Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: carrying a semi auto pistol while hunting

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    OK, so the LTCF is your regular concealed license that you get from your local county Sherrif's office?
    Correct

The hunting license that you buy each season in conjunction with your hunter education certificate does not allow you to carry a handgun for personal protection while hunting?
    See below edit

I could have swaer that you could carry a handgun if you have a hunting license while hunting.

See below edit

The sportsman license what is it and how do you get one.?
    They are issued through the county treasurer
    I'm not up on it because a LTCF covers all of it
    Try this: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/03...3/s33.118.html
    (a) The Pennsylvania sportsman’s firearm permit form is a prenumbered three-part form furnished by the State Police under section 6106(c) of the act (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license). This permit, granting exemption to section 6106(a) of the act, is issued in conjunction with a hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs, under section 6106(b)(9) and (10) and (c) of the act. A written request for these forms may be directed to the Pennsylvania State Police, Attention: Firearm Unit, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17110. Telephone requests will not be honored. The State Police shall furnish official permit forms to the county treasurer upon request. Requests shall be made 3 weeks prior to the time of actual need. Upon receipt, the county treasurer shall remit to the State Police the sum of $1 for each official permit form furnished in accordance with section 6106 (c) of the act.

(b) The Pennsylvania sportsman’s firearm permit shall be completed as indicated in the block instructions. It can either be typewritten or printed in blue or black ink with a ballpoint pen. Copies shall contain legible impressions. The original shall be issued to the licensee and is valid for 5 years from date of issue. The first copy shall be transmitted by the issuing authority within 7 business days by first class mail to the State Police, Attention: Firearm Unit, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17110. The issuing authority shall retain the second copy for 2 years after the expiration date.
    A sportsman's permit only allows the firearm to be carried during and to and from those activities permitted (hunting, fishing, fur taking, and I guess dog training) which leads me to believe it would indeed be legal to conceal the firearm, but I'm not positive.

Soryy for all the questions but i have never hunted in Pennsylvania before.
    No sweat. Hopefully I'm on target. That's what we are all here for.
    Trust me if I'm wrong I'll be corrected where I've gone astray.

Edit:
    It is legal to open carry a revolver legal for hunting without a LTCF or SP.
    post has been edited for clarity
    Last edited by God's Country; March 13th, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Bradford County & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

I stand corrected.... I really haven't had the time to hunt the last few years, so I haven't even bothered to buy a hunting license and be kept totally up to date. I also realized that I stated a Sportman's permit was issued by the sheriff...That is incorrect as well. The Country treasurer issues those, but being as I haven't purchased one in about 15 years or so, I guess I forgot that....thanks again people!

(Centre County)

Sorry GC, I swear the last time I was at the sheriff office they asked my if I wanted a CC permit or a Sportsman permit. I guess I was wrong or maybe in Huntingdon County that is way it is handled. Maybe the receptionist would have sent me to the courthouse. Whatever the case. I stand corrected.
    Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

My posts 28 and 31 have been edited with regard to needing a LTCF or SP
    to open carry a revolver which is legal for hunting.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

Is there any change to this for 2008 hunting season?

I don't have my 2007 hunters digest anymore - but I swear they changed the wording - in the 08 digest page 20

(Monroe County)

I'm on my 3rd SP from Lehigh Co. You can carry but you have to unload before getting in your car as per game rules.
    But posts on here got me wondering were would hunting rules stop and open carry rule start?
    I have a custom leg drop for my Dan Wesson .357.

(Lancaster County)

I was actually asking about carrying a semi with a LCTF while hunting - is this still permitted - I know it started in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by KLiQ View Post
    I was actually asking about carrying a semi with a LCTF while hunting - is this still permitted - I know it started in 2007
    YES.......
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I'm on my 3rd SP from Lehigh Co. You can carry but you have to unload before getting in your car as per game rules.
    But posts on here got me wondering were would hunting rules stop and open carry rule start?
    I have a custom leg drop for my Dan Wesson .357.
    Open carry laws do not apply when you are hunting during archery season. You need a LTCF to carry a self defense weapon while hunting during Archery season or carrying a concealed weapon at any time while hunting.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Open carry laws do not apply when you are hunting during archery season. You need a LTCF to carry a self defense weapon while hunting during Archery season or carrying a concealed weapon at any time while hunting.

re: "... or carrying a concealed weapon at any time while hunting"

A Sportsman's Permit allows concealed carry when hunting with a handgun.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast