The issue really ticks me off and I have a tag here in Arizona. But lord knows, once you get the elk hunting bug, its pretty damn hard to shake.

CL

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question: Colorado Elk Hunting

Been to Colorodo archery hunting Elk in the San Juan National Forest, I bought tag over the counter, I was unaware of any leftover tags unless here is just a limit to be sold. One question is was this on a reservation?
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Chester County)

I had a vacation planned for Colorado this fall, and I was going to see if there were any over the counter tags left while I was there, but I have since cancelled that vacation because of the gun laws they enacted this year.

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Been to Colorodo archery hunting Elk in the San Juan National Forest, I bought tag over the counter, I was unaware of any leftover tags unless here is just a limit to be sold. One question is was this on a reservation?
    Nothing to do with a Reservation.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post.

The State of Colorado has run an ad in a magazine indicating they have left over elk tags for purchase. This is the first time I've ever seen such an ad in a hunting magazine.
    I am wondering if the anti-gun legislation has caused a gap in the states treasury as hunters (gun people) are not purchasing licenses and in effect, boycotting outdoor hunting in Colorado.

I ask this because I've never seen any state take out a full page ad, a marketing scheme, to draw hunters...aka...MONEY!

This ad screams, to me and the wife, we need money because we didn't sell tags and we need the money hunters bring in...all the lodges and outfitters, tax revenue, license fees, food, fuel, hotels, motels, ammo, clothing, rental cars and fees/taxes etc...etc...etc....adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars.

CL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by customloaded; July 13th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Nothing to do with a Reservation.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post.

The State of Colorado has run an ad in a magazine indicating they have left over elk tags for purchase. This is the first time I've ever seen such an ad in a hunting magazine.
    I am wondering if the anti-gun legislation has caused a gap in the states treasury as hunters (gun people) are not purchasing licenses and in effect, boycotting outdoor hunting in Colorado.

I ask this because I've never seen any state take out a full page ad, a marketing scheme, to draw hunters...aka...MONEY!

Tried taking a picture of the ad and uploading it but to many pixels. Won't load on PAFOA.

The picture shows a group of guys around a camp fire at night. All men are wearing hunter orange hats and vests with a tent in the foreground. At the top in small letters are three bullet statements.
    1) Live the Adventure
    2) Share the memories
    3) Hunt Colorado this fall

In big letters it reads:

Social Networking Colorado Style and then the group of guys around the fire.

At the bottom:

Bull elk licenses still available and then the season dates.

Followed by numbers to call or websites to purchase or help plan your hunt.

Hope this helps

To me, this screams, we need money because we didn't sell tags and we need the money hunters bring in...all the lodges and outfitters, tax revenue, license fees, food, fuel, hotels, motels, ammo, clothing, rental cars and fees/taxes etc...etc...etc....adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars.

CL
    As a part Coloradan/part Pennsylvanian, seeing what has happened to my state out west is a hard thing to take. Colorado is a very polarized place these days and the rural people in CO are being treated like absolute garbage by the state government. Which is kind of bizarre as rural Colorado built the wealth of the state and provides/provided oil, gas, coal, minerals, hydro and wind power, agriculture, etc

I would go elk hunting in Colorado. And the reason why is the places where elk hunting goes on is far away from all the neo zoom dweebies in Boulder and the small rural communities in Colorado need every bit of help they can. Don't abandon them.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I would go elk hunting in Colorado. And the reason why is the places where elk hunting goes on is far away from all the neo zoom dweebies in Boulder and the small rural communities in Colorado need every bit of help they can. Don't abandon them.
    They are now collateral damage.

Actions have consequences. Colorado's elected leaders decided to piss on gun owners. Now they reap what they've sown.

P.S. You can go elk hunting in Oregon. A friend of mine dropped a 1,600-pound bull one year.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    They are now collateral damage.

Actions have consequences. Colorado's elected leaders decided to piss on gun owners. Now they reap what they've sown.
    Thing is, they could care less, couldn't care at all. They are about as detached from reality as anyone could possibly be. There is no way I can explain the disconnect going on unless you have experienced it yourself.

50,000 members here and I get one response? One? pathetic...and thank you Sir for responding and staying on topic.

CL

(Wayne County)

Why would you leave one thin dime in the hands of the Colorado politicians? They hate guns and your 2nd amendment rights. If Colorado was the only state to hunt elk in I might tell you yes but there are about 7 other states that you can hunt elk in. I went to Montana last year and seen tons of elk on the ranch we hunted. Just like Remington in ilion NY, I refuse and will not leave one thin dime for Chuck Schumer, Bloomberger or Commie coumo in thier tax coffers. I have the chioce of buying a Winchester or Cooper arms instead of a Remmy. I hope this helped and good luck hunting wherever you decide.

(Washington County)

Same questions have been posted on HuntingPA.com. The Outdoor Channel decided to not video any hunts in Colorado. That said, if you do some searches it seems that hunting applications INCREASED this year...at least according to the Colorado DCNR...not sure if I buy it. Why would they advertise if it did? Maybe some people had a change of heart when it affected the rural areas.

Not sure how I feel about it but I'd love to go back. Last time I was there I bought my archery tag over-the-counter. I'm assuming it's still the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast