Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: FN Five SeveN pistol

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Not to nitpick but the Five Seven was known as a "cop killer" gun long before the Fort Hood shooting.
    No US cop has ever been killed with a 5.7.

Ever.

The Glock was known as "The invisible gun" because it supposedly could go through metal detectors. We of course know that's nonsense.

Didn't Elite ammunition just get raided because of some of their 5.7x28 offerings?
    ATF ruled that Elite's T6 Trident round is AP because it's made of brass. None of their other 5.7 offerings (most of which will blow right through a Level IIIA vest) were affected.

Also, wasn't there a law passed in 1986 that technically makes it illegal for an FFL to sell armor piercing pistol ammo?
    Mfrs. need a special kind of FFL to sell AP ammo. To be considered AP ammo, ammo must meet a very specific list of criteria. Only Elite's Trident round meets those criteria, and was in fact banned.

Every time this subject gets brought up I get a headache. I still don't understand the legality of armor piecing pistol ammo.
    An ammo must be made from a specific list of materials, and it must be intended for use in pistols to qualify for AP.

FN's S198 LEO, SS192, white box SS195 can defeat a Level IIIA vest when fired by a Five SeveN (and so can 195 blue box, at least from a threaded five seven), but neither is considered AP because they have an aluminum core (As does Elite's 2600fps S4M round).

PS: I really like your P90! My old man has one too, but with a 16" barrel. I want an Ar-57 with a slidefire stock.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 30th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

(Bucks County)

I didn't know that no cop was ever killed with a Five Seven. I just distinctly remember hearing about them being called "cop killers" in the media several years ago. But we all know to take everything the media says with a grain of salt.

I don't know where you live but I'm in the Doylestown area, I shoot at Wicen's and Claytons on the weekends, you're welcome to try out my PS90 if you ever want to. Just shoot me a PM.

Awesome, sounds great!

The only US cop ever even shot with a Five SeveN that i know of is the female cop at Fort Hood, but she was only (severely) wounded, taking a 28gr SS192 OTM to the knee (which did put her out of the fight, and on permanent disability even after multiple surgeries).

It was her partner that killed the scum bag terrorist.

I'll shoot you a PM.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 31st, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

(York County)

I love the pistol, and I am going to get one eventually. I just have to stash away the cash. Anyway, for those that don't want to get the PS90, and already have a AR lower, here's my contribution. Nothing against the PS90, I want one of those as well. have the 5.7x28 collection

I love shooting this weapon

P.S. @ Valorius...do you recommend any other ammo than the standard FN in the white and blue box....sorry don't have the technical details in front of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elite Ammunition sells several rounds that are superior to the best FN ammo (SS198 LEO, which is legal to own and sell, but which FN doesn't sell to the public).

Elite S4M is probably the ultimate round available in 5.7x28mm.

The following rounds all use the same 28gr OTM aluminum core, copper jacketed bullet:

(advertised velocities)

FN SS195 Blue Box, Five SeveN pistol- 1900fps- 225 ft Lbs (been chrono'd at 2050fps avg from unthreaded FsN)
    FN SS192/SS195 White box, Five SeveN pistol- 2100fps- 275 ft Lbs
    FN SS198 LEO, Five SeveN pistol- 2200fps- 301 ft Lbs

Elite Ammunition S4 and S4M (Moly coated):

FiveseveN Pistol- 2,600fps-405 ft Lbs (actually hits about 2400 from a stock FsN, and about 2500 from a threaded FsN)

P90- 3,053fps-560 ft Lbs

PS90- 3,340fps-666 ft Lbs

http://www.eliteammunition.net/home.html

If you don't care about armor penetration and instead want a round that has explosive fragmentation and about 13" penetration in gel, the Elite Protector I round is your huckleberry. That uses the same 40gr Vmax bullet as FN SS197, but loaded nearly 400fps faster. (It will still penetrate many Level II vests)

Five SeveN pistol- 2095fps- 390 Ft Lbs (actually seems to hit about 1900fps from an unthreaded FsN, and about 2000fps from a threaded model)

If you want controlled expansion and deep penetration, Elite Protector II featuring the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip is what you want.

Five SeveN pistol- 1790fps, 355 Ft Lbs
    Last edited by Valorius; August 31st, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I didn't know that no cop was ever killed with a Five Seven. I just distinctly remember hearing about them being called "cop killers" in the media several years ago. But we all know to take everything the media says with a grain of salt.

I don't know where you live but I'm in the Doylestown area, I shoot at Wicen's and Claytons on the weekends, you're welcome to try out my PS90 if you ever want to. Just shoot me a PM.
    In the 80's there was a media rampage on teflon coated flat-headed ammunition and it was at the time commonly referred to as "Cop Killer" ammunition even though no cops have ever been killed by it, and it was designed for Police use and never availible to the public. Additionally the teflon coating had nothing to do with or gave it any armour peircing capability whatsoever. The teflon coating was added to decrease wear in the firearm's barrel and that's pretty much all it did.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; September 21st, 2011 at 05:18 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Yep. But of course politicians and the media never let facts get in the way of their nonsensical hype.
    Yes. A politician who's name I can't remember made the bullshit up in a press release and the media hit the ground running with it and no other evidence or source. His speech actually got a lot of local cops killed because in his speech he spilled the beans on the ballistic vests worn by the local PD which actually increased headshots against them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Yes. A politician who's name I can't remember made the bullshit up in a press release and the media hit the ground running with it and no other evidence or source. His speech actually got a lot of local cops killed because in his speech he spilled the beans on the ballistic vests worn by the local PD which actually increased headshots against them.
    I guess that's like those public service announcements against insurance fraud, where they show two people talking about how they are going to scam their insurance company. If anything, it just puts ideas in people's heads.

(Montgomery County)

I guess that's like those public service announcements against insurance fraud, where they show two people talking about how they are going to scam their insurance company. If anything, it just puts ideas in people's heads.
    Pretty much. Most people don't even think about those things before someone gives them the idea.

"Say what? The cops are all wearing ballistic vests but their heads are exposed? Thank you Mr. Politician you just made my career as a criminal that much easier. As they say, knowledge is power."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Elite Ammunition sells several rounds that are superior to the best FN ammo (SS198 LEO, which is legal to own and sell, but which FN doesn't sell to the public).

Elite S4M is probably the ultimate round available in 5.7x28mm.

The following rounds all use the same 28gr OTM aluminum core, copper jacketed bullet:

FN SS195 Blue Box, Five SeveN pistol- 1900fps- 225 ft Lbs
    FN SS192/SS195 White box, Five SeveN pistol- 2100fps- 275 ft Lbs
    FN SS198 LEO, Five SeveN pistol- 2200fps- 301 ft Lbs

Elite Ammunition S4 and S4M (Moly coated):

FiveseveN Pistol- 2,600fps-405 ft Lbs

P90- 3,053fps-560 ft Lbs

PS90- 3,340fps-666 ft Lbs

http://www.eliteammunition.net/home.html

If you don't care about armor penetration and instead want a round that has EXPLOSIVE fragmentation and about 13" penetration in gel, the Elite Protector I round is your huckleberry. That uses the same 40gr Vmax bullet as FN SS197, but loaded nearly 400fps faster. (It will still penetrate many Level II vests)

Five SeveN pistol- 2095fps- 390 Ft Lbs

If you want controlled expansion and deep penetration, Elite Protector II featuring the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip is what you want.

Five SeveN pistol- 1790fps, 355 Ft Lbs
    WOW, that's info overload, I will check it out. I was thinking some stuff for HD, and then also for the effective knock down when I do get the pistol. Sounds like I have plenty to work with now, I really appreciate the information.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast