Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: carrying a semi auto pistol while hunting

Just you let you know, I was stopped by a PGC officer while hunting before I had my LTCF and he asked about my side arm which was a Ruger Blackhawk .357. I showed him the gun and he asked for my PA Sportsman's Firearm Permit. I was like, "What the Hell is that?" He told me that it was a permit that a hunter needed to obtain to carry a pistol while hunting if said hunter did not have an LTCF. He didn't give me a fine or anything, just the info of where to get the permit. I got one the next day at my county courthouse, like 9 bucks if I remember right, and it is good for 5 years.

It says right on the side nest to my info: "This permit must be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, fishing, furtaking license or a permit to train hunting dogs when actually hunting, fishing, trapping, or training hunting dogs ot going to or from the place where you hunt, fish trap, or train dogs. Not Valid for any other reason. You must produce both this permit and your applicable license upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer.

Just wondering if anyone else has one of these or was told something similar?

(Bucks County)

Here is the quote from the PA State Police:

Who can apply for a Sportsman’s Fireman Permit?

An individual who is age 18 or older and is licensed to hunt, trap or fish, or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, may apply for a Sportsman's Firearm Permit by submitting a completed application along with the required fee to the county treasurer's office. The permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any "legal firearm", when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs. The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places. A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed.

This is from: http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=70426

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by techieguy View Post
    Here is the quote from the PA State Police:

Who can apply for a Sportsman’s Fireman Permit?

An individual who is age 18 or older and is licensed to hunt, trap or fish, or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, may apply for a Sportsman's Firearm Permit by submitting a completed application along with the required fee to the county treasurer's office. The permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any "legal firearm", when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs. The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places. A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed.

This is from: http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=70426

What exactly are you getting at with this post? I never stated anything about concealed carry. I stated that I was told by a PGC officer that confronted me while hunting that any hunter that did not have an LTCF needed a Sportsmans Firearm Permit to carry a pistol while hunting, fishing, trapping etc. I believed prior to this that you did not any such permit as per you were "hunting" and obviously needed a firearm to do so.

So what I am saying is that if you plan to carry a Handgun while hunting, even if a single action revolver, you need some kind of permit. Even if said Handgun is your primary hunting weapon.

(Luzerne County)

Exclamation Re: carrying a semi auto pistol while hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    So what I am saying is that if you plan to carry a Handgun while hunting, even if a single action revolver, you need some kind of permit. Even if said Handgun is your primary hunting weapon.
    This is incorrect.

There is no permit needed to carry a handgun for hunting provided:
    The handgun is carried openly.
    The handgun is legal (type/caliber) for taking game being hunted per the game laws.
    The Handgun is transported, unloaded per ss6106, to an from hunting.

If you met the above 3 conditions then the PGC officer was mistaken.

Sportsmans permit.

§6106 states it is unlawful to carry concealed or in a vehicle. Of the list of exceptions is the following:

(b)(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in
    this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting,
    taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or
    are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take
    furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    BUT...Paragraph (c) stipulates that one MUST have a "Sportsmans Permit" in order for the above exception to apply.

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.--
    (1) Before any exception shall be granted under
    paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18
    years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who
    has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such
    person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking
    or fishing license or any time after such license has been
    issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county
    treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued
    immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a
    period of five years from the date of issue for any legal
    firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting,
    furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting
    dogs.

So, if you have a sportmans permit you can do what you can without a permit PLUS:
    Carry concealed while hunting and while in a vehicle traveling to and from hunting (but only during those activities)
    Again provided:
    The handgun is legal (type/caliber) for taking game being hunted per the game laws.

Expanding a bit more...

An LTCF allows you to carry concealed or openly anywhere in the state allowed by statute.
    You can also carry a "non-sporting" handgun for protection, openly or concealed, while hunting. IOW, you can carry a semi-auto even though semi's are not allowed for hunting. Again, the "non sporting" handgun must be carried for self defense ONLY and can not be used in any way for hunting.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; February 21st, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

(Bucks County)

What exactly are you getting at with this post?
    I was just giving informaton from the PA State police web site.

(Delaware County)

Thanks guys, I know this and was not trying to anger or argue or belittle. I just wanted someone else to agree that this PGC officer was incorrect. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks guys, I know this and was not trying to anger or argue or belittle. I just wanted someone else to agree that this PGC officer was incorrect. Thanks.
    Oh, no. I didn't take it that way at all. Your post indicated you were seeking clarification. Hopefully you got what you needed..

(Monroe County)

What is a LTCF? Is is it some kind of special licensing? I thought you could just go ahead and carry your Glock etc. for Personal protection etc, didnt know you need a "LTCF"???

Thanks guys,

Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    What is a LTCF? Is is it some kind of special licensing? I thought you could just go ahead and carry your Glock etc. for Personal protection etc, didnt know you need a "LTCF"???

Thanks guys,

Nyman

You're kidding right?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    What is a LTCF?
    LTCF = a PA License to Carry Firearms.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast