Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 500 yds 20+mph wind & Long Range video (updated)

For a while now, I've wanted to try to share with people, the concept of how far some distances that people shoot are. I'm not sharing this to toot my own horn, brag, or anything else. I'm posting this video for a couple of reason. I want people to understand that for the majority of people, they aren't shooting 500 or 800 yards. Lots of people think they are, and they just don't have an honest concept of how far the distance is. If you don't have a Laser Rangefinder, it's very easy to not have an accurate gauge of how far you're shooting. I also wanted people to see this video, listen to the wind, and understand that most of the time they're not shooting in what they think is 20 mph wind either. Lastly, I was sharing this video with ya'll because I wanted to share with you a place I like to shoot at, and to show that not every day is a "good day" to shoot. All hits in the video were on the plate, lol, but that doesn't mean it was good shooting. I may later release a bloopers real that I'll try to accumulate over some time of misses. We all miss, and the truth is, that's how you really learn; from your misses.

There's no zoom, or anything else like that in this video. I wanted you to experience how far this is with the "naked eye". You can't see trace or anything cool like that because this camera doesn't have any zoom. You can see the country, the conditions, the position, etc. If you listen carefully, you'll hear the hits on steel and how long they take to get back to the shooter. I hope ya'll enjoy, and please feel free to add comments, questions, or anything else. Oh, and it's available in HD.

Edit: Here's a link to the post in this thread that has the 500 yard shooting in high winds. http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...ml#post2378500
    Last edited by Tomcat088; April 21st, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: more fitting title for addition

Default Re: Long Range video

LOL, apparently nobody likes the video. There's been 113 views, and not one comment. LOL, oh well, I tried.

tom, i did not even watch it yet but would like to go on record as saying " if you can hit at the ranges you mentioned , you should toot your own horn!!"

i did watch it and it looks like good shooting to me! you are lucky to be in texas. here is a link to about the best you tube channel i have found for long range shooting. http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645 i just love how this guy explains things and is always focused on the fundamentals.

what rifle and ammo are you using?
    Last edited by ruggerio; April 2nd, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Ruggerio asked the same question that I have.
    What set up were you running in that video?

Looks like great shooting to me.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for taking the time to record this and to share it with us. I can tell you that with my .223 my best shooting ends at 250m.

Happy Easter,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

Thank you fellas, I appreciate the compliments. I can assure you though, there wasn't any spectacular shooting that day, lol. I'll be happy to answer your questions about the rifle. The rifle that I'm shooting is the one I call "Emily", and helped build. I did a walk through of the entire build years ago in this thread >> http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/241...fle-build.html << . It's pretty long, and just goes through the entire process. The last page has the rifle as it currently sits, although that will be changing also in the near future. It also has some groups at longer ranges there also. I'll spec out the build here so that you don't have to read through it all.

Remington 700 Magnum Long Action (started life as a 700 ADL 7mm Magnum)
    Action has been fully blueprinted and blocked off so that it has a custom magazine length and modified the action's integral rails to properly feed the WSM round. Krieger 26" stainless steel barrel, 1:10 twist, Remington Sendero contour, fluted, and chambered in .300 WSM. Shilen trigger set at 1.25 #'s, and a Tubbs speedlock firing pin.

The stock is a Bell & Carlson A2 medalist stock, that has been modified. It's had the addition of an Anschultz freerail installed, which took a bit of doing because of the full length aluminum bedding block. The factory recoil lug was replaced with a wider and trued up lug from PTG. So the bedding block had to be opened up a bit for that. Then the whole action is glass bedded. Then it has an adapter for the anschultz free rail, and uses a Harris 6-9" S-BRM with podlock. The scope rail is a 20 MOA from EGW, with IOR rings. The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm mil/mil.

Sometime in the near future, the rifle will have a stock from Manners, McMillan, or a chassis system. I haven't quite yet made up my mind on what to do with it. If I go with the Manner of McMillan, I'll probably end up running something like American Precision Arm's RTG magazine system. Because of the way I built the rifle, if I start running a magazine system, I'm going to have to start modifying magazines to run properly with the system, so it could make things tricky. I already have a level, and Angle Cosin Indicator on the way. The rifle shoots like a dream, and I believe is worth every penny.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything about the modifications to the rifle.

(Lehigh County)

Great video... thanks for sharing.

I am truly envious of your shooting location. I have to shoot from my dads farm across another farmers field and have the targets on another farmers field to shoot anything beyond 400yds. This takes coordination between the farmers planting/harvesting and my work schedules to make it happen.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Great video... thanks for sharing.

I am truly envious of your shooting location. I have to shoot from my dads farm across another farmers field and have the targets on another farmers field to shoot anything beyond 400yds. This takes coordination between the farmers planting/harvesting and my work schedules to make it happen.
    Thank you, and you're welcome, I'm glad I could share. I'm VERY fortunate to have the location that I do. As you can see, there's even more room to stretch things out great distances, and I do. That's rough when you have to coordinate things between 3 different people to shoot just 400 yards. My hat goes off to you for taking the time to do it. It sure is nice to do anything beyond 100 yards, and just spice things up a little.

Well, I don't think the last video went over too well, or people didn't much care for it. I decided to go for round two, and see if this one was any better. Apparently because of the wind angle, you can hear the hits on this one a little better. I figured people might be a bit more interested in the position, follow through, etc. Keep in mind this is with a .300 WSM shooting fairly brisk 185 grain loads. I hope ya'll enjoy this one, and remember that you can watch it in high def if you're so inclined.

Last edited by Tomcat088; April 22nd, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    LOL, apparently nobody likes the video. There's been 113 views, and not one comment. LOL, oh well, I tried.
    Those jeans make your ass look big. <== How's that for a comment? :P

On the serious side... I'm envious of having such a wide open space in which to shoot. The longest range I've got is 150 yards.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast