Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Bradford County & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: carrying a semi auto pistol while hunting

Just remember...It's is ILLEGAL even with a LTCF, to spot light big game while in possession of a loaded/concealed firearm. And get this one: That can also include shining your headlights, if the authorities think you are purposely looking at deer. I had it happen to me over at the old Budd Company a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordCOHunter View Post
    Just remember...It's is ILLEGAL even with a LTCF, to spot light big game while in possession of a loaded/concealed firearm. And get this one: That can also include shining your headlights, if the authorities think you are purposely looking at deer. I had it happen to me over at the old Budd Company a few years back.

This is no longer true. It officially changed this past season. Anyone who has a LTCF can carry any weapon the permit allows while hunting and spotlighting.

The change is clearly printed on page 7 of the latest digest.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Maybe I shouldn't ask.....

Ahhh, what the heck. If you are armed with a long gun, why do you want to carry a semi-auto pistol. IMHO, it is just one more thing to have to carry. I have at times carried the old wheel-gun (ie. .357 mag), but I had every intention of using it if the opportunity presented itself.

Also, how do you carry? I wear bib overalls and a carhartt coat and about 3 layers of clothing. If I needed to pull my gun in self defense and it was concealed, I'd be dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordCOHunter View Post
    As the other poster has already pointed out, a few years ago it was illegal to spotlight and have a concealed firearm/LTC with you, however the law has since changed.

It is now legal to spotlight and have a loaded firearm/LTC in the vehicle. You may want to brush up on the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't ask.....

Ahhh, what the heck. If you are armed with a long gun, why do you want to carry a semi-auto pistol. IMHO, it is just one more thing to have to carry. I have at times carried the old wheel-gun (ie. .357 mag), but I had every intention of using it if the opportunity presented itself.

Also, how do you carry? I wear bib overalls and a carhartt coat and about 3 layers of clothing. If I needed to pull my gun in self defense and it was concealed, I'd be dead.
    I tend to agree during the general firearms season. During that season depending on my planned hunt I bring either my 586, or most often I stick my 637 in my front pocket. I may not need a gun during the firearms season, but I also don't want to leave my handgun in the vehicle.

Before this law changed it was illegal to carry any firearm during the archery season. Now I can legally carry a suitable hangun during that 6 week season.
    Also it's nice to have a good auto when I am only armed with a bow or muzzleloader.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Before this law changed it was illegal to carry any firearm during the archery season. Now I can legally carry a suitable hangun during that 6 week season.
    Also it's nice to have a good auto when I am only armed with a bow or muzzleloader.[/QUOTE]

I do agree!

If a bow was a superior weapon, we all would have head-dresses and face paint.

As far as the smokepole. Well, I am lucky if I hit the broadside af a barn, that is if it goes off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Monroe County)

The LTCF is it a concealed license to carry concealed , i mean your regular conceal license or is it the license you get when you Purchase your PA state game license , i thought if you have a pa hunting license you could take a handgun with you when you go hunting (not to hunt with the handgun)? Am i mistaken ?

Thanks, Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The LTCF is it a concealed license to carry concealed , i mean your regular conceal license or is it the license you get when you Purchase your PA state game license , i thought if you have a pa hunting license you could take a handgun with you when you go hunting (not to hunt with the handgun)? Am i mistaken ?

Thanks, Nyman
    Yes you are mistaken
    The LTCF permits you to carry any weapon allowed by the permit, that does include long arms. The permit is to carry and conceal if you choose. You are under no obligation to do so.

A game license does not permit you to carry a firearm at all except for legal hunting activities which includes certain long arms. That has always been the case, at least in my 25yrs or so of hunting.
    You cannot carry or conceal any handgun during hunting without a LTCF or a sportsmen’s carry permit. I honestly do not know if a sportsmen’s permit allows you to conceal a handgun while hunting. Before last year with a LTCF any semi auto handgun, or rim fire handgun was prohibited to carry while hunting, as well as and firearm during archery. This is no longer the case. A LTCF now permits the holder to carry any legal weapon that the permit allows during any hunting activity.
    Hope I didn't miss anything.

Edit:
    It is legal to open carry a revolver legal for hunting without a LTCF or SP
    Last edited by God's Country; March 13th, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

OK, so the LTCF is your regular concealed license that you get from your local county Sherrif's office?

The hunting license that you buy each season in conjunction with your hunter education certificate does not allow you to carry a handgun for personal protection while hunting?

I could have swaer that you could carry a handgun if you have a hunting license while hunting.

The sportsman license what is it and how do you get one.?

Soryy for all the questions but i have never hunted in Pennsylvania before.

Nyman

(Centre County)

The sportsman license is also obtain through the county sheriff office or courthouse. When you apply you simply request one or the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast